Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan to Leeson St - Bus or Train??

Options
  • 21-09-2016 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Have been offered a new job in the city centre (Leeson St Lwr) and I am trying to work out the best way to get there. Have checked the trains and its a 20minute walk from Pearse which I don't mind but I might change my mind when winter kicks in.

Has anyone used the Bus Eireann 101x? There is a bus that goes to Wilton Terrace for 8.58, would that be reliable enough for me if I start at 9am?

Also need to check the costs too :(

Balbriggan to Leeson St
    Hours will be 9 - 5.30

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

I work in Leeson St and come from Skerries. The walk from Pearse isn't that bad. It takes me 15 minutes, but I walk fast. There's a couple of buses from outside the church on Pearse 44 and 61 that stop on Earlsfort Terrace if it's REALLY bad weather. They're quite irregular but you can time trains to make it.

Coming home on a bus would be trickier. You'll have to go Northside to get any bus home. (The last 101x is 5.30)

Getting in at 8.58 is extremely risky as you'd have maybe a 5 minute walk from Wilton Terrace, especially if traffic lights are against you.

The 7.54 in the morning would give you 20 minutes to get to work. You'd have plenty of time. If your boss is incredibly strict about start time, you could get the 7.28 and be in for 8.20. OR (!) get the 7.38, change to a dart at Malahide (there's a dart that waits for this train) and you'll get into Pearse for 8.36.

Going home, your finish time is perfect timing for the 5.55.

There use to be a bus that would go from Connolly to Earlsfort Terrace but with the Luas works it's re-routed. I'm hoping that comes back when the works are finished!

Hope this helps in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭HoneyBee78

Thanks very much for all that info you've been a great help. I was afraid of getting the 7.54 train in case its late getting in to Pearse?
    The 101x afaik goes by leeson St so might get in on time also, be handy for the really bad days.
    I've no problem with the walk from pearse that can be my daily exercise :)
    Is it more beneficial to get the tax saver annual ticket? I work local at the mo so no idea on train fares

I really don't want to jinx this - morning trains can be delayed - but I can't remember the last time it was more than 5-10 minutes late. It's the evening ones that end up getting delayed more often! You can check the app in the morning to see if there's been some disaster and their twitter page is really informative so if something major happens, you'll know.

The best thing would be to get the earlier train, the 7.28, (if you're going to go with the train) for the first few weeks and take it handy walking up and time yourself going for the train in the evening so you can see how long it will take you. Bring the heels in a bag and wear your trainers!
    At least you'll have time to grab a takeaway coffee before work. There's a few places at the bottom of Leeson Street that you can get breakfast and lunch.

Definitely get the annual ticket!!

I actually get the bus and rail ticket - this year it works out at €35 a week. There's about a fiver difference between the train only and train and bus a week. It seems alot but it's so handy to have and it includes nitelinks. If you get off the train and see a bus is about to arrive, you don't have to mess around for change.

A day return alone from Balbriggan is €11 if you buy if from the station, and a 7 day is €45 just train only.

You can get a combined Irish Rail and Bus Eireann ticket but that's almost 4 times as dear as the train alone.

If you go onto taxsaver.ie you can get the list of tickets and prices. You'd be looking at getting Dublin Area prices. It goes from Balbriggan to Kilcoole or Greystones. The end of the dart line anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I live in Balbriggan and work on Adelaide Rd. Generally I get the 7.54 and arrive a few mins past 9. I always got the 7.28 at the beginning though! I have annual tax saver ticket for bus and rail. Rail only would probably be fine, but it's handy having bus option. When it's not raining I sometimes get the 7.38 and walk from Connolly. Get to work on time and time to pick up a coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭HoneyBee78

Thanks for much for your replies they have been very helpful.

For the tax saver ticket do you purchase them at the start of the year? And do I need to get a leapcard?

I think I will get the 7.28 train for the first couple of weeks and then hopefully get the later one. I might try the 101x bus for a week too and then weigh up which is the better option.

I'm 25 mins from balbriggan train station too so will most likely drive and park down there (more costs) unless the bus is the better option then I can park in the car park opposite the church.

Going from working part time locally to working in town full time and have a teenager to get to school in Skerries also as I wont be around anymore to drive him over! Its going to take a while to juggle everything but hopefully it will all work out.

Thanks again for everyones help, really appreciate it! ;)

• Advertisement

You purchase it at the start of the year - you receive it around the last week or 2 weeks of the year. Hopefully your work have an arrangement where the price is taken at source, I know it's becoming quite common now. My work usually sends around the application forms around November.

You'll supply a photo and fill out the form and they'll give you the leap card. Until the new year do get a leap card though as travel is slightly cheaper with one.

It sounds like you'll have alot going on in the first few months before you get use to your routine! The best of luck with the new job, I hope it goes really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

RockDesk wrote: »
    You purchase it at the start of the year - you receive it around the last week or 2 weeks of the year. Hopefully your work have an arrangement where the price is taken at source, I know it's becoming quite common now. My work usually sends around the application forms around November.

You'll supply a photo and fill out the form and they'll give you the leap card. Until the new year do get a leap card though as travel is slightly cheaper with one.

It sounds like you'll have alot going on in the first few months before you get use to your routine! The best of luck with the new job, I hope it goes really well.

I don't think that's a hard & fast rule, I was able to sign up to it in August if I so wished.

Advertisement