Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dumbell routine for getting bigger arms

• 21-09-2016 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭

I am in a strength and conditioning gym where we do the main lifts i.e.

Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Press

Along with accessory strength work and conditioning classes too.

However I was thinking of doing one workout per week myself with dumbells to target my arms. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

I usually add arms in at the end of a back/back routine, for 10 mins or so. I find they get a good workout doing bench press, rows etc.

But curls, dips, chinup/pullups, kick backs, push downs are all good. I like to keep the rep range high - 12/15 reps and empty the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Add underarm rows to your barbell list. Hits the upper back too. Also a big fan of landmine rows for the same reasons. Biceps are dead easy: I like dumbbell curls on a seat with the elbow in against the back of the seat. Do a full set on one side, then the other. Seated incline dumbbell curl with a lighter weight with high reps works well for me too. Do hammer curls in the same position if you like. I can't count the amount of times I've seen people swinging their whole body into curls, thereby defeating the whole point - make sure your elbow is static.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

What do you think of this routine as a once-per-week arms boosting session? I can't post links as a new user so you will have to copy and paste the text below

Says 15 minutes but seems to take a bit longer if you do three sets of each.

menshealth.co.uk/building-muscle/get-big/upper-body-arm-workout

Did you consider the suggestions already made in the thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

I considered the advice given! But...I am looking for a set routine to follow, thought this would be easy to find online!

The link I provided appears to give a structured exercise routine, and I am just asking for an opinion on it!!!

• Advertisement

It's not very good. It seems to be fairly low impact, too much emphasis on curls and variations thereof, and I wouldn't bother working forearms directly; deadlifts and pretty much everything else should work them just fine.

Here, do this:

Barbell Rows - Heavy
    5 x 8

Pull Ups
    5 sets of whatever you can manage

Seated Curls (as I describe above) - Heavy
    5 x 5

Seated Incline Hammer Curls (as I describe above) - Medium
    3 x 12

Landmine Rows (narrow grip) - Heavy
    5 x 8

I've never really needed to work my triceps directly, they always just seemed to get worked incidentally by lots of other things, but you could target them with some skull crushers.

Feel free to mix it up in terms of lighter weights and higher reps/more sets.

Advertisement