Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find out property history

Options
  • 21-09-2016 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Is it possible to find out when my house was sold by the council ? Bought 2 years ago but the garage and kitchen that were added over 30 years ago have never had planning permission, going to look for retention and have someone drawing up new plans. There is a similar extension next door and next door but one. My neighbour says the extensions were built while they were council properties and then purchased by the then tenants - would this affect things at all, the current garage extension would not meet today's building regs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Councils did not need planning permission prior to a certain point in time (its not quite the same as private planning still, but it exists).

You will need to look a the folio, if registered; and the deeds if not registered or the council sale is older than the folio.

I would find a garage extension by the council to be extremely unlikely, but kitchen fairly likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

L1011 wrote: »
    Councils did not need planning permission prior to a certain point in time (its not quite the same as private planning still, but it exists).

You will need to look a the folio, if registered; and the deeds if not registered or the council sale is older than the folio.

I would find a garage extension by the council to be extremely unlikely, but kitchen fairly likely.
    Talking to my neighbour, the tenants built the extensions not the council - there is ours and 2 neighbours with similar builds all from around the same time. The council later sold 2 of the properties to the tenants, the other am not sure if council or landlord own it. Have been advised to find out history and any local precedents of similar retention before going to pre planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

L1011 wrote: »

So the folio should show when sold by council? Solicitor has all the paperwork from sale so will check. Thanks.

Advertisement