Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scaffolding

Options
  • 21-09-2016 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Just wondering if anyone has any idea cost of renting scaffolding to rent and install- we have a 2700sq ft build 2.5 story high! Any recommendations wide be great

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

Depends on length of time but you could very easily pay 3k and more.

You could buy your own and get it put up (use some one with a scaffolding ticket or otherwise any insurance you have in place would be voided should an accident occur). You would recoup much of your outlay on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 earlyriser

apologies - north east area

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭FiOT

Our neighbours who started building at the same time as us (they are using timber frame and a contractor, we're block build and self - building - you can imagine the difference in stages!) rented out their scaffolding and paid €3000 for 3 months! That was nearly enough for them due to the speed of the timber frame going up but I still think they needed to rent out a bit of it again for a few bits.

If you are going block build like us, I would definitely look at buying the scaffolding. This is purely my own opinion, but I feel that renting it is throwing money out the window and there are just some parts of the build you can't rush, having your own scaffolding gives you a bit of breathing space if things get delayed... which they will!

We scrambled together scaffolding from different online sellers and borrowed a lot from my boyfriend's friends in the construction industry (then got a registered scaffolder to erect it) but scaffolding is like gold-dust these days, especially the standers. I got a price from a scaffolding company in Dublin for new scaffolding, think it was in or around €18 plus VAT for the 9ft standers, can't recall the price for the 8fts or 4fts. I even think it's worth buying that in hindsight, you will have no problem selling it.

Hope that's helpful, PM me if you want the name of the company in Dublin I got the quote off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

FiOT wrote: »
    Our neighbours who started building at the same time as us (they are using timber frame and a contractor, we're block build and self - building - you can imagine the difference in stages!) rented out their scaffolding and paid €3000 for 3 months! That was nearly enough for them due to the speed of the timber frame going up but I still think they needed to rent out a bit of it again for a few bits.

If you are going block build like us, I would definitely look at buying the scaffolding. This is purely my own opinion, but I feel that renting it is throwing money out the window and there are just some parts of the build you can't rush, having your own scaffolding gives you a bit of breathing space if things get delayed... which they will!

We scrambled together scaffolding from different online sellers and borrowed a lot from my boyfriend's friends in the construction industry (then got a registered scaffolder to erect it) but scaffolding is like gold-dust these days, especially the standers. I got a price from a scaffolding company in Dublin for new scaffolding, think it was in or around €18 plus VAT for the 9ft standers, can't recall the price for the 8fts or 4fts. I even think it's worth buying that in hindsight, you will have no problem selling it.

Hope that's helpful, PM me if you want the name of the company in Dublin I got the quote off.
    @FiOT, Would ya mind PM rough guestimate of cost of buying, Just doing some budgeting.

Fully agree with the buying instead of renting. Makes complete sence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 darragh_1

I'm in north east and got three quotes very recently for scaffolding for 228sq.m 2 storey timber frame.
    1) €5,200 for 5 weeks, 2) €3,430 for 2 weeks, 3) €3,150 for 2 weeks.
    My plan is now to hire scaffolding for 1-2 weeks to get frame fully up, after which stage my block layers / roofers will use their own scaffolding as they need it. Scaffolding does seem in very short supply and firms are pricing accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

darragh_1 wrote: »
    I'm in north east and got three quotes very recently for scaffolding for 228sq.m 2 storey timber frame.
    1) €5,200 for 5 weeks, 2) €3,430 for 2 weeks, 3) €3,150 for 2 weeks.
    My plan is now to hire scaffolding for 1-2 weeks to get frame fully up, after which stage my block layers / roofers will use their own scaffolding as they need it. Scaffolding does seem in very short supply and firms are pricing accordingly.

Buy it if you can and then sell it on way cheaper in the long run. You won't lose money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    Buy it if you can and then sell it on way cheaper in the long run. You won't lose money on it.

Almost impossible to buy these days though! Very little of it around in the quantity you would need. Second hand planks are typically poor enough also.

Advertisement