Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merck Sharp and Dohme and farmer case

Options
  • 21-09-2016 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

What ever became of the farmer who sued Merck Sharp and Dohme in the 1980's? I was reading about it and he would be almost 70 now. Did they sort out the pollution, do people still farm in that area?

Does Mr Hanrahan still live there?.

NOTE: I have no contact with Mr H or MSD, I am just curious

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Most of the farmers in the area work in MSD these days,keeps them quiet;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

he was at kerry coop agm in tralee in june, must be a shareholder and was constantly interrupting proceedings with court papers etc. seems to be a eccentric type of character who maybe thinks big business trying to do him out ,delighted he won his case against merck and dept of ag but looks like he has paid a big price for it mentally,poor man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

From Irish Times in 2010.

TippFM row with Vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

tippspur wrote: »
    Most of the farmers in the area work in MSD these days
    Really is that true? Are they not farming anymore?

TippFM row with Vet.
    Thanks saw those. Is he still living there and are there any problems now?

• Advertisement

fepper wrote: »
    he was at kerry coop agm in tralee in june, must be a shareholder and was constantly interrupting proceedings with court papers etc. seems to be a eccentric type of character who maybe thinks big business trying to do him out ,delighted he won his case against merck and dept of ag but looks like he has paid a big price for it mentally,poor man
    about what?

about what?

Something to do with milk supplied or leased to coop,maybe never got paid?? but he was locked out for most of it,he did come in again at the end with the same grievance but meeting breaking up at that stage

Really is that true? Are they not farming anymore?
    Doing both of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

TippFM row with Vet.
    Wow,that was one mammoth case that he pursued and stuck with it.

No doubt the big multi national tried to break him by drawing out the case for years and there are not many people who could afford to go to appeal.

The fees must have been astronomical or did he have NFNF?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Thanks saw those. Is he still living there and are there any problems now?

My folks live about 2 miles up the road from John. I believe that he's still there but it's old news now. Not sure if it's talked about much. Christy Moore has a song about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

He was on Winning Streak about a year or 2 ago

Ponster wrote: »
    My folks live about 2 miles up the road from John. I believe that he's still there but it's old news now. Not sure if it's talked about much. Christy Moore has a song about him.

Christy is great for making money writing songs out of others misfortunes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭davidk1394

tippspur wrote: »
    Most of the farmers in the area work in MSD these days,keeps them quiet;)

What do you mean by that brash statement ?? If your not from around there how do you know. Unless your one of the f#ckers who zooms up and down the by road to MSD
    Mr Hanrahan is still alive and going and is still causing trouble for other neighbours in the area that's all I will say

davidk1394 wrote: »
    What do you mean by that brash statement ?? If your not from around there how do you know. Unless your one of the f#ckers who zooms up and down the by road to MSD
    Mr Hanrahan is still alive and going and is still causing trouble for other neighbours in the area that's all I will say
    what do you think was he right re Merck?

what do you think was he right re Merck?

It was before my time but I'm in the locality and my parents were young at the time. There was a lot of health problems with both people and animals. A lot of people were sick and there's a high cancer rate in the area now. He was right to take the case as there was a acid taste in the air every morning due Merc taking short cuts to bring their incinerators to the correct temperature. He would have got all of the neighbours support only for they knew the kind of person he is.
    He was the only person able for the like of those companies. But he should have left at that instead of carrying on the way he is

Nothing brash in what I said just the truth,and yes I do live near the place and I know most people who work there because I worked in there for a number of years myself,you said in your next post that you were to young at the time so it's fair to say you don't know what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If anyone wants to follow up on this I recommend Jerry O'Callaghans book.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2433103.The_Red_Book

While I was not around then it doesn't mean I am talking horse shít. My father got purpura in 1984 and my mother had a miss carriage that same year. A number of people around the are fell ill during those years and the cancer rates are much higher in this area compared to other areas. You are right about your statement though. A lot of people in this area were employed in MSD and were payed good money so they were less inclined to say anything, also a lot of these people had young families at the time when very few people had money. Now it doesn't matter if you lived in the plant you still couldn't get a job. John Hanrahan was right with what he did back then.

However since then he has built up a reputation for himself unfortunately. Now you may think my opinion is biased but if your more than willing to visit some other people in the locality you will quickly find out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

A number of people around the are fell ill during those years and the cancer rates are much higher in this area compared to other areas.

Do you any evidence for this statement?

cml387 wrote: »

Do you expect the poster to get a medical report for you for evidence,can you not take his word for it,

• Advertisement

cml387 wrote: »

I have no statistical evidence to show it only the amount of people who have died of cancer in the area and the amount of people who have survived it. MSD are well behaved now but it was Mr Hanrahan who got them to change their ways

I have no statistical evidence to show it only the amount of people who have died of cancer in the area and the amount of people who have survived it. MSD are well behaved now but it was Mr Hanrahan who got them to change their ways
    What sort of numbers died and survived it? Would it be above the average?

What sort of numbers died and survived it? Would it be above the average?

I know 4 people who had it 3 died and 1 survived. That's only people who I know/knew well. All within a mile and between 50 and 60.

I know 4 people who had it 3 died and 1 survived. That's only people who I know/knew well. All within a mile and between 50 and 60.
    Is that unusual for an area like that? I don't know but people die of it all the time

Is that unusual for an area like that? I don't know but people die of it all the time

I haven't a clue to be honest. It was a tough time back then. Going by first hand information from people in the area

I haven't a clue to be honest. It was a tough time back then. Going by first hand information from people in the area
    So you don't have any evidence for highlighted part of your statement
    A number of people around the are fell ill during those years and the cancer rates are much higher in this area compared to other areas.

To back up such a statement you would need to be contacting the health services/ or whatever body keeps such stats and finding out if the rates in the area are much higher. Going by first hand information from people in the area is not evidence in the medical sense

So you don't have any evidence for highlighted part of your statement

To back up such a statement you would need to be contacting the health services/ or whatever body keeps such stats and finding out if the rates in the area are much higher. Going by first hand information from people in the area is not evidence in the medical sense

I thought this was a general forum not a tribunal. What happened then doesn't really bother me. If your doing a project on it well you'd have to go to the HSE in clonmel or Waterford to get statistical evidence

I thought this was a general forum not a tribunal. What happened then doesn't really bother me. If your doing a project on it well you'd have to go to the HSE in clonmel or Waterford to get statistical evidence
    I am not doing a project on it. I did not even know it, you brought it up.But if you say the rate is higher than in other places it is a serious charge and misleading even on a general forum when you have no evidence. i am only interested in JH and Merck. i do not have any agenda either way re Merck and JH just curious how he is now. I do not know him or anyone in Merck except what was published.

It looks like your right and i was wrong. Sorry about that.
    https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1225701-cancer-map.html

• Advertisement

It looks like your right and i was wrong. Sorry about that.
    https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1225701-cancer-map.html
    no prob:)

Advertisement