Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost for rent of Stable and field?

Options
  • 21-09-2016 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,

I'm new to Boards but would just like to get some advice and rough costings. I have a stable (well a large extension to a large block built shed) and a field of approx .8 of an acre. I was recently letting a local girl use it to keep her horse and was charging her €200 a year for the use of both. The stable and field are right behind my house but has it's own driveway/entrance. Sadly her horse has been put down a few weeks ago due to old age and she is not thinking of getting another.

So.....I was planning on advertising the stable and field locally (Rush, Co. Dublin) but I really haven't got a clue what I should be looking for as a number of people thought that €200 was very cheap for what I let the girl have use of.

Their is no electricity but they have use of an outside tap. - I could get electricity put in easily enough if the rent would warrant it so any pointers and prices would be great.

I would have nothing to do with the horse myself in terms of mucking out or feeding so should I be asking for more than €200 a year or ask for a per week payment?

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

My OH pays €50 DIY Livery at a yard just outside Limerick and that includes all facilities, turn out year round, but also a stable and hay in the winter. It's actually quite cheap as most other places charge €70+ for similar.

I would suggest that you provide power, as sometimes a vet might need a kettle of hot water for a poultice. The owner might need it for clipping their horse too.

You might need to consider insurance as well, in case anything were to befall the beasty and the owner came after you.

Edit: Facilities include a large sand arena, with jumps and lighting for night time access. So if you are not offering same, you'll need to reduce your pricing accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Digiman100

Thanks for that!

The field is just grass and just electric fencing/wire I've put around the field, no sand or jumps etc. So as basic as it is and if I get power running to the stable would €20 a week be reasonable to ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

I think for use of stable and land €35/40 is reasonable, especially in the greater Dublin area. If you break down your insurance cost for the year, cost of electricity (both putting it in and whatever is used by the renter/livery) and general misc bits and bobs to a cost per week, will you be making a profit per week?

€25 p/w for grass in Dublin is standard enough, with/without facilities. Throwing in a stable is DIY livery technically, which I have seen circa 50 with facilities. So I'd feel circa €35/40 is reasonable per week for stable and field?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Digiman100

Thanks Silverfox88, I think I might split the difference and ask for €30 and see if I get many people interested.

Thanks again all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Who would be responsible for maintaining the land and structures etc? Like removing ragwort, repairing fencing and so on? Would you pay for the water and electricity? If you look after these then you can command a higher rent. However if your tenant is responsible for some or all of the above you'll need to adjust the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Who would be responsible for maintaining the land and structures etc? Like removing ragwort, repairing fencing and so on? Would you pay for the water and electricity? If you look after these then you can command a higher rent. However if your tenant is responsible for some or all of the above you'll need to adjust the price.

A standard land lease which traditionally has a stipulated 11months with livestock on the land and 1 month rest ,makes the tenant responsible for fencing. During the month rest you a under the obligation to repair any damage ie. Harrowing pock-marked areas etc.
    It would also make the occupier responsible for Public Liability re the Livestock
    Re Ragwort.
    Any responsible Horse Owner should not expect anyone but themselves to remove ragwort from a .8acre field and as the landowner I would make sure they are responsible.
    Re water. Going old school and harvesting the rain runoff from the shed will supply more than enough. I have been doing it for 10 years for 1 horse. A half barrel under a down pipe will be constantly over flowing and so never be stagnant.
    One of the Large white tanks raised 1m to 1m20 off the ground and connected to a down pipe will give enough flow for a drinker with a stopcock.
    Only in extreme cold dryspells or a drought will the tap be needed for drinking water

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

As accidents happen, whatever precaution you take, I would really make sure that the "tenant" would sign something to absolve you from any responsibilities in case of a freak accident that wouldn't be your fault. (Like if the horse escapes by jumping over a 5ft fence, which is the minimum recommended height)
    Proper fencing and providing water are your two most important responsibilities, and maintenance is part of it. Electric fencing should never be 100% trusted: it is fine when part of a wider area from which horses can't escape or get into harms way, a lot of accidents have happened because of faulty electric lines.
    Insurances are key!

Advertisement