Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help: windows 10 and meteor dongle using weeks usage in 2 days

Options
  • 21-09-2016 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

not very computer literate and v. frustrated. have searched google and tried to do what was suggested, (hiding updates so anything hidden wouldnt update apparently) but it failed, and with stupid windows 10, my dongle just went through a weeks usage in 2 days, even though i used it minimally.

you are supposed to be able to set windows 10 so it doesnt update over metered connections, but it doesnt recognize a dongle as a metered connection so gives no option. apparently dongle is recognized as ethernet and theres no way to have it not update connections when you are using ethernet

obviously v frustrated as its eating my data allowance :( even though ive tried to be careful and minimally use it.

please, anyone, help ?

stupid windows 10 (uninstalling is not an option, it has been on there too long to revert easily :(

thanku!

eta this is what i used before to try to solve the problem but it didnt solve it and now i dont even now how to easily undo it guidingtech.com/48828/delay-disable-mandatory-updates-windows-10/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

if The dongle you are using sends out a wifi signal ,
    you could boot from a linux DVD R disc.

You can install linux alongside windows if you dont have a uefi bios.
    Then you get menu load linux or load windows .
    Check is there a linux app for this modem or does it just use a windows installer .
    I,ve never used windows 10,
    only install linux as a last resort.
    linux boots from cd , select try it,
    don,t click install option.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=218

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

riclad wrote: »

Then you get menu load linUx or load windows .
    Check is there a linux app for this modem or does it just use a windows installer .

How is that going to prevent Windows 10 from downloading updates????? Not everyone wants Linux.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/26/windows-10-how-to-stop-forced-updates/#287296e25d1f

Option 1: Stop The Windows Update Service

As central as it is to the core of Windows 10, Windows Update is actually just another Windows process so it can be stopped with these simple steps:

Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: services.msc and press enter
    From the Services list which appears find the Windows Update service and open it

In ‘Startup Type’ (under the ‘General’ tab) change it to ‘Disabled’
    Restart
    To re-enable Windows Update simply repeat these four steps, but change the Startup Type to ‘Automatic’

Try stopping the update service first.
    Win =windows key on the keyboard/

linux may work as a temporary solution ,
    if the modem has a wifi signal.

There may be a system,setting ,security, updates,
    do not download updates automatically .

https://www.wired.com/2015/08/windows-10-security-settings-need-know/

http://download.cnet.com/blog/download-blog/a-guide-to-windows-10-security-settings/

You can also tell Windows to never automatically download and install a driver update from Microsoft. Drivers are the code that Windows uses to recognize the physical components (aka the hardware) of your PC. If a Microsoft-supplied driver appears to be causing you trouble, shut down Windows 10's automatic process by pressing the Windows key, typing "device installation" (without the quotes) and clicking the top search result. Then click the second radio button to get a list of options. Select the second option to tell Windows to never install drivers provided through Windows Update

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mod: Helpful responses only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

You can set your midband service as a metered connection on W10. Windows will only install the very urgent security updates. Go to Network Settings and turn it on. If it's just a new laptop then it's best to spend an afternoon on free wifi at the library installing these updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Metered ethernet connection is a registry hack it appears...

http://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/meter-your-ethernet-connection-in-windows-10/

Not great if you are not familiar with registry changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If WU is burning your cap your cap is probably way too low anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Then you get menu load linux or load windows .

Why does very post of yours suggest installing Linux? Seriously? This in NO way will help the OP, I'm also a Linux fan and user but your suggestions are beyond ridiculous.

IF the modem sends out a wifi signal you can boot from a linux disc,
    it boots into ram.
    loads up the os, without touching the hard disk.
    My other links show how to disable the windows update service .
    So using linux should not be necessary.
    do not click install linux option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

You're just not getting it! The dongle represents itself as an ETHERNET connection (i.e no wifi involved). Your linux fixation is noted but not appropriate here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

it boots into ram.
    loads up the os, without touching the hard disk.
    My other links show how to disable the windows update service .
    So using linux should not be necessary.
    do not click install linux option.

And what exactly do you propose they do after booting into a Linux Live CD?

Your previous link fails to mention that the Windows Update Service gets re-enabled upon reboot, or before that if Windows decides to do so. The only way to disable it properly is through group policies if the OP has Windows 10 Professional, which is unlikely.

Maybe supply some personal knowledge instead of pasting in Google links you've never tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 westkryveggirl

Thanks

I have tried riclad's instructions above about disabling because it seemed the easiest to follow. the linux stuff seems way too confusing for me

Grab all associations: unfort, its not possible to set the dongle as a metered connection on windows 10, as its identified as ethernet :/ thats the whole problem, that option doesnt exist :/

ED E yes, my cap is very low, but im only able to purchase it daily or weekly, and the WU ate up my whole weekly. I had followed instructions in the link i posted in my OP that was supposed to have it not install hidden updates...well sure, it did that, it didnt install them, but it still downloaded them, and tried to install them day after day after day, so that was useless!

So, thanks for the tips, will see if it works.

Can I just un-disable it say once a week when im on a friends non metered unlimited connection and that should be sufficient?

Thanks.

ETA: ok wait, so this will only work until i reboot the computer? hmm yeah i dont have windows professional only the regular windows 10 :/

degsie: Im not familiar with registeries so not sure how to use that option but if thats the only thing that will work i can try to see if friend can do it for me?

So will this having disabled windows 10 updates (without having installed linux) through the instructions riclad gave work, or no? im confused :/

Thanks

This should work ,as i posted before ,

As central as it is to the core of Windows 10, Windows Update is actually just another Windows process so it can be stopped with these simple steps:

From the Services list which appears find the Windows Update service and open it

In ‘Startup Type’ (under the ‘General’ tab) change it to ‘Disabled’
    click apply button click ok button
    Restart pc

you can check if its working ,by,
    From the Services list which appears if you see the Windows Update service its not working .

IF you are using a laptop you could go to the library once a week
    and re enable the update service.
    let it download the updates and then disable it when you get home.

To re-enable Windows Update simply repeat these four steps, but change the Startup Type to ‘Automatic’

In ‘Startup Type’ (under the ‘General’ tab) change it to automatic

click apply button , click ok button

i dont have windows 10 so theres no way i can test it myself.

https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-windows-update-windows-10/

the link above explains it more clearly with pictures of each step.

when windows update service is set to disabled it should not download any data .

turn off pc. Turn it on.
    check is win update still set to disabled .
    the modem you use might have an windows app to show how much data is used
    today, per hour ,in the last week etc.

Thanks.

I followed the instructions yesterday and then checked with your further instructions today to see if it apparently worked.

Windows Update still shows up in the list when i put the msc services but it still does say disabled and it doesnt say running. does that mean its de-activated?

and yeah, its not problem for me to go once a week or so somewhere i can update from. i just dont want it wasting all my usage doing it at home when it feels like it.

i WISH i didnt have windows 10; a friend thought it was a good idea to put it on my computer when he cleaned up the computer; i wish he hadnt, but too late to easily change back.
    oh well, if this works then its a solution, so ok

and nope the modem/dongle is supposed to show usage but doesnt.

Disabled means its not running.
    it won,t download updates unless you Enable it .
    Maybe go to library once a month ,enable it, get the updates over free wifi.
    i have about 8 services on my laptop disabled ,
    eg remote diagnostics roxio disc service etc
    a service is like an app that runs on a phone.
    window services can,t be removed .
    They show up in the list all the time.
    enable =on ,running, disable =off .not running in memory.
    does not start up.
    I Disable apps on my phone too,
    eg google maps, google music

http://www.howtogeek.com/252969/should-you-disable-windows-services-to-speed-up-your-pc/

ok, cool. thanku! yeah its no problem to go to an unmetered place once a week or two, have friends that have unlimited wifi at their houses.

thanks for help !

Advertisement