Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Accountants on Boards?

• 21-09-2016 3:00pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just posting this to see if there is any Accountants using Boards. Just for the purposes of posing a few questions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Just posting this to see if there is any Accountants using Boards. Just for the purposes of posing a few questions.

Nope. Accountants have an innate aversion to Internet message boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

Maybe what's the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Lockedout2 wrote: »
    Maybe what's the question?

Can you give me professional advice for free because I don't want to pay an accountant in real life to deal with my tax returns?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭billcullen1

sullivlo wrote: »
    Can you give me professional advice for free because I don't want to pay an accountant in real life to deal with my tax returns?

;)

I Think I may be of assistance, whats the question ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JoeSoaped

I will give you some advice for free- it is never a good idea to seek professional accounting/tax advice on an internet forum- this could prove costly, the internet is full off "Keyboard Accountants". ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Not looking for free Accounting advice. I'm actually studying F1 CPA. I'm wondering, do smaller firms hire trainees or do they tend to leave them to larger firms?

Ah sorry I was a bit presumptuous, yeah smaller firms do take on trainees, take a look at the training vacancy page with Chartered accountants Ireland as smaller firms regularly post vacancies here, the milkround has just started too, if you fancy applying to one of the big four, roles for trainees seeem to be plentiful at the moment so you should have your pick, best of luck with the job hunt and exams.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thanks Joe. I'm starting the course and I'm disappointed to see that Accounting is a retired module. What also irks me is the fact that the course doesn't atleast cover Taxation in F2, which I'm sure would be an even better start for those entering the workforce.

Why am I asking now, so early and I only started a course? I want to preempt work placement and plan ahead long term.

Ah cool, for taxation my advice would be to pick up a copy of the tax and law manual from the tax institute and browse through a chapter each week, if you get the time. The manual is very good, take notes then browse through CPA/ACCA past papers and attempt some questions at your own pace, this will give you a really sound foundation in the subject and this will serve you well in future exams. Financial Accounting is pretty straightforward until you get to consolidation and group accounts.

Thanks for the advice and direction Joe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement