Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiber to the home broadband

Options
  • 21-09-2016 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi.  

Want to check when fiber to the home broadband will be available in the Ballyard area in Tralee.  Have contacted customer support but they can provide no definite info.  All the Eir cabinets locally have been badged up with "fiber broadband available here" stickers.  

Any info appreciated.

Ron J 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭eir: Ciara

Ron J wrote: »
    Hi.  

Want to check when fiber to the home broadband will be available in the Ballyard area in Tralee.  Have contacted customer support but they can provide no definite info.  All the Eir cabinets locally have been badged up with "fiber broadband available here" stickers.  

Any info appreciated.

Ron J 
    Hi Ron J, 

Thank you for your post today :) 

You can view the most up to date information on the eFibre roll out here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ or you can check your line number or address here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/. I would recommend registering your details on the above link and as soon as the service is available you will be notified.

Kind Regards,
    Ciara

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

eir: Ciara wrote: »
    Hi.  

Any info appreciated.

Ron J 
    Hi Ron J, 

You can view the most up to date information on the eFibre roll out here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ or you can check your line number or address here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/. I would recommend registering your details on the above link and as soon as the service is available you will be notified.

Kind Regards,
    Ciara
    Hi, I heard an eir lady this morning on the radio say that the "blue" bits on the map will depend on the National BB plan, was that right? If so what about the places which have no colour or anything? She was full of stuff about stringing "lightweight" fibre on poles in rural areas, any further info on that? 

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ron J

eir: Ciara wrote: »
    Hi.  

Any info appreciated.

Ron J 
    Hi Ron J, 

Kind Regards,
    CiaraHi Ciara.

Thanks for your reply.  I will register.  I'm an eir business customer and our broadband supply comes from cabinet TWV1_011 in Tralee which is almost a mile from our office.  There is a live cabinet TWV1_044 within 500 yards of the office but no one (customer service or local air staff) can tell me how we can get connected to that cabinet.  If we could get connected to _044 then our broadband speeds would increase considerably which would be of immense help business wise. Would you be able to shed any light on how we could arrange to get connected to cabinet _044 given that it's a live cabinet.
    Regards,
    Ron.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

BarryM wrote: »
    Hi, I heard an eir lady this morning on the radio say that the "blue" bits on the map will depend on the National BB plan, was that right? If so what about the places which have no colour or anything? She was full of stuff about stringing "lightweight" fibre on poles in rural areas, any further info on that? 
    It's the other way around - the blue lines will have ftth rolled out by openeir independently of the national BB plan. Rural areas without a blue line will have to wait for the government scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

jd wrote: »
    BarryM wrote: »
    It's the other way around - the blue lines will have ftth rolled out by openeir independently of the national BB plan. Rural areas without a blue line will have to wait for the government scheme.
    Yea, I must have misheard, looking at the map it didn't seem right. 

Kenny on again about it this am - from the ploughing quoting farmers needs. For example 2million calves need to be registered... If that is the case you would think that the Dept of Ag would offer incentives to farmers to do it online, such as liaising with the the Dept of Comms to provide depots where they could log in  for free, followed up with a deal to get bb, or something like that. I always thought, for ex, that breast scans could be centralised or regionalised where a team of radiologists read the scans which had been digitally transmitted from a scan unit. That would stimulate use of the network and reduce the delay in recruiting radiologists, which has held up the roll out. No imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭shmeee

Hello.

I have a question as I can never get an answer over the phone.

Why can't our house get fibre broadband in the town and our neighbors who are only a couple of feet away can? The hub is only down the road also.

It's a joke to be honest. I can receive the wi-fi fibre signal from next door myself but can't get fibre at our house.

Paying over the top for a standard dsl service and can't get a bundle either. 

Nearly 3 years have passed and still no answers, was told this month 2 years ago it would be up and running very soon. Still no sign and 2 years have passed. Why can't our house get the service?

Can't wait any longer with a service which is overpriced for what we receive in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can't. Its not offered. 

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭hazchem

Hi shmeee

Telecoms cables are run in large cables from 25 pair to several hundred pairs and depending on date of your original line installation you line pair could run straight back to the exchange in one of those cables without being terminated in a connection cabinet while your neighbours could be terminated in a local cabinet due to upgrades and new larger cable installations

Eir place their Fibre cabinets beside those same connection cabinets and loop the the pairs to fibre cabinet so if your cable is not terminated in that particular connection cabinet you wont get Fibre from that cabinet even if its close

Hope this goes some way to explain your dilemma.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭shmeee

hazchem wrote: »
    Hi shmeee

Telecoms cables are run in large cables from 25 pair to several hundred pairs and depending on date of your original line installation you line pair could run straight back to the exchange in one of those cables without being terminated in a connection cabinet while your neighbours could be terminated in a local cabinet due to upgrades and new larger cable installations

Eir place their Fibre cabinets beside those same connection cabinets and loop the the pairs to fibre cabinet so if your cable is not terminated in that particular connection cabinet you wont get Fibre from that cabinet even if its close

Hope this goes some way to explain your dilemma.
    Finally a reason, not just the usual "it is being rolled out" response

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ron J

Thanks for your reply.  I will register.  I'm an eir business customer and our broadband supply comes from cabinet TWV1_011 in Tralee which is almost a mile from our office.  There is a live cabinet TWV1_044 within 500 yards of the office but no one (customer service or local air staff) can tell me how we can get connected to that cabinet.  If we could get connected to _044 then our broadband speeds would increase considerably which would be of immense help business wise. Would you be able to shed any light on how we could arrange to get connected to cabinet _044 given that it's a live cabinet.
    Regards,
    Ron.

Hi Eir.
    Any chance of a reply to this query.
    Ron.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭eir: Ciara

Regards,
    Ron.

Hi Eir.
    Any chance of a reply to this query.
    Ron.
    Hi Ron, 

I am afraid there would be no way of us putting you onto this exchange. Your line is connected to a certain exchange and unfortunately, there is no way of this been changed. Apologies I am unable to offer you some better news today. 

Kind Regards, 
    Ciara

Advertisement