Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 21-09-2016 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Yes you must give notice, how else will they know you're leaving?

You can only use the deposit in lieu of rent by prior agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

I also did not pay the last months rent and am I using that to pay the last months rent.
    Is this some kind of gas/electricity scenario? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

endagibson wrote: »
    Is this some kind of gas/electricity scenario? :confused:

Yes it is Illegal to use deposit as last months rent due to a combination of damages, utilities and any other unseen costs incurred.

You are supposed to give a months notice of leaving otherwise they will assume you are staying on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How long were you in the apartment? That will dictate the amount of notice you need to give.

Also, withholding the last month's rent is not legal, unless otherwise agreed. I don't care what your past experience has been, this behaviour is part of the reason why some landlords are looking for two months deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Yes it is Illegal to use deposit as last months rent due to a combination of damages, utilities and any other unseen costs incurred.

You are supposed to give a months notice of leaving otherwise they will assume you are staying on
    That's not what I meant. I was curious how he was using his last months rent to pay the last months rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

That's not how it works though.

They can follow you for the rent if they wish, most don't want the trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi everyone.

My lease is up on my apartment on the 15th of next month but i have already moved out of the apartment into somewhere else.

Do i need to give notice to the letting agent that i am leaving the apartment at the end of the lease ?.

I also did not pay the last months rent and am I using that to pay the last months rent. Due to past exp of never getting a deposit back from a letting agent.
    Yes there's a thing called common courtesy. It's also illegal to not pay your rent.

I have give 25 days notice and have handed the keys back in already. So more or less they are getting my deposit for 7 days rent. They can put it up for rent tomorrow if they like and make money for themselfs ;)

I have cleaned the apartment when leaving. All bills have been cleared as well. There is No ESB or UPC owed.

I have taking photos of moving in and moving out and the place is cleaner now then it was when i moved in.

Theres is ESB owed, the standing charge will be owed for remainder of the month as will what ever the fridge freezer use etc

What more as you supposed to do?

Fulfill your contractual and legal obligations of paying your rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Talk about throwing your toys out of the pram. Op didn't get the response they wanted so have deleted their opening post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

OP doesn't appear to want to continue this, so thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement