Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a 1:1

Options
  • 21-09-2016 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Any advice on how to get a 1:1?

also, anyone have any advice on 'extra curricular activities' are they necessary for getting a decent job after college?
    I have several concerns as I am seemingly unable to get a job at the moment. I just started my 3rd year (of a 4 year course)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

I can't help you get a 1.1

But in terms of the extra curriculum activity. I assume you're not on about the casting couch scenario.

It depends on your area. For example I've recently hired a guy and a factor considered was he wrote a blog based on the technology we use. It wasn't the deciding factor but it was a strong +.

I know software development managers who are keen on contributors to open software or who have libraries etc on github.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭AlabamaWorley

bren2002 wrote: »
    I can't help you get a 1.1

But in terms of the extra curriculum activity. I assume you're not on about the casting couch scenario.

It depends on your area. For example I've recently hired a guy and a factor considered was he wrote a blog based on the technology we use. It wasn't the deciding factor but it was a strong +.

I know software development managers who are keen on contributors to open software or who have libraries etc on github.

Thanks for your reply.

I meant volunteering or as you mentioned a hobby relating to my chosen field etc.

I am studying Tourism Marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Sorry it's not an area in familiar with. But generally speaking an active and relevant online presence can't harm your cause.

Active in LinkedIn posting messages and relevant links. Similarly for Twitter or instagram. Get separate accounts to keep the personal stuff personal. Use your real name for the serious accounts and a handle for the personal stuff.

Advertisement