Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodies Kitchens

Options
  • 21-09-2016 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Not sure if I'm in the right place. Currently in the process of building a house and shopping around for kitchens. So far Woodies have given us the best price that is within our budget. Just wondering if any has a kitchen from Woodies and how they are finding it. Is it good quality etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

I recently had a new kitchen fitted here, went through about 4 diff suppliers and got 4 quotes.
    I found that woodies were cheap - the materials/designs/ & colours are basic but definitely well priced, also went through the whole thing on the IKEA software website - found it very useful for design purposes but decided that the fitting would be a nightmare - Id say that if you knew someone who had fitted IKEA kitchens previously and had experienced IKEA installations - this should be given some consideration.

Also went to cash and carry kitchens - waste of my time - possibly the member of staff i dealt with but i found them useless.

In the end went to a local kitchen company - probably paid a little bit more but the quality of the finish was excellent.

ps: The woodies manager came up to me when I was in the store and told me that the kitchen dept is a new thing for woodies and they are keen to get it up and running, he said after I have all my quotes to come back to him and he would see what he could do on the price. Id say there is some haggling that could be done with a store manager

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just got a kitchen fitted ourselves. We looked at Woodies and, while there was nothing wrong with their offer, it wasn't that far above Ikea in terms of quality and not enough cheaper than a bespoke kitchen company to be worth going with imo. We actually had a similar experience with Cash & Carry - gave us an initial ballpark figure and then pretty much doubled it when they did up and priced the design. We were looking at their lower end stuff again.

We ended up going with Tierney Kitchens out in Balbriggan. A little more expensive than Ikea / Cash & Carry or Woodies but the service was top notch and the build quality is a level up imo. Had we not been able to afford to take that jump though, I'd have happily gone with Ikea. TBH, the only thing that stopped us was the inability to get some of the details and colour combinations we'd have liked (specifically, we went with grey units and a solid oak counter-top, not a million miles away from this one that they do:

ikea-section-kitchen-texas-9.jpg

With Ikea, we'd have had to have had that exact door to get that colour of grey (we opted for a shaker door instead) and some of the finer details we wanted (like Tongue and Groove side panels) are only available in cream.

If one of their range suits your taste, I'd go with Ikea, the bang for buck is nearly impossible to beat, especially if you're capable of fitting it yourself / have a friend / family member who can who'd help for a few beers etc. If not, you could always try negotiating with a fitter on the basis that you'd build the units from the flatpack and they'd just have to fit them for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Nearly finished a self installation of an Ikea kitchen. Cant fault them on quality, and if you do some reading up online their hinges etc are top of the range. We used ikea as a baseline, had them do us up a design and layout per our spec, and then went and got 3 further designs / quotes based on this. Note, ikea were the only place that left us walk away with the design, which made it handy going to other suppliers and saying this is what we want.

Cant give any info on Woodies kitchens, and didnt include them when getting a design or quote as they were new to it and wanted to go with established quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

we got a kitchen from woodies and have not had any major problems, kitchen is fitted nearly two years now and the only thing that has gone wrong was the handle on the tap came loose but they sent out a fitter to replace it.
    No problems dealing with them but it also wasn't cheap either. Total cost including fitting was above 10k when you add in the counter top. Bear in mind they don't do marble or granite surfaces so you have to go elsewhere to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

worth spending a few minutes using this and bringing it to another company for a price - or at least a guise as to what you want.

easy to use: http://kitchenplanner.ikea.com/ie/UI/Pages/VPUI.htm

• Advertisement

Would second dball's suggestion, we ran a few different drafts of the design through that tool. It's a little laggy and can be frustrating to use at first but once you get the hang of it, it's wonderful.

FWIW, Tierneys let us take the plans and quote with us before we put down a deposit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I bought an Ikea kitchen for my house 7 years ago, I would strongly recommend them. I literally bought the cheapest one they had, off the top of my head circa €500 possibly less it has one of those pull out larder units even.

I'm going replacing it next month with similar quality and the only reason I am doing it is because we had significant water damage in our kitchen last month. If that didn't happen I wouldn't bother, it was in remarkable shape otherwise.

What I did to keep costs down further is, I assembled all the units, doors and drawers, anyone should be able to, its a piece of piss. then got a carpenter in to install them on the walls, cut the worktop and install the sink. Paid him bones of €200 for a days work.

I don't know if an Ikea kitchen is the what you should go for if you want it to last 20 years.

The general advice is spend your money on doors and the worktops if you want longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Dane29

Anyone ever deal with B&Q for a kitchen? Do they provide them flat packed or assembled?

Thanks
    D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sleepy wrote: »
    Just got a kitchen fitted ourselves. We looked at Woodies and, while there was nothing wrong with their offer, it wasn't that far above Ikea in terms of quality and not enough cheaper than a bespoke kitchen company to be worth going with imo. We actually had a similar experience with Cash & Carry - gave us an initial ballpark figure and then pretty much doubled it when they did up and priced the design. We were looking at their lower end stuff again.

We ended up going with Tierney Kitchens out in Balbriggan. A little more expensive than Ikea / Cash & Carry or Woodies but the service was top notch and the build quality is a level up imo. Had we not been able to afford to take that jump though, I'd have happily gone with Ikea. TBH, the only thing that stopped us was the inability to get some of the details and colour combinations we'd have liked (specifically, we went with grey units and a solid oak counter-top, not a million miles away from this one that they do:

With Ikea, we'd have had to have had that exact door to get that colour of grey (we opted for a shaker door instead) and some of the finer details we wanted (like Tongue and Groove side panels) are only available in cream.

If one of their range suits your taste, I'd go with Ikea, the bang for buck is nearly impossible to beat, especially if you're capable of fitting it yourself / have a friend / family member who can who'd help for a few beers etc. If not, you could always try negotiating with a fitter on the basis that you'd build the units from the flatpack and they'd just have to fit them for you?

What's with the pic with the american sockets and light switches?
    Dane29 wrote: »
    Anyone ever deal with B&Q for a kitchen? Do they provide them flat packed or assembled?

Thanks
    D

They offer both.

I built my own kitchen 10 years ago, bought it flatpack from Noyeks. It was a challenge but it's still there and good as new today.

Steve wrote: »
    What's with the pic with the american sockets and light switches?
    It was the first one on Google that came up for the colour combination I was highlighting - the grey Bodbyn units from Ikea with a solid oak countertop...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Sleepy wrote: »

ikea-section-kitchen-texas-9.jpg

What did it cost ?

That's not my kitchen, you could price it pretty handily with the design Ikea tool, but it's not dissimilar.

Our kitchen came to a little over 11k in total for a kitchen diner of 15' 6" * 14' 7" though that includes floor levelling, tiling, tiles, cabinets, counter-tops, sink, appliances, splash back tiles and tiling, electrics and plumbing etc.

The kitchen units, countertops, sink and taps came to €6,500 fitted. Cabinetry would include a high fridge freezer unit, a high double oven unit, 2 corner under-counter units, 2 x 400mm under-counter units, a 1000mm drawer under-counter unit, a 600mm sink unit, a dishwasher unit and above the counter a 400mm wine rack, a down-lit glass fronted corner unit with glasss shelving and 3 x 800mm cabinets (all 800mm tall) with painted solid ash doors, a solid oak counter-top, tongue and groove panelling on all exposed ends (and the back of the glass doored unit), soft-close hardware and pewter handles. The fitting was excellent and they even left a bottle of white in the wine rack :)

I'd have had gotten similar using the Ikea Bodbyn range for a shade over 4k but with MDF doors, without the tongue and groove ends and I'd have had to fit it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 foreverhappy

To anyone considering dealing Tierney they are an absolute sham of a company, I implore you to change your mind. They are an absolute disgrace and they have the worst customer service I have ever had the misfortune to experience.

From the first time I made a phone call after deciding to go with them I wished I hadn't. I rang them 18 times with 1 response, this is not an exaggeration I wrote an email and sent screenshots of the call log from my phone to prove that I was being ignored.

They left the counter top incomplete and it took them 2 weeks to finish after installation, they left without putting a vent on the wall it took 1 week to finish after installation and they only did after I phoned to get it fixed, they left a hole in my back wall which the stuffed with polystyrene instead of filling it properly and fixed that 2 weeks after installation.

When I finally spoke to the manager (he made it clear by his tone that he really didn't want to deal with me) I asked why I was being ignored, he said that he hadn't received any of the messages, I questioned whether he thought it might be an idea to speak to the people on reception and he asked me what I wanted him to do , "Did I want him to fire them?". It was at that point I realised I was dealing with a complete moron and just decided to move on, there really is no dealing with fools like that.

Save yourself the heartache, stress and dissatisfaction. Buy your kitchen from literally anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

I saw Woodies and In House / Panelling centre use the same kitchen photos in their brochures but use different names for them (e.g. Cirrus versus Ashford) so I assume they are the same.
    http://www.in-house.ie/index.php/kitchens/cirrus-detail - if you click on the small side pictures you will see the same kitchen as http://www.woodiesdiy.com/content/modern-kitchens/1319

We went with In house as we need the kitchen asap and they were a good price. We got our builder/carpenter to fit it and there were parts missing (kitchen plan, corner sections, screws, hinges) from the first delivery that the guy didn’t wait for and basically adjusted the kitchen to fit, used his own screws etc. We have a lot of gaps or tight fitting presses, doors falling off etc but hard to know if it is the quality of the kitchen or the fitter. Counter top, drawers and actual doors seem good a year later where as I have seen B&Q kitchen doors peel at places prone to steam or wet (above kettle, under the sink).

As I don’t know anyone good at DIY the next kitchen or floor I get I will make sure the fitter is from the same company to avoid fitter blaming the product and supplier blaming third party fitter.

Advertisement