Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Named driver experience

• 21-09-2016 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭

Anyone had experience with an insurance company who are willing to give recognition for named driving experience.
    I've been driving for 20+ years, myself and my husband shared a car and I was always the named driver. Not one single accident,claim or penalty point throughout that time. I have proof of named driving experience going back to 2004.
    Got my own car last year so I have a full year on my own policy. Like everyone else I got the hugely inflated renewal proposal for this year and I want to shop around.
    Any advice for someone in my situation would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Yeah some companies do. Liberty do I think and I'm sure that there are others. It can be kind of hidden on the web page though. The first box that is there asks if you have no claims. Answer no to that and another box comes up asking about named experience. You'll need to get a cert from the current insurer for your claims free driving. This typically doesn't come on the standard no claims letter that arrives with the renewal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks Donkey, I'll give that a go

According to the lovely people at Liberty
    'Unfortunately you cannot combine these two discounts together. Once you have earned a no claims discount in your own name that is the discount you would use. Discount for named driving experience would only be offered if you never have had insurance in your own name before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Get onto a broker. They took a mix of my own and named experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭markc1184

AXA allow for named experience once the years don't overlap with any NCB you have in your own name. I'm not sure if they have a max number or years you can use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

Try aviva and aa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Try britton. Adding my named driver experience/ncb took my quote from 912 to 480 !

Thanks folks, I'll follow up on those and hopefully get something sorted.
    Cheers, keep ya'll posted

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lola Juliet

I am only finding out the difference between a NCB and named driver discount. I got a policy with itsforwomen based on 7 years no claims bonus which when they have asked for proof I have found out I don't have because I was only ever a named driver up to this. I need to contact them to get this sorted and will inevitably have to pay a lot more for my policy but does anyone know if I will be insured in the meantime? Or if because I gave the wrong information (mistakenly) the policy is void ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I am only finding out the difference between a NCB and named driver discount. I got a policy with itsforwomen based on 7 years no claims bonus which when they have asked for proof I have found out I don't have because I was only ever a named driver up to this. I need to contact them to get this sorted and will inevitably have to pay a lot more for my policy but does anyone know if I will be insured in the meantime? Or if because I gave the wrong information (mistakenly) the policy is void ?

If an insurer is force cancelling your policy they legally have to give you 10 days notice which includes 10 days RTA cover.

RTA is road traffic act and is essentially the lowest form of insurance, even less than third party only.

Best bet is to ring them and tell them you made a mistake when buying the policy and that its 7 years named driving experience rather than earned ncd.

Hopefully they will agree to accept this and there won't be too much of a premium difference.

• Advertisement

Spent an hour on the phone calling all the recommended companies/brokers. The nearest I got to my quote was with AXA who allowed credit for both my own NCB and my previous driving experience. It was €25 dearer than my current company, some of the quotes were nothing short of laughable.

Advertisement