Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a concert hall with good acoustics

Options
  • 21-09-2016 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

My friend's birthday is looming and we've come up with the idea of presenting him with tickets to an orchestra concert. Our friend is pretty... aurally demanding, so Opera House is a no-go. Do you happen to know of any other places we may try? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Opera House is imo the best acoustic space in Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bartpabicz

that's pretty grim news. Any other ideas, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Karmella

I think your bigger problem here is the distinct lack of orchestral concerts in cork!

Years ago there would have been regular concerts but not any more. Although a local orchestra has been set up in the last year or so, and they played in city hall on Sunday night.

The historical venues for concerts would have always been City Hall, the School of Music and the Aula Maxima in UCC.

Bartpabicz wrote: »
    that's pretty grim news. Any other ideas, anyone?

What exactly is it that you don't like about the acoustics in The Opera House?

Have you ever heard an orchestra in the Opera House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 anat

Check out the Cork Orchestral Society website for upcoming concerts. There's also the Lord Mayor's Christmas concert on 3rd Dec. City hall and the Curtis auditorium both have great acoustics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

One of the people at work is involved with some youth orchestra in Cork and told me before that the best acoustics by far are in City Hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

"aurally demanding"
    That's a new one on me. Maybe buy him the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Mm well really in Cork there are two options you've ruled out one so the second is the Everyman.. Or keep an eye out for the concerts they do in City Hall. That or get him tickets to see something in Albert Hall that place is fecking great.. It is like a barrel so you can see no matter where you are, I thought the sound was great.

opus wrote: »
    One of the people at work is involved with some youth orchestra in Cork and told me before that the best acoustics by far are in City Hall.

I've been to orchestra performances in the City Hall and while not bad, it's a bit echoey.
    Opera House, which was designed for orchestra performances, is far more acoustically neutral.

Some people like that "live" echoey sound, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

What exactly is it that you don't like about the acoustics in The Opera House?

Have you ever heard an orchestra in the Opera House?

I have to second this, the Opera House can produce brilliant sound.

• Advertisement

My apologies to everyone - I have been away for the past two days and I've neglected this thread.

@the_beer_revolu
    @run_forrest_run

I'm not really into acoustics myself, I couldn't differentiate a good place from bad, but my friend, for whom the tickets were supposed to be bought, is a person of a more refined taste. And requirements. It's possible that he has just different expectations, but he has been to Opera House on... two occasions I think (Prodijig and Madame Butterfly) and he was really unhappy with the sound. Since he's into classical music and has a good audio system at home I presumed it's true for the Opera House in general. In fairness he hasn't been to an orchestra concert there. Might be worth a shot.

@Karmella I'll keep that in mind and do some research on those venues. What's the name of the local orchestra you have mentioned?

@anat Thanks for that bit of info!

@opus good to know. I think City hall may be the place to go for first.

@Milly33 Everyman and Albert Hall you say. I think we may have to actually check all of those places, including those mentioned above:)

I have to say I'm overwhelmed with the help you have all provided me with guys. I really appreciate your input and time you've spent. I'll share this information with the rest of the crowd and we'll hopefully get him some tickets this week.

Thank you once again.

Just to note that Albert Hall is the one in London just incase like.. I get what your friend means about the Opera House.. If you are into sound it isnt the greatest of places.. Himself is big into having the correct speakers and all that goes so I get it, whilst Id be happy to use any old speakers once you can blast the tunes, he would need specialized ones that make the music for you nearly :) Best of luck with the search

Oh... London might be a bit tricky:)

You could always get a voucher for a show there

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Karmella

It was the Cork Concert Orchestra - someone else mentioned them here aswell. I thought they were great last Sunday night. They all seem quite young which is good to see. They are planning the next concert for early December according to their Facebook page.

The acoustics in City Hall are good, but the floor is seriously creaky and anytime anyone moved it felt like the whole floor was vibrating which was actually a bit distracting! But I couldn't fault it otherwise.

It's probably worth popping into Pro Musica on Oliver plunkett street as they normally sell tickets for anything classical that might be on (and not in the opera house).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Why don't you get him tickets for something in the National Concert Hall? Or check to see if anything is happening in the School of Music, the Curtis Auditorium was specifically set up for musical recitals.

@Milly33 London is really too far and afaik vouchers have expiration date, so I would prefer not to put too much pressure on him - especially with such long distance.

@Karmella Idea with Pro Musica is excellent! I'll get in touch with them.

@Cool_CM I've read some review of National Concert Hall on Tripadvisor and those negative ones sound discouraging - especially taking into consideration my friend's... condition:)
    I will look into the Curtis Auditorium though - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Have a look at what's on in the School of Music. They'll either have it in the Curtis Auditorium or the Stack Theatre, both great spaces.

I would add though if he's that picky, he'll probably complain anyway. Pure notions.

@Herb_Powell Thanks, I'll look it up!

Advertisement