Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Glebee wrote: »
    . Anyone able to recommend a good hoover unit for removing ashes? had a few different ones over the years and they were all crap..

You often see an ash bucket attachment for a hoover ,you plug the noozle of your hoover into it ,and that provides the suction ,then use the noozle of the ash bucket to do the cleaning .. supposed to stop your hoover and it's filters getting wrecked ..

Do you burn on a clean grate everyday or on a bed of ash ? I think I get a better burn on a bed of ash ,and there's a lot less cleaning out ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Markcheese wrote: »
    You often see an ash bucket attachment for a hoover ,you plug the noozle of your hoover into it ,and that provides the suction ,then use the noozle of the ash bucket to do the cleaning .. supposed to stop your hoover and it's filters getting wrecked ..

Do you burn on a clean grate everyday or on a bed of ash ? I think I get a better burn on a bed of ash ,and there's a lot less cleaning out ...

Clean grate I find works best for me, lets the air up through the fire. Ive had a few different type of ash vacuum over the years, including the ones you use you own hover with and always found them feeble enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Bioglow were 355, then 370, now 390 for 2.2 of oak. Anyone see anything better?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Bioglow were 355, then 370, now 390 for 2.2 of oak. Anyone see anything better?

Do you know the Dims on their large crate (they say 2.2 cbm) looks like one from here www.monahans.ie which is 2cbm?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Do you know the Dims on their large crate (they say 2.2 cbm) looks like one from here www.monahans.ie which is 2cbm?
    Do Monaghans state their crate size? Can't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They dont on monahans.ie but their other site logsforsale.ie has the dimensions of the crate of ash or oak for 370 euro, it is 2m x 1.15m x 0.87m = 2m3

https://www.logsforsale.ie/price-list

Ash or oak? Can you not chose, or is there not mluch difference?

Do Monaghans state their crate size? Can't see it.

It’s on their logsforsale site

Ash or oak? Can you not chose, or is there not mluch difference?

Yes you can choose

Help out stupid here. Is there an actual measured size difference between dublin logs 2m and bio glow's 2.2m?

• Advertisement

Have done enough checking out this, that and everything else. Ordered 2.2 oak from Bio Glow and 96 Rocket Blaze from Ecologs. Hopefully that's enough for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

What's the total cost including delivery please?
    Have done enough checking out this, that and everything else. Ordered 2.2 oak from Bio Glow and 96 Rocket Blaze from Ecologs. Hopefully that's enough for the winter.

What's the total cost including delivery please?
    €789 inc. delivery.

Briquettes, 2 days. Logs, 2-4 days, email from UK shippping company says 3 days.

Might have got it a few percent cheaper other places but needed to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

5500 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if there's much value in this but may suit someone not burning too often

https://www.build4less.ie/home-fire-logs-10-for-50-euro.html 10 x 9kg bags for €50, I think most local builders providers or even coops may stock the deal

Just a further follow up on this, I called into the local providers to take a look and they were doing it for cheaper again 10 x 9kg bags for €45. The wood is Birch though, does that make it any less of a deal? I've only used ash and oak in small bags before but in use is there much difference over an evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

5500 wrote: »
    Just a further follow up on this, I called into the local providers to take a look and they were doing it for cheaper again 10 x 9kg bags for €45. The wood is Birch though, does that make it any less of a deal? I've only used ash and oak in small bags before but in use is there much difference over an evening?

Yes there is you will go through the birch in no time at all, it burns hot but very fast. Stick with the oak or ash would be your best bet id say

yeah would agree on the birch. If you were to burn it then its best done at about a 30% level with the rest being made up of oak/ash. Birch has its advantages in that it burns very hot quickly so its a good wood to use to get a cold room heated up very fast. But I wouldnt be burning it as the only species as you would go through a lot of it and quickly.

Price wise 90kg of birch for 45 euro sounds like a very good deal though also make sure it says it is kiln dried to under 20% moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Pallets of (1m³) Hand Stacked Kiln Dried Hardwood
    €190 delivered free
    Murphy's fuels macroom
    http://www.murphysfuelsmacroom.com/

still good value???

The actual ad on the page just says 'hardwood' so Id be clarifying that it is actually ash or oak and not some other hardwood. I dont think it is ash/oak as elsewhere on their site they show 1m3 crates of it for 245, not 190. Chances are it is birch. Clarify what actual hardwood it is, if it is actually ash or oak then 190 for 1m3 is a great price but as they just say 'hardwood' it could be anything really.

I see online that it's all gone up to 245

tinner777 wrote: »
    I see online that it's all gone up to 245

If you are in Cork then these guys have 1.2m3 of ash or oak for 230 which is a very decent price, everywhere else seems to be about 250, some even 270.

https://www.coughlanfuels.com/kiln-dried-logs.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Glebee wrote: »
    Think ill chance a mini pallet of those rocker blaze to try them out.. They seem great. Using timber and briquettes in a double sized stove at the moment. Burning wet timber is just a complete waste of time. Better off to store it up for a few years and get really benefit out of it then. Anyone able to recommend a good hoover unit for removing ashes? had a few different ones over the years and they were all crap..

Was going to get some of those rocket blazers to give them a try out. Was in Topline earlier and picked up two of these Thornton Eco blaze packs just to try. I presume these along the same lines as the Rocket Blaze? Bit of a price difference, Thorntons Ecoblaze 10 for 2, Rocket blaze 20 euro for 2(sample pack offer).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If you are in Cork then these guys have 1.2m3 of ash or oak for 230 which is a very decent price, everywhere else seems to be about 250, some even 270.

The oak is very good and 7% moisture

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

How does €232 delivered for a 1m crate of Birch sound?

Also this wood will be kept outdoors under a lean too, so while not rained on, may absorb moisture, does this defeat the purpose of buying kiln dried?

Thanks for humoring this newbie!

How does €232 delivered for a 1m crate of Birch sound?

Not the best as Monahans do 1.2m3 of birch for 250 so 20% more wood for just 18 quid extra. Read back up the thread though, birch burns pretty fast compared to oak/ash. Its always worth spending the little extra on oak or ash imo.
    Also this wood will be kept outdoors under a lean too, so while not rained on, may absorb moisture, does this defeat the purpose of buying kiln dried?

Thanks for humoring this newbie!

yeah they will absorb some moisture in our damp climate and the logs close to the ground can get wet if there is rain bouncing up and splashing against them. The trick to counter that is to have a decent sized inddor log store and dry them out further by having them indoors for 2-3 weeks before burning them. See this post for more info
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115178851&postcount=606
    Its not a problem if you have them indoors for a bit before burning, it would be if you took them from outside that night to burn them.

Muahahaha wrote: »

They don't come as far out as me :mad:

tinner777 wrote: »
    They don't come as far out as me :mad:

Did you ring them ?
    I’m not on their route either but for a big order they will make an exception

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Did you ring them ?
    I’m not on their route either but for a big order they will make an exception

How big an order?

bailey99 wrote: »
    How big an order?
    I got the 1.2m of oak and a few bags of sticks, they were very nice to deal with on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

I got the 1.2m of oak and a few bags of sticks, they were very nice to deal with on the phone

That's hardly a big order. I thought you ordered a few crates hence why they delivered to you.

• Advertisement

Ballyvourney?? Similar distance for you?

Advertisement