Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

€230
    1.2 Cubic Metre Crate of Kiln Dried Ash Firewood Logs. H 49" x B 34" x W 46"

I would go with this
    john_doe. wrote: »
    Was wondering are these any good and which is the best value. All kiln dried and in Cork.

€199
    Hand Stacked Ash Hardwood. Comes In A Crate. 450kg. Crate dimensions: 1.2M (H) x 1.15M (W) x 0.85M (D)

€199
    Premium Oak Log 25cm Crate 1m (430KG)
    Pallet Dimensions, 110 x 80 x 100cm. Pallet size 0.97 m. Volume of Firewood 0.80m

€199
    Kiln Dried Beech Logs 430kg.Pallet Dimensions, 110 x 80 x 100cm. Pallet size 0.97M. Volume of Firewood 0.80M

€220
    1.2 Cubic Metre Crate of Kiln Dried Birch Firewood Logs. H 49" x B 34" x W 46"

€230
    1.2 Cubic Metre Crate of Kiln Dried Ash Firewood Logs. H 49" x B 34" x W 46"

€230
    1.2 Cubic Metre Crate of Kiln Dried Oak Firewood Logs. H 49" x B 34" x W 46"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

This is where I got the crate of oak in cork for €230 inc delivery

https://www.coughlanfuels.com/kiln-dried-logs.html

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

Finally got the moisture meter (and subsequently a 9v battery to go with it) and sure enough, any decent sized logs are reading upwards of 23-24%, and as previous poster mentioned, you can probably add 5% to that for the log centre. Smaller logs are less than 20%.

A good middle ground I’ve found so far is to get a decent fire going with the supertherm, and then throw a decent sized log or 2 on. Even with little to no air from the top or bottom, the logs catch fairly handy and burn goodo.

The supertherm is savage stuff, if I throw a decent amount on the heat out of the stove is fantastic. Certainly allayed any fears I had on insert stoves not being able to throw out decent heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

How long is a cubic metre of hardwood lasting anyone that's buying it and how many bags of coal would ye burn with it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

How long is a cubic metre of hardwood lasting anyone that's buying it and how many bags of coal would ye burn with it

I have the stove going all day and night. Lasts about 7 weeks. No coal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Anyone know of any deals on offer north sligo/south Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Monahans ship countrywide free

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Surefirewood in Fermanagh will also deliver to you. I bought from Monahans and am very happy with the quality of wood (oak).

As for offers not really, they all seem to be within 10 or 20 euro of each other for a crate of hardwood. The more buik you buy the cheaper it is per cubic metre so if you have the storage space and are confident of the quality it makes sense to buy as much as you can in one go.

Check out fuel merchants in your local area, they may be slightly cheaper than those delivering nationwide. But remember quality is important, there no point ending up with a big load of poor burning wood and then being stuck with it for the next few months. That way lies smokey fires with little heat and a lot of frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I just bought some pressed oak "logs" in the co-op (bought the wrong ones ) ,and surprisingly I'm impressed , they chucked out loads of heat , had a really nice flame and were cheap as chips, 5 packs for 20 euro ,( 5x10kg )
    They do swell up a bit but I was putting in half logs sideways into the stove so no problem ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

No comparison between the Thorntons Ecoblaze Exta Wood briquettes versus the Bord Na Mona Firewood Eco Logs. Thorntons so much better for burn time and heat production. Not sure on cost as I got the Bord Na Mona ones for a gift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Actually ,
    Can your wood stove burn too hot ?
    The wall above the wood stove is very hot ..
    I had the air turned down , but it's been lit since about 1 this afternoon ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Markcheese wrote: »
    Actually ,

were the chimney and stove cleaned recently ?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

Markcheese wrote: »
    Actually ,

Head over to the home & garden plumbing forum. There is a stoves question and answer thread and about 3 pages back ( around 379) this is discussed. You may or may not have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭razorronan

Got these 3 1.5m x 1m bags full of hardwood from O'Keefes in Lismore Co. Waterford today for €450.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

Smthg wrong with that pic? All greyed out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭jamesd

bailey99 wrote: »
    Smthg wrong with that pic? All greyed out?

Nope its all good for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

razorronan wrote: »
    Got these 3 1.5m x 1m bags full of hardwood from O'Keefes in Lismore Co. Waterford today for €450.

Most of them aren’t even split!!

Seriously, if you’re burning timber in any fire, stove or open, it should definitely be split. Timber that is not split will take years to dry properly, wet timber is bad bad bad. You are wasting heat by boiling off the water in the timber and throwing money away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Monahans are recommended yeah? I'm in Dublin, thinking of ordering 2 of the 80x80 bags of oak. The crates are out of stock online.

Also, we have room to store the wood in a detached garage/shed. Is there a good log store so they can be stored off the ground? Is it ok to store it indoors if it's already kiln dried?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

Can vouch for Monahans have gotten 2 loads from them and they were good quality, price and delivery. I tried someone new last week and the delivery arrived today it's been a disaster. Ordered a large crate of oak and got two small stacked of ash. Herself signed for it so by the time I saw it, it was too late. Now they're arguing that its the same volume of timber. Its simply not as theres two pallets, even stacked it short on height vs advertised and both aren't uniformly full so have lost out there too!! Anyone know what the stacked to loose ratio is 1.6? seems to be the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Wheety wrote: »
    Monahans are recommended yeah? I'm in Dublin, thinking of ordering 2 of the 80x80 bags of oak. The crates are out of stock online.

Also, we have room to store the wood in a detached garage/shed. Is there a good log store so they can be stored off the ground? Is it ok to store it indoors if it's already kiln dried?

It should be stored indoors if kiln dried

• Advertisement

tnegun wrote: »
    Can vouch for Monahans have gotten 2 loads from them and they were good quality, price and delivery. I tried someone new last week and the delivery arrived today it's been a disaster. Ordered a large crate of oak and got two small stacked of ash. Herself signed for it so by the time I saw it, it was too late. Now they're arguing that its the same volume of timber. Its simply not as theres two pallets, even stacked it short on height vs advertised and both aren't uniformly full so have lost out there too!! Anyone know what the stacked to loose ratio is 1.6? seems to be the average.

Theres a comparison guide here for loose v stacked
    https://surefirewood.ie/pages/comparison-guide

Can you let us know what company sent that out to you. pretty shoddy service to send what wasnt ordered and then for it to be less than the volume ordered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Most of them aren’t even split!!

Seriously, if you’re burning timber in any fire, stove or open, it should definitely be split. Timber that is not split will take years to dry properly, wet timber is bad bad bad. You are wasting heat by boiling off the water in the timber and throwing money away.

Once logs are cut into short lengths, it will lose moisture quickly, through the end grain, there is no need to split small diameter logs.

What type of timber is it, it looks like Birch or Alder

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭flipflophead22

Anyone know of any deals in co.clare?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Theres a comparison guide here for loose v stacked
    https://surefirewood.ie/pages/comparison-guide

Can you let us know what company sent that out to you. pretty shoddy service to send what wasnt ordered and then for it to be less than the volume ordered too.
    I don't want to to give them the google hits it was buy firewood direct dot ie, they were recommended by a friend and had good reviews for the UK operation.

I bought the large crate of oak for €295. Its advertised as 1.6x.1.18x0.88 so 1.66m3. What was delivered was 2x 0.65x 1.10x 0.80 crates of ash so 1.14m3 (1.4m3 incl the pallets). The pallets also aren't filled uniformly to .80 I'd say 50% is the rest is about .76 due to the shapes of the logs. If it was a single large create I'd accept the pallet and uneven level at the top but x2 and the wrong wood is too much.

I called them and first they said the weight was the same and pointed out it was the volume I was interested in. They didn't like this and wanted to convert to loose volume?? Probably as I'd said bags we available locally for €100. Anyway they persisted and said I'd gotten more than I paid for but would offer a €6 refund!!! Now they won't refund until they inspect it and collect next week sometime.

What do ye think should I stick to my guns and get them to take it away? The loose volume of what I got it 3.5-4 8x8x8 bags so not terrible value I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Oak would weigh more than ash / cu3, so don't take the, you got the same weight argument from them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Once logs are cut into short lengths, it will lose moisture quickly, through the end grain, there is no need to split small diameter logs.

What type of timber is it, it looks like Birch or Alder

Some of the logs in the pic are way too big to be left not split.
    Looks like a mix of beech and maybe some alder.

tnegun wrote: »
    I don't want to to give them the google hits it was buy firewood direct dot ie, they were recommended by a friend and had good reviews for the UK operation.

I bought the large crate of oak for €295. Its advertised as 1.6x.1.18x0.88 so 1.66m3. What was delivered was 2x 0.65x 1.10x 0.80 crates of ash so 1.14m3 (1.4m3 incl the pallets). The pallets also aren't filled uniformly to .80 I'd say 50% is the rest is about .76 due to the shapes of the logs. If it was a single large create I'd accept the pallet and uneven level at the top but x2 and the wrong wood is too much.

I called them and first they said the weight was the same and pointed out it was the volume I was interested in. They didn't like this and wanted to convert to loose volume?? Probably as I'd said bags we available locally for €100. Anyway they persisted and said I'd gotten more than I paid for but would offer a €6 refund!!! Now they won't refund until they inspect it and collect next week sometime.

What do ye think should I stick to my guns and get them to take it away? The loose volume of what I got it 3.5-4 8x8x8 bags so not terrible value I think?

So what you paid for was 1.66m3 of oak but what you actually received was 1.14m3 of ash and even then the crates were not full to the top. You've been short changed by about 30% there. Feck that I would be asking them to make up the short fall and failing that sending it back. Whatever about the oak to ash switcheroo not supplying the quantity of logs that you paid for is outright shady practice.

I had a look at their website and it talks of a "Money Back Guaranty" on orders. The fact they cant spell guarantee correctly on their site would immediately have had me thinking the worst.

Yeah its shady alright, looking around even short changed the price is about average for kiln dried hardwood. I'll push them again tomorrow and see will they offer an acceptable refund. I just saw red when he said €6 and were doing me a deal as it should be costing me more!

Yeah Id stand your ground on the volumetric calculation and dont listen to any waffle out of them about weight. If the quality of the wood is satisfactory then your best bet might be to get them to send out another 0.4m3 of logs to make up the shortfall. Because in theory as it was signed for that was the opportunity to send it back. Bear in mind companies may still charge you a delivery fee of 40 or 50 euro if it has to go back after the event so as long as the quality is decent you might be better off just ensuring you get what you've paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭razorronan

razorronan wrote: »

Not sure exactly what type of wood they are, but all Hardwood. The vast majority of logs are 10-12cm in Diameter so not too big that they needed splitting. Used my moisture meeting and getting a reading of between 18-20% (They were out in the snow for most of the day before I could load up in the shed so might be slightly higher. Will measure again in a weeks time).

Advertisement