Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Anyone buy a crate of those 40L bags from Kosy KIng

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭franglan

vicwatson wrote: »
    When did you call them last?

Today, are promised a delivery next few weeks but brexit/covid/general shortage in europe is the problem. Seems to be a common issue with sellers currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Anyone know of a good supplier in the Dundalk area? I’ll be moving house next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

I needed to order a few crates of wood, I like to stock up when I buy. Any place I contacted it was kerbside deliveries. They wouldn't bring the pallets/crates round the back at all. It would take me a good few hours to do it by hand. Government restrictions apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It took me about 1.5 hours to empty a 2m3 crate and stack everything in the outdoor log store and the indoor one. It looks like a big job at first but its not the worst when you get a bit of rhythm going (and providing its not raining obviously). Mind you it also depends how far you've to walk from kerb to your log store, for me its only about 5 metres in through the back garden gate. Wear old clothes as little bits of wood will fall off the logs.

What is your access like? They should have a hand truck to get the crate off the tail lift of the truck and so long as the access is wide enough and there isnt rough ground like gravel then it shouldnt be a problem. Not sure why they're giving Covid excuses, its not like you're going to be hugging the delivery driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

bailey99 wrote: »
    I needed to order a few crates of wood, I like to stock up when I buy. Any place I contacted it was kerbside deliveries. They wouldn't bring the pallets/crates round the back at all. It would take me a good few hours to do it by hand. Government restrictions apparently.

Kerb side delivery is standard to stop people making silly requests but in general if the driver can easily get it around the back they will
    Took me 30 minutes to unload and stack 1m crate and I’m in a regular semi d it’s not that big of a job at all

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Anyone know of good quality hardwood suppliers in cavan/meath area, TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭good one

Dundalk Area

Burnwise.ie
    or pick up from EK Fuels on Armagh Rd (R177) AKA Lisdoo Rd.

Kiln Dried Hardwood

2m3 380euro
    1.3m3 240euro
    1m3 200euro

Free delivery nationwide

good one wrote: »
    Dundalk Area

Burnwise.ie

Kiln Dried Hardwood

2m3 380euro
    1.3m3 240euro
    1m3 200euro

Free delivery nationwide

Thank you for the info. The previous owners of the house left enough for a few fires and so I’ll have to figure out how much I’ll need.

Thank you for the info. The previous owners of the house left enough for a few fires and so I’ll have to figure out how much I’ll need.

How many fires a week do you intend burning? If only 2 or maybe 3 fires a week then 0.5m3 should get you through to the beginning of April. If 4 nights+ then a 1.2m3 crate would be better and bigger than that if you're burning 7 nights a week.

It might be an idea to get your chimney swept too if you've just moved in to a new house. You just dont know how long the previous owners have left it so getting it done now will give you some peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,651 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

good one wrote: »
    Dundalk Area

Burnwise.ie

Kiln Dried Hardwood

2m3 380euro
    1.3m3 240euro
    1m3 200euro

Free delivery nationwide
    I wonder what sort of hardwood they offer?

Photos of 2m^3 crate suggest beech, no mention on the site though.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

Sadly I’m nearly finished my wood. Do I buy another crate or just get a couple of bags. Need wood for another month I suppose.

Anywhere around Cork doing deals!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Coughlans fuel in Carrigaline, got ten 15kg bags of kiln dried Birch for 75 euro during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Did Monahans say if/when the crates will be back in stock? The tonne bags are about 0.5m3 of logs which are loosely stacked so not the same value as crates that are hand stacked

Was over yesterday and they had no sacks of kiln dried left, ended up buying a few air dried.

He said that they haven't had any delivery in... Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭franglan

Any other alternatives for hardwood kiln dried big pallets from peeps who have stock - in stock for anyone buying from monagans?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Yes, get another 1 m3 crate. We plan to use until end of March.
    gudede wrote: »
    Sadly I’m nearly finished my wood. Do I buy another crate or just get a couple of bags. Need wood for another month I suppose.

Anywhere around Cork doing deals!?

How many fires a week do you intend burning? If only 2 or maybe 3 fires a week then 0.5m3 should get you through to the beginning of April. If 4 nights+ then a 1.2m3 crate would be better and bigger than that if you're burning 7 nights a week.

It might be an idea to get your chimney swept too if you've just moved in to a new house. You just dont know how long the previous owners have left it so getting it done now will give you some peace of mind.

Thank you for your reply.

To be honest, I have no idea how many fires we will light. We are moving from an apartment and so wouldn’t be fire people at the moment. There is also gas central heating in the house.

Good idea about getting the chimneys cleaned. The previous owners were meticulous about cleaning and maintaining the house and gardens, and I’d expect them to have regularly cleaned them, but no harm doing it again.

I think they the previous owners were not burning kiln dried logs as they were stored outdoors. While it was a roofed area, a lot of rain gets into it. The shed would easily store a fair bit of wood and is dry. I’d prefer to fill it with wood than any other junk I’d end up gathering over the years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Anyone in here get the kiln dried oak from Monahans recently.. just finished up my previous wood which i couldnt remember where i ordered so thats why i went with Monahans.
    Finding this oak really hard to burn in our stove. Its stored in our garage so out of the weather, checked a load of it with a moisture meter and 20% and under. I seem to be constantly at the stove adjusting and messing with it to get it to burn. Previous woods have been no bother. Maybe my meter is crap and its not as dry as it states?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

Have you burned oak before? You don't really want it raging I find if I mix larger and smaller pieces my stove can go an hour or so without attention longer if I let it ember down and rekindle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Oak definitely burns better when it’s split a bit smaller than you would for other timber.

tnegun wrote: »
    Have you burned oak before? You don't really want it raging I find if I mix larger and smaller pieces my stove can go an hour or so without attention longer if I let it ember down and rekindle.

No dont think ive used oak before. Cant even get the flame raging. The pieces just initially burn then just flame dies down leaving a charred piece, then i gotta start messing with it to keep it going.

Ill keep at it just never had issues before.

Thank you for your reply.

To be honest, I have no idea how many fires we will light. We are moving from an apartment and so wouldn’t be fire people at the moment. There is also gas central heating in the house.

Maybe just get a small order then as we're only 5 or 6 weeks away from the end of cold nights and you also have the gas central heating anyway. I usually just burn fires at the weekends and maybe one during the week if its really cold. But a lot depends on how warm/insulated your house is to begin with, I upgraded windows and doors last year so now I dont need any heat until it goes below about 7 or 8 degrees outside.
    Maybe my meter is crap and its not as dry as it states?

It could be, I dont think the cheap meters from Aldi, Lidl, Amazon, etc are going to be super accurate. That said even if they arent fully accurate they should still deliver a reading that is near enough. My own one from Aldi just stopped taking readings altogether so brought it back for a refund as it was within the 3 year warranty.

Still strange that your oak isnt burning well though, is it smoking a lot? Also is it in huge blocks, they can be harder and slower to burn, youre better to chop them up smaller with an axe.

Still strange that your oak isnt burning well though, is it smoking a lot? Also is it in huge blocks, they can be harder and slower to burn, youre better to chop them up smaller with an axe.

No not smokey at all. Cheers for the suggestion, ill work with the smaller pieces for the moment and split the bigger ones. As said above prob only a few more weeks of use. A summer in the garage is bound to help!

Yeah if there are bigger lumps chopping them will help. What also helps a lot with moisture is to have an indoor log store near the fire. When they are sitting there for 2 or 3 weeks before burning the moisture content will drop compared to them being outside in our damp climate. Humidity in Irish winters can be up past 80% so theres a lot of moisture in the air.

Most of the logs Im burning are indoors for 3 weeks before burning and are getting down to about 10-12% moisture. At that level they are very dry and burn really well. Its noticeable how much better they burn than if they were just brought straight from outdoors and put on the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

No dont think ive used oak before. Cant even get the flame raging. The pieces just initially burn then just flame dies down leaving a charred piece, then i gotta start messing with it to keep it going.

Ill keep at it just never had issues before.

It definitely takes a little getting used to, you've to think about building and maintaining the fire a little more but its easy really. I don't think I'd burn anything else now I love how it reduces to embers that stay hot for a couple of hours keeping the room warm then allowing the fire be reignited quickly.

I’m using oak now and it’s totally different to any other wood I’ve burned before but once you get used to it then it’s the best fire going

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I used Ash and Oak. I prefer Ash over oak.
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    I’m using oak now and it’s totally different to any other wood I’ve burned before but once you get used to it then it’s the best fire going

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Oak is the best imo. Won’t rage burn like birch but gives a long steady burn. You should try mix birch and oak I’ve heard it’s a good mix if you want a flame and heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭ablelocks

co-op superstores have this online @ €189 (€50 delivery though)

Crate of Kiln Dried Beech Logs 430kg
    Kiln-dried beech logs are perfect and ready to use in most stoves and fireplaces. Product is made from FSC certified wood from well managed forests in EU. The moisture content of Beech Log is less than 20% and log length less than 25cm. Pallet Dimensions, 110 x 80 x 100cm. Pallet size 0.97M. Volume of Firewood 0.80M

edit : Limerick store has 2 of these for €360 and an 850kg crate for €349 :-

Advertisement