Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Vittu

Its Oak, Ireland gets a lot of hardwood timber from eastern europe nowadays. Probably a different type of Oak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

The beech from tjomahony has jumped up from €200 to €260. Ouch. I'll probably still get it as they've a branch over the way from here and I'm a sucker for a lit stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Check out premium pellets, don't know anything about them but they have the cheapest prices I can find. If they are up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Probably still better value than many. I got a pallet of birch elsewhere for 180 when TJOM were out of stock last winter and you might as well burn rolled up newspapers😡

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That seems like a great find so I emailed them and they confirmed that the 399 euro for a crate of 1.96m3 of oak on their website is the current price and that it includes free nationwide delivery.

Im just waiting for them to confirm that they are definitely kiln dried and below 20% moisture, if so I think I'll order there as that price is unlikely to be beaten when other merchants are now charging 500-550 for the same thing.

Their website mentions that they are based at Drogheda Port where the firewood is unloaded from abroad so they might be some sort of wholesaler who are supplying other fuel merchants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭razorronan

Please let us know if/when you get the delivery and the moisture levels.

Best of luck with the order!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Says on their website “Moisture Content is less than 18%”

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭bog master

Eco Logs have a different style RUF briquette in stock now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Ordered Ash logs from premium pellets on 12th July

Ash Firewood Logs in 1.16m3 crates @ €235.00

Delivered today (14th July) via JMC truck (he had mechanical pallet truck to bring logs around lane to my garage)

Logs look good and dry and delivery and service excellent.

I ordered coal too off another company (Coal Direct Ireland) same day and the pallet of coal was on same truck

Sorted for winter now

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Just ordered the same. The pallet truck sealed the deal! Last year's order dumped in my driveway, had to empty crate then move it, then refill it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Living in a terraced house, have been buying smaller wheelie bin sized bags of logs, lad brings a cart a d wheels them through the house and into shed for me, extremely handy but I guess paying a bit over the odds for this....

Looking at something like premium pellets or tj o mahoney... If I have 1 cubic metre of logs delivered to my driveway, I'm looking at carrying them through the house in something like an IKEA bag!! I don't know, maybe 10 logs at a time? Should I even be considering something like that? Can't actually work out how many trips I might be looking at with a large pallet delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

i stacked 2.m crate of kiln dried firewood for an elderly person and i just stacked it on my arm about a dozen bits at a time and got it done in a couple of hours, by the time you stack them into a crate and empty it again you would likely bang out two trips

The internet isn’t for everyone

I built an oversized pallet in the shed with raised sides. Takes about 1.2m3.

Pallet of wood arrives and I transfer it in to the shed then cut down the delivery pallet into kindling. Works well and for the two loads a year I get I'd say it's a grand total of 3 hours work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭jmreire

Or even two wheeled trolley / sack car? Great for narrow doors and hallways. If they are split into blocks, its possible to bring a fairly big load in on each trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

if you cant borrow a hand truck then an Ikea bag would be fine. There will be brash in the bag when youre finished which can be thrown on a fire. Wear good gloves and you'll have a crate of a cubic meter moved through the house in a little over an hour. The crate itself can be chopped up too, theres a fair bit in it for burning, just be careful of the nails

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

Our next door neighbour gets a pallet of logs delivered. Puts them into his (empty) green bin, wheels it through and empties it in the back garden. Back and forth until its done.

Fella I know does the same thing, I reckon all the handling makes it take longer than just walking through with a big pile in your arms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Yep, I do the same. Just stack them up your arm. Alternate the arms.

I try and get a tonne bag delivered on Friday and go at it on sat morning. Stacked into the back shed. A bit of exercise and your arms will feel like Popeye's afterwards !

Warms you twice that way.

Ecolog's new Pinay Kay log is 70% more expensive than the Rockets. Around the same price differential for their standard wood briquette also. Pinay Kays are good, I had planned getting another pallet of Rockets this year, but they are no longer worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Hi all, the cousin got a few poplars to take away free. A lad next door told him that that once it's dry it'll burn much the same as spruce, but has to be well cured, he has offered me a few lengths to take but I've never heard of anyone using it but it's free and as he says it'll be the best firewood I ever bought, if it burns as well as spruce ill chance it, I asked already on use forestry forum but its dead over there, anyone got any experience with it???

Tjomahony is up to €280 from €260. To think I got the same pallet for €190 two years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭migrant

Exactly, I've been using that one for the past two years. very pleased with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Premium Pellets in Drogheda look to have sold out of those €399 2m crates ,,they have an option up now for €520 for Ash ,some jump in price .

Finglas Fuels €445 for the Oak and Ash mix seem the best deal left from what l can see at the moment .

Im going to get one of them .

Post edited by Juwwi on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Bit the bullet and ordered the large ash pallet from Premium pellets earlier @520, Think same size in oak last winter was 370, lots of places looking for 600 for the large oak...hope they dont get much higher or ill be splitting and seasoning it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Seeing adds locally for one ton bags. How much timber would one of these take? Seen ash for €120.

• Advertisement

It’s not the best value for money, the wood is tipped in normally with a bucket and not stacked tightly like it would be in a pallet, I got a couple of bags years ago when I didn’t know any better

Advertisement