Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

If you were asking me then they are reliable and the wood is quality.

In terms of price I was getting it for €200-220 the past few years, but the €339 represents the going rate at the moment. If you beat it you won't beat it by much.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Pistachio

@OmegaGene I tried for a full refund but that was only going to happen if I loaded up the crate again, that was not an option. I got half refund and will hopefully be able to use half of the load but very bad form and won't be ordering from that supplier again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

I would have loaded it up, told him to come and get it for a full refund. Even if you can burn half you still have to dispose of the other half.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kil

I bought some olive firewood for a 'green' retailer in Galway last year and had a similar experience. I was so disappointed with it - sizes where everything from a pencil size to a football. Impossible to split by hand, impossible to stack, dusty. Really slow burning with a low flame and low heat output. Never again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Ive had the opposite from the same retailer. Been buying olive wood for the last 3 years. I find it produces a longer burn time and greater heat output than other wood such as oak, ash, birch etc. Yes they are all difference sizes but Ive never had to split. Olive is so dense i would find it extremely difficult to split. Could be down to the stove as im burning in a stovax riva 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Seen it mentioned a few posts back, that elder is not a good fire wood, I burn it from time to time and it burns hotter and slower than most timbers, probably as hot as whitethorn, but it needs to be seasoned for at least 3 years untill the bark falls off it, I'd usually throw it a big lump of it with other timber if I wanted the stove to stay in all night, it put a fire out if you tried to burn it fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

I have bought olive wood from Green Fuels in Galway and found it to be great. I have burned it in a Charnwood Island IIIB which is a large 16kw backboiler stove.

The olive wood burned as good as coal, gave great heat, and lasted a long time. I times the burn time of one log, 25cm x 20cm x 20cm (approx) and it lasted for 4 hours. With this olive wood, I found that you do need to give it plenty of air in the stove.

I would suggest you get the briquette cut olive wood. These are smaller sizes and logs that are split to a smaller size than the normal (which can be big and I found unsplittable)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gus75

I am finding wet logs in Aldi "burn & glow Irish firewood" bags as of December. Before they seemed as good as Lidl's or Stafford's air dried. Now some logs come so damp that they can put off a well lit stove. Lidl's are same price and so far not bad.

isnt that a very expensive way to buy firewood ?

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I bought logs on www.buyfirewooddirect.ie - which has an address in Stillorgan Road, Blackrock (but seems to be an Irish outlet of a British company as I rang up wondering when delivery was).

The logs are good, and the price was better than most others. I've now got two large empty pallets in the garden which I'll have to cut up as the delivery driver told me he just delivers rather then returns them. I can't use the pallets in the Stovax wood-burning stove I have so it seems a bit of a waste.

Anyway, there's a competitively price alternative supplier of kiln-dried wood for the Dublin area.

Advertise the pallets on done deal or adverts for free collection and they will be gone today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Why can't you burn the pallets in the stove is it made of some special material that disintegrates when you burn pallets.

Stovax just include the standard warnings about pollution if you burn timber with paint or preservatives. Ideally don't heat the house with old garden fence panels soaked in preservative but the odd pallet isn't going to much harm. Blue pallets are treated but if you can find the letters HT on the pallet that means its been heat treated, no chemicals used and is safe to burn. The nails can always be a pain and get stuck in the riddler.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

I've a stovax and burn pallets all the time. Some have good heavy wood and burn well and then mix in logs, others go back on a lorry. Good priced on that site

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If you've nothing else they often make good chop wood for kindling.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Looking for some ready to burn logs, Kildare area, what's the best option at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,457 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Anyone buy of this crowd before?

www.buyfirewooddirect

Impossible to get them on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I got them on the phone yesterday. Took about 6 attempts but they answered. However, they do have an annoying feature when on hold. It disconnects after about 30 seconds. I haven’t bought from them yet though so this is not an endorsement. It was a query about delivery that I had.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Ordered last night from Buy Firewood Direct for the first time and it arrived today. Unfortunately the courier dropped the crate off the van (tipped over) when trying to take it down 2 planks on a pallet trolly. It was about 40 metres from the shed. So I had to hand load it into a tonne bag and drag it to the shed before stacking it. I wouldn’t mind but he could have pulled around the back of the house within 6 metres of the shed.

Ash was well stacked in the crate and had very little bark. It was also good sizes too. There were very few small pieces. Very dry too. There is a discount for referrals too.

Post edited by Fighting Tao on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

I bought from them before and got the wrong wood ash v oak and the wrong quantity once I measured the pallets. They tried to tell me what I'd gotten was more expensive and that it was weight not volume I should use as a guide.

Just a follow up on this.

I ended up buying a crate of Ash. It arrived in 3 days.

The quality of the wood is superb, great heat of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

For anyone who burns heat logs, be careful if buying from Premium Pellets. They advertise Premium Blazers but deliver an unlabeled inferior product.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Derpados23

Hi,

I recently got a new stove and I am thinking about getting a 1m3 crate of hardwood. Would anyone know how many logs are in the crate. I don't want to order to much or too little. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

the crates are usually delivered with the logs split and kiln dried and rammed with wood, much better value than the builders bags

to give a gauge on the number is very tricky

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Derpados23

Hi, thanks for that. I've got tonne bags and they ranged drastically from say 150 logs to 230 logs. Some of the wood has been wet also. So I want to go for Kiln this time.

With a bag you are paying for air because the logs are not tightly packed, once you get kiln dried in a crate you won’t regret it

• Advertisement

A few of us used this company and were very happy with the service

Advertisement