Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shower isolator

• 21-09-2016 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone help me with the following. I have a ensuite shower which gets its hot water when the gas central heating is turned on. There is no isolator installed in the ceiling. Can someone tell me if this is standard.

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ccull123 wrote:
    Can anyone help me with the following. I have a ensuite shower which gets its hot water when the gas central heating is turned on. There is no isolator installed in the ceiling. Can someone tell me if this is standard.

It sounds like you have a power shower. There must be an isolation switch or pull cord for an electric shower though these are supposed to be left on. They are there for the shower repair guy so he can isolate the power. These pull cords are not designed to be turned on and off every day.
    You have a cooker switch so you can clean the cooker. Again the switch shouldn't be turned on and off every time you use the cooker.
    A power shower usually has a spur taken from the immersion. This spur may have a switch but again it's not there to be turned on and off every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Thanks so much sleeper. So the fact that there is no isolator is not of concern?

ccull123 wrote:
    Thanks so much sleeper. So the fact that there is no isolator is not of concern?

Not for a power shower. There is most likely a spur in the hot press for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

From your description you do NOT have a power shower. If it is heated by gas then you either have a combi boiler or a traditional CH zoned system, Either way, if the water is not heated by electricity then you dont need an isolator switch.

And if someone tells you a power shower is spurred of an immersion then they are talking BS.

How would you get power to a power shower if not a spur from the immersion?
    We always take a 3amp spur from the immersion. Its usually the safest was to do it. Even if you have a stand alone pump its usually safest taking spur from the immersion.

A power shower or stand alone pump should have rcd protection. Usually the immersion has rcd protection this is why we always take a spur from the immersion. If it doesn't have rcd protection we still take a spur from it anyway but would also add an rcd in the hot press. Safety first is a must.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    How would you get power to a power shower if not a spur from the immersion?
    We always take a 3amp spur from the immersion. Its usually the safest was to do it. Even if you have a stand alone pump its usually safest taking spur from the immersion.

3 amps for a power shower !. Are you serious?. Just checked my fuse board and my immersion is 20 amp and (I think) my power shower is 32 amp,

youtheman wrote:
    3 amps for a power shower !. Are you serious?. Just checked my fuse board and my immersion is 20 amp and (I think) my power shower is 32 amp,

You are confusing power showers and electric showers. An electric shower heats up the water and should have a 40amp rcbo. Your fuse needs to be upgraded from 32 to 40amp with rcd protection. A power shower runs off a 3amp fuse. There is no element in a power shower. Its basically a pump in a box. You heat up the water first.
    Op doesn't have an electric shower but most likely has a power shower. Spur for power shower comes from the immersion

Advertisement