Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuse board upgrade questions

Options
  • 21-09-2016 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

Hi. My house currently has the old style bottle fuse board. It is located in a cupboard in the kitchen along with the meter and main switch. This is all located on the rear wall of the house. If I was to have this upgraded to an mcb type board, what would be involved? Would everything have to be moved to the front of the house or can it stay in the cupboard it is currently in?

If it was to be moved is there a particular location at the front for it to be ideally placed? At the minute there is a gas meter at the front which goes directly into a ladder under the stairs where the boiler is fitted. I'm not sure if there is sufficient space available for an electric meter to also go here. Everything else to the front of the house then is a living room. If it was a case of having to go down the road of moving everything to the front, would I be better off looking into a complete rewire of the house. I would like to have this done at some stage because everything could do with being modernised. At the minute the house has the red and black pvc cabling with bare minimum sockets etc some of which are in awkward places and also on skirting boards.

I know asking about pricing is like asking the length of a piece of string but can anyone provide some ball park figures for:

1. Fuse board upgrade with everything staying as is if that is possible.
    2. Fuse board upgrade with everything moving to the front of the house
    3. A complete rewire. House is a run of the mill 3 bed house with living room, kitchen, dining room down stairs.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

markc1184 wrote: »
    f I was to have this upgraded to an mcb type board

Highly recommended.
    It is located in a cupboard in the kitchen along with the meter and main switch. This is all located on the rear wall of the house. If I was to have this upgraded to an mcb type board, what would be involved?

It would be best to get the ESB meter moved to an outside meter cabinet at the front of the house.
    Would everything have to be moved to the front of the house or can it stay in the cupboard it is currently in?

It is not permitted to have a distribution board (fuse board) in a location such as this.
    If it was to be moved is there a particular location at the front for it to be ideally placed?

No, but some places will make more sense than others. There are regulations that will limit where it can be installed.
    For example it could not be installed in a bathroom (for obvious reasons).

The distribution board does not have to be installed at the front of the house.
    would I be better off looking into a complete rewire of the house.

Impossible to say definitively without seeing it. A survey would need to be carried out. Although it sounds very likely from your description that a rewire would be required.
    sockets etc some of which are in awkward places and also on skirting boards.

It is not permitted to have sockets on skirting boards.
    I know asking about pricing is like asking the length of a piece of string

That is exactly what you are asking :D
    ball park figures for:

1. Fuse board upgrade with everything staying as is if that is possible.

€600 +
    2. Fuse board upgrade with everything moving to the front of the house

God only knows, lets say €2000 +
    3. A complete rewire. House is a run of the mill 3 bed house with living room, kitchen, dining room down stairs.

:confused::confused::confused::confused: So many unanswered questions so lets say €6000 + depending on many, many factors.

Advertisement