Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Teaching. I hate my job

Options
  • 21-09-2016 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,
    I am a post-primary teacher. I am teaching 5 years and I hate it. I get decent work from students and I achieve good grades but I find it draining. I get nervous before class and my stomach is constantly in knots. I feel oddly bullied in schools. I've yet to get a permanent job so i spend every Summer looking for work. I meet new staff and students every year. I'm fed up of doing the newbie donkey work in each school. I want to change professions so badly but I don't know what I could do. I teach art (and any other subject that I'm thrown) so I feel very pigeonholed. I would love a 9 to 5 job. I would love anything that will allow me to clock off. I've yet to feel that I have achieved in my career. Any good class can be crushed by the smallest of incidents. Can anyone suggest what profession I could look into? My personal life is suffering and I'll be very honest I think I am a bit depressed. I dream of being seriously ill so in don't have to face work. I normally thrive on being busy but sitting at my computer til 12 most nights is tough when you don't enjoy the work. I welcome suggestions.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

Tincan123 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am a post-primary teacher. I am teaching 5 years and I hate it. I get decent work from students and I achieve good grades but I find it draining. I get nervous before class and my stomach is constantly in knots. I feel oddly bullied in schools. I've yet to get a permanent job so i spend every Summer looking for work. I meet new staff and students every year. I'm fed up of doing the newbie donkey work in each school. I want to change professions so badly but I don't know what I could do. I teach art (and any other subject that I'm thrown) so I feel very pigeonholed. I would love a 9 to 5 job. I would love anything that will allow me to clock off. I've yet to feel that I have achieved in my career. Any good class can be crushed by the smallest of incidents. Can anyone suggest what profession I could look into? My personal life is suffering and I'll be very honest I think I am a bit depressed. I dream of being seriously ill so in don't have to face work. I normally thrive on being busy but sitting at my computer til 12 most nights is tough when you don't enjoy the work. I welcome suggestions.

Quit you need to show courage once you do it will work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Tincan123

audi12 wrote: »
    Quit you need to show courage once you do it will work out.

I've to stay in my current mat leave while I decide. If I leave now it's career suicide and I can't for the life of me figure out what else I could do. I'd leave if I had some idea where to go. Thanks for the encouragement though. It's very scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Hi,

Is teaching not a 9-5 job?

I've to stay in my current mat leave while I decide. If I leave now it's career suicide and I can't for the life of me figure out what else I could do. I'd leave if I had some idea where to go. Thanks for the encouragement though. It's very scary

If you hate it whats the point you wont stay at it anyway I left a grand a week job no mortgage or children cause I hated ever single day of it still looking for work but no one regret.

you would have got great holidays time off if that still doesnt do it not much hope in that job for you

Thought it was 9 to 3 myself with half the year off.

• Advertisement

No. I set up at 8am and when I come home I've to correct and plan my lessons. I'm still typing my notes at the minute. All teachers have to plan our lessons. I know people quote the 3 month holidays but for me those 3 months are applying for jobs and going to interviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

And half the day off.

No, but sadly this is how it is seen. I was so shocked by the paperwork and take home wrk. I attended a development course about trying to have a work life balance as a teacher. It's changed a lot from when we were taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Been there, done that, happier than ever. If you want to leave teaching completely then who cares if you leave now. I left in the middle of covering a maternity leave. I didn't work for a few years for a variety of reasons and when I went back to work earlier this year (different job entirely) no one cared that I'd left teaching or that I'd been out of work for awhile. I've done a few interviews recently and I've been praised in every single one of them for my courage in leaving teaching. Just leave. It's not worth it. No one can tell you what kind of job to do though. What do you love? I've found something I'm passionate about and can't wait to get started. You need to find something like that if you can.

'you would have got great holidays time off if that still doesnt do it not much hope in that job for you[/quote]'
    Controlling teenagers is hard. I was told to **** off last week and that was the nicest one. I have an arsonist in my class who I cannot turn my back on as he loves to strike out. I feel bullied beyond belief. I cry once a week from the abuse that i receive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

No. I set up at 8am and when I come home I've to correct and plan my lessons. I'm still typing my notes at the minute. All teachers have to plan our lessons. I know people quote the 3 month holidays but for me those 3 months are applying for jobs and going to interviews

How do you think you would adapt to a 9-5 job with constant demands, a manager monitering you, short probationary periods, similar job security in first year, 4 weeks holidays and no qualifications beyond your teaching degree and certainly you won't have the benefit of a union as strong as teachers unions?

Been there, done that, happier than ever. If you want to leave teaching completely then who cares if you leave now. I left in the middle of covering a maternity leave. I didn't work for a few years for a variety of reasons and when I went back to work earlier this year (different job entirely) no one cared that I'd left teaching or that I'd been out of work for awhile. I've done a few interviews recently and I've been praised in every single one of them for my courage in leaving teaching. Just leave. It's not worth it. No one can tell you what kind of job to do though. What do you love? I've found something I'm passionate about and can't wait to get started. You need to find something like that if you can.

Agreed you wont get rewarded for doing the same thing day in day out all you will get is more of the same if you leave and work to find something else you will simple as that. You are afraid that is whats stopping you and thats not good enough its a cop out.

davo10 wrote: »
    How do you think you would adapt to a 9-5 job with constant demands, a manager monitering you, short probationary periods, similar job security in first year, 4 weeks holidays and no qualifications beyond your teaching degree and certainly you won't have the benefit of a union as strong as teachers unions?

the teachers union shafted my crowd. I'm Not in the union. We have. The management is the principals and vice principals. We are micomanaged and the hierarchy in place means that i do crazy additonal work for the senior staff members.We have probationary periods. We have targets. We have inspections and keep planning files for everything we do.I have just writen 2000 words on a 40min lesson. I have had 9 to 5 work before and I thrived because i could achieve my targets. I could feel thay I had done a good job. I don't feel that in teaching. Something always happens. I could have a brill week but there's always something.

davo10 wrote: »
    And half the day off.

Half a day off? I'm still working. I wish I had just said that I did any other job. I was looking for help. I wasn't looking for people to get on me about the hours. It's 9.40 and I'm still working. I started at 8am. I'm still going.

Agreed you wont get rewarded for doing the same thing day in day out all you will get is more of the same if you leave and work to find something else you will simple as that. You are afraid that is whats stopping you and thats not good enough its a cop out.

I am afraid but I don't know where to go. It is a cop out but leaving a career for the unknown is intimidating

I am afraid but I don't know where to go. It is a cop out but leaving a career for the unknown is intimidating

A career you hate you should relived to get out cant see what your scared about

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

"All teachers have to plan our lessons" are you serious? I've done 3lesson plans for the three times I got inspected for my dip and never one since. Your problem is you seem to be sucking the fun out of what is one of the best and most fun jobs in the world. Lighten up, screw the plans and enjoy your teaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

What are you doing work wise tonight.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    "All teachers have to plan our lessons" are you serious? I've done 3lesson plans for the three times I got inspected for my dip and never one since. Your problem is you seem to be sucking the fun out of what is one of the best and most fun jobs in the world. Lighten up, screw the plans and enjoy your teaching.

she hates it

What about your subject department folders and subject inspections ? I wish I liked the job. I'm too shy for it. It makes me feel ill and it doesn't come natural that's why I plan. I plan what to say and what methods to use. I've tried for 5 years to enjoy this career

• Advertisement

What about your subject department folders and subject inspections ? I wish I liked the job. I'm too shy for it. It makes me feel ill and it doesn't come natural that's why I plan. I plan what to say and what methods to use. I've tried for 5 years to enjoy this career

I dont see why you are on here asking what to do when you seem to know already you want strangers reassurance is my guess that you should take action.

What are you doing work wise tonight.

I'm making my power points, sketching samples and preparing my handouts. I do still write lesson plans to keep me in check. Ive 2 more to go and then bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

Where do you teach?! In my school we do monthly thematic planning, fortnightly plans, cuntas míosúil, monthly goals and termly long term plans across the curriculum. That's before any assessment or daily correcting takes place.
    OP leave! I have friends who have left teaching and none regret it! No job is worth being miserable for.
    Would you consider SNA work? I have often thought I would like to be an SNA. It feels like I could still work with kids without having to fell a rainforest with my paperwork!
    Best of luck with your decision.

Windorah wrote: »
    Where do you teach?! In my school we do monthly thematic planning, fortnightly plans, cuntas míosúil, monthly goals and termly long term plans across the curriculum. That's before any assessment or daily correcting takes place.
    OP leave! I have friends who have left teaching and none regret it! No job is worth being miserable for.
    Would you consider SNA work? I have often thought I would like to be an SNA. It feels like I could still work with kids without having to fell a rainforest with my paperwork!
    Best of luck with your decision.

I have thought about sna work. That's a great suggestion. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

What about teaching in another country to build up some savings and work with better mannered students? Is it the UAE that is always looking for people?

I dont see why you are on here asking what to do when you seem to know already you want strangers reassurance is my guess that you should take action.

I was hoping to hear from teachers thay may have changed career paths and if so, what did they do. I have tried to seek help. I have voiced my issues and I took the vet difficult step in telling other staff members how the job makes me feel. I was trying to connect with ex teachers. I will delete this as I feel people have thw wrong idea as to why I used a forum for help. Not encouragement but help

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Uboat

Controlling teenagers is hard. I was told to **** off last week and that was the nicest one. I have an arsonist in my class who I cannot turn my back on as he loves to strike out. I feel bullied beyond belief. I cry once a week from the abuse that i receive

You have to leave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Year plan for each subject no lesson plans. Glowing reports from inspectors. Lesson plans are managements way of keeping teachers worried and stressed. No inspector will ever ask for a lesson plan. Totally understand the need to plan ahead if it doesn't come natural, but I it doesn't come natural maybe that's your answer.

• Administrators Posts: 14,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

What about applying for jobs in the Dept of Education that don't involve teaching? Or at least classroom teaching? Behavioural support? Resource teaching? SNA as already mentioned. With teaching experience in a classroom you'd be snapped up as an SNA. What about Adult education? What about lecturing in college? Furthering your education if you need more qualifications. Secondary teaching is tough, and it's not a job I would even consider myself! But there are other similar, but completely different areas you could work in with more job satisfaction and less abuse!

Is your principal/vice-principal approachable? Is there any more experienced teacher in the staff room you could confide in? If you could unburden yourself a little and feel like someone in there is supporting you and keeping an eye on you it might make things a bit easier. How long left on the maternity leave? I'd try speak to someone either a colleague or management and see if there is anything that can be done to help you.

If not, leave.
    They'll manage.

A girl covering leave went out on maternity leave 4 months after starting in a school I know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you're not on a CID its often 9-11 on, 3-4 on, paid for three hours that day, maybe only one day that week. Half the year unemployed.

Advertisement