Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

timer on immersion

Options
  • 21-09-2016 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi, moving into new house shortly - has pumped showers off cylinder but no timer on the immersion so want to get one fitted asap

How big/small a job is it and how much can I expect to be charged for it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You'd want a 7 day digital one anyway with different settings.
    Don't go for a crappy timer. Maybe pick one out yourself in a wholesalers and take note if the name .
    Tell the sparks that's the one you want.

It's not a big job unless your existing work is poor and needs correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Here you go. Need PM/PW as a delivery option though. Great piece of kit with a plethora of programming options - 5/7day plus 4 x on/off per 24hr period along with boost(1hr / 2hr) functions.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BJIB97K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd guess another €30-€40 for a sparks to fit - as Stoner says, it's very straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Agree with dozey & stoner. I prefer the ones with a boost button.
    On our timer it comes on for an hour at 5am so we have a full tank to star the day. After that, anyone having a shower hits half hour or hour boost after their shower depending on how much water they used themselves.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Agree with dozey & stoner. I prefer the ones with a boost button.
    On our timer it comes on for an hour at 5am so we have a full tank to star the day. After that, anyone having a shower hits half hour or hour boost after their shower depending on how much water they used themselves.

Ah Sleeper, FFS !........ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

If the immersion is the only heat source, consider also getting a night rate meter put in (if not already fitted) - could save money for sure if you heat the water at night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

dodzy wrote:
    Ah Sleeper, FFS !........

Autistic & dyslexic. You are lucky you can understand anything I write. :)

OP forgot to say : make sure that timer is designed for an immersion. You need one that can handle a couple of kW. Timers for heating systems can't handle this load AFAIK

Autistic & dyslexic. You are lucky you can understand anything I write. :)
    :D
    OP forgot to say : make sure that timer is designed for an immersion. You need one that can handle a couple of kW. Timers for heating systems can't handle this load AFAIK
    The one I linked to will fit the bill. 16A Resistive (3.68kW).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sangamo do good immersion timers and you can buy direct....

http://sangamo.co.uk/powersaver/

If you seldom change the Sink/Bath switch on the manual switch, considering buying a 'single element' timer (less complicated to operate). You then put the electronic timer between the mains feed and the manual switch, then just leave the manual switch at 'On' and let the timer control when it's on and off. That way, the less technical members of the family can quickly flip the manual switch to 'Off' when you're going away for a few days rather than have to disable the electronic timer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

You could wire it yourself.

A great idea though. I had a normal switch on mine and the amount of times the missus or kids fecked off and left it on!!

Advertisement