Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy, advice on Swords estates

Options
  • 21-09-2016 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi there, we are considering buying in Swords, we are not from the area originally so we would like to know more about the estates of Applewood, Castleview, Glenellen, Holywell & Swords Manor. Are these good areas, have they potential to be rough & would you recommend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

stickman22 wrote: »
    Hi there, we are considering buying in Swords, we are not from the area originally so we would like to know more about the estates of Applewood, Castleview, Glenellen, Holywell & Swords Manor. Are these good areas, have they potential to be rough & would you recommend

Hi , I live in Swords Manor and like most estates in Swords its 90% decent , hardworking people , but there is always that 10% . I have never personally experienced any Anti-Social behaviour and the road I live on would be a mix of owner occupier families in their 30s-40s with young kids , older families with grown up kids and 20% rented properties. My kids are in St Cronans which is a great school and they can play outside safely . You do get some kids hanging around the shops in the evenings , but ive never experienced any trouble from them . The one thing that does annoy me is the scrambler bikes on the waste ground . Its dangerous and they have no regard for other users of the area , having said that its rare enough and the people on these bikes arent from the Swords Manor area. Theres a great community spirit on my road and a lot of the neighbours tend to be friends .Some of the roads even have family street parties throughout the year.

Hope this helps a little. Feel free to ask any questions either public or PM

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭appfry

I lived in Swords for a few years.
    I will put your list in order of where I would desire to live if I moved back to the area.

Glenellen
    Applewood
    Swords Manor
    Castleview
    Holywell (I would never live here actually)

Of course there are good and bad things about every area, so thats just my opinion on where I would move to should i move back to Swords.

Two big areas that arent on your list are River Valley, which I dont like and Boroimhe, which I wouldnt mind living in at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

appfry wrote: »
    I lived in Swords for a few years.
    I will put your list in order of where I would desire to live if I moved back to the area.

Glenellen
    Applewood
    Swords Manor
    Castleview
    Holywell (I would never live here actually)

Of course there are good and bad things about every area, so thats just my opinion on where I would move to should i move back to Swords.

Two big areas that arent on your list are River Valley, which I dont like and Boroimhe, which I wouldnt mind living in at all.

Close enough to what I would say except i'd swap Applewood and Swords Manor . Id also put River Valley alongside Swords Manor as being quite similar. I would also reccomend Boroimhe ahead of Swords Manor especialy if you get the bus !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

re boroimhe,if you swords ex into town,a few coaches start in the estate so you will always get on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Glenellen would be top for me, then Swords Manor and Boroimhe equally, as the bus services are comparable for the 41x and Swords Express (the terminus for both are Swords Express)

Applewood would be low down on my list, especially around the main street.

I also think Castleview is fine so would have that next but ahead of Applewood, now that I've figured out where it is :o, and think Holywell is a bit isolated from the rest of Swords, being on the other side of Airside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Stheno wrote: »
    Glenellen would be top for me, then Swords Manor and Boroimhe equally, as the bus services are comparable for the 41x and Swords Express (the terminus for both are Swords Express)

Applewood would be low down on my list, especially around the main street.

I also think Castleview is fine so would have that next but ahead of Applewood, now that I've figured out where it is :o, and think Holywell is a bit isolated from the rest of Swords, being on the other side of Airside.

I'd agree with this.

Personally, I wouldn't have applewood (around main street) on my list at all, though applewood is a large sprawling area, so other parts aren't so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

You have omitted Bunbury Gate/Brides Glen which is basically the same as Glen Ellan. Lovely friendly estate and really close to 2 very good primary schools.
    Mostly families so plenty of young kids playing around. some really nice greens also in the estates similar to Glen Ellan. These 2 estates are basically one and straight across from Castleview

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Swords is so big now, there are lots of estates and people will have differing opinions based on which they live in. I've lived Rivervalley for over 30 years and it's very much a family orientated estate with good schools, a community centre and sports facilities. Other estates are similar, and like anywhere else there can be the odd spot of trouble but nothing serious or unusual.
    Where you buy very much depends on your circumstances - whether you plan to have a family, for instance, or whether you intend to move on eventually. If you take a drive around both in daytime and at night you'll get a good feel for the different areas. The only parts of Swords I personally wouldn't fancy living in are Holywell and Applewood.
    I absolutely love living in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Swords is so big now, there are lots of estates and people will have differing opinions based on which they live in. I've lived Rivervalley for over 30 years and it's very much a family orientated estate with good schools, a community centre and sports facilities. Other estates are similar, and like anywhere else there can be the odd spot of trouble but nothing serious or unusual.
    Where you buy very much depends on your circumstances - whether you plan to have a family, for instance, or whether you intend to move on eventually. If you take a drive around both in daytime and at night you'll get a good feel for the different areas. The only parts of Swords I personally wouldn't fancy living in are Holywell and Applewood.
    I absolutely love living in Swords.

I agree Dizzy. I think that the shopping centre really lets us down. It's desperate looking and portrays the whole estate in a more negative light

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I agree Dizzy. I think that the shopping centre really lets us down. It's desperate looking and portrays the whole estate in a more negative light

It's such a pity Aldi didn't go it - the plans submitted at the time included a facelift for the whole strip of shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

It's such a pity Aldi didn't go it - the plans submitted at the time included a facelift for the whole strip of shops.

I think it's back on. Also heard that Aidan (robbing shop) has bought the hairdressers to make a 'spar' type shop to cater for the Loreto girls who currently buy their lunch in Centra

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dreamcatcher74

Ridgewood is also a good estate.Pavilions,Airside,primary and secondary schools are all within walking distance

Advertisement