Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadbait fish

Options
  • 21-09-2016 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi lads

Sorry for all the recent threads about deadbaiting just really getting into deadbaiting is all! So luckily I won a competition online and got around 70e of deadbait they vary between mackerel ( some injecteted with liquids) herring, pollen, roach, trout, sprats, perch , and even sand eel, now my question is how would I rig sand eels sprats I herd there a very soft bait and herd that either of them can have their day, what rig should I use normally I use 2 semi barb trebles one in the tail and on the torsal fin would that work?

I might have some other questions as I've only ever deadbaited with Roach and recently macherel.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bazza85g

I mostly use two treble hooks, size 6, on a good long wire trace for all deadbaits. Squeeze down two barbs on each treble to aid unhooking and put the remaining barb in the bait. Always one hook in the root of the tail for a good strong hold and the other in the root of a fin or the back. I use a small bit of bait elastic to lash the bait to the trace. You could use smaller trebles, size 8, for smaller baits. Or go up to size 4 for a whole mackerel.
    Sandeels are a sea fishing bait. Doubt they'd be a great choice for pike. Sprats are best used sink and draw. One hook through the roof of the mouth and another in the side. Work them very very slowly, more like lure fishing than deadbaiting.
    Normally when Im deadbaiting, I use two contrasting baits, e.g. a big oily mackerel on one rod and a fresh roach on the other. Or vary the presentation . . . popped-up, hard on the bottom, mid water, under a float, injected with oil etc, etc.

Make sure you use a good heavy lead (3oz) on a running leger rig. When the pike takes the bait, the line runs directly to the reel and the lead is not budged from the lakebed. This is important so that the pike doesn't feel resistance.

There are two broad theories when it comes to deadbaiting.
    1. Chuck it out and let it sit there and the pike will find it. Or the pike have already spotted it and are leaving it until "dinner time". i.e. It's just a waiting game.
    2. Keep ringing the changes, fresh bait, new method, cast to a new spot, move, twitch the bait back every few minutes. In effect, you're trying to offer the pike a meal they cannot not grab. Like their favourite piece of cake!

In general, sheer boredom and cold winter weather means I like to keep busy on the bank and generally go for theory 2.

Hope this helps. :-)

Advertisement