Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Is Us (NBC) [**SPOILERS**]

• 21-09-2016 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

New NBC dramedy that kicked off last night. Quite an enjoyable first episode that really comes together in the final act and shows the series' true potential.

This song's been stuck in my head on repeat since watching the first episode earlier...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

As you mentioned in the chat thread, feels a bit like Parenthood. I found a few of the characters in Parenthood really annoying though, so hopefully this doesn't go the same way :)

I think anybody that liked Dan Fogleman's film Crazy, Stupid Love would like this too (he's the series creator).

Also, Major Dad, yippee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, a decent dramedy - albeit more "dram(a)" than "edy" - with a pretty damn
    strong twist

But let's face it.. Gerald McRaney was pretty much the best thing in that opening episode.

EDIT: Nice call on the Sufjan Stevens ASLB.. that album is absolutely excellent but dreary as hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Basq wrote: »
    Yep, a decent dramedy - albeit more "dram(a)" than "edy" - with a pretty damn
    strong twist

But let's face it.. Gerald McRaney was pretty much the best thing in that opening episode.

EDIT: Nice call on the Sufjan Stevens ASLB.. that album is absolutely excellent but dreary as hell!

I'm sure the "edy" will become stronger as the series progresses.

McRaney was fantastic - actually once he started his speech to Peter Petrelli (they actually managed to make him likeable in this) that's when the episode went up a couple of notches for me and where I really started seeing the potential for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

maudgonner wrote: »
    As you mentioned in the chat thread, feels a bit like Parenthood. I found a few of the characters in Parenthood really annoying though, so hopefully this doesn't go the same way :)

For me the annoying characters in Parenthood were
    Sarah & her various other halves (except Ray Barone)
    The lawyer one & her fella- so wholesome until...
    Adam & Monica Potter
    The music lad with the silly name that escapes me right now & his mrs & mother in law
    All the kids
    The mother and father

however I did stick with it for all 6 series and miss it a bit if I'm honest, will see if this show fills the void.....ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I usually watch at least 3 episodes before I decide to make up my mind if I continue with it because after the Pilot things usually change a little bit.

But this pilot and the fore mentioned spoiler have me hooked already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

For me the annoying characters in Parenthood were
    Sarah & her various other halves (except Ray Barone)
    The lawyer one & her fella- so wholesome until...
    Adam & Monica Potter
    The music lad with the silly name that escapes me right now & his mrs & mother in law
    All the kids
    The mother and father

So, the only character you liked in Parenthood was one who only appeared on a recurring basis throughout the final 3 of 6 seasons? :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I feel thick but... What was the twist at the end where his adoptive father is not Milo Ventimiglia but his best friend?

Did the parents get divorced and he married the gold standard wife?

I feel thick but... What was the twist at the end where his adoptive father is not Milo Ventimiglia but his best friend?

Did the parents get divorced and he married the gold standard wife?

No, Milo Ventimiglia was indeed the adoptive father, but obviously at some point after what we've seen in the past when the kids are 8, Mandy Moore leaves Milo/Milo dies and she gets with the best mate... Presumably Mandy has been with the best mate for long enough that Sterling K. Brown's kids would think of him as Grandad, so it's probably a safe guess that Milo dies at some point along the way... We're gonna have to keep watching to find out exactly what happened I suppose.

Enjoyed the second episode overall, and I'm interested to see more of the rivalry/relationship between Sterling K. Brown and Justin Hartley's (the brothers) characters. There's definitely enough intrigue between the present and the glimpses back into the past and the upbringing of the family to keep me watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TheCockpitGuy

I LOVE THIS SHOW! So heartwarming, and then comes the twist.

Although it cant be easy for Chrissy Metz with all the fat shaming and fat classes.

God I love this. So glad too to be watching it week to week online to avoid the spoilers on the twist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Saw the pilot and thought while watching it it was decent drama with very likeable characters but didn't see where it could go that would be interesting ... then those last minutes took me completely by surprise. ;)

If it gets decent life span I'll be willing to check it whenever it arrives on Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I hope they drop the gimmick of having a twist at the end of every episode. I think that works once or twice, but if you're expecting it then it's a bit pointless.

Liked the second ep though. It's a very watchable series - nice for when you come home from work and want something that's not too demanding to watch.

This is back in case anyone missed it. Loved episode three. It's borderline emotionally manipulative but really bittersweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bit too saccharine and twee for me unfortunately!

This is back in case anyone missed it. Loved episode three. It's borderline emotionally manipulative but really bittersweet.

Mandy Moore is playing a blinder - acting wise the only other thing I've seen her in is Scrubs, but would never have pegged her for a big network drama series, so she's been a delightful surprise.

Starts on Channel 4 the 6th of December 2016 at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Started last night on Channel 4 - enjoyed it ! Interesting Characters. Be interesting to see how it pans out . Anyone else watch it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

I do :D It only gets better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I have seen the first 4 episodes - so good!

Oh great - I shall invest my time then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Yes I'm going yo watch this on ch4 too. It looks good. I enjoyed first episode

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

I'm up to date with american air dates and have to say that I'm really enjoying the series - seems one of the better dramas over the past few years. Really impressed with Mandy Moore too, I only remember her in entourage and didn't think much of her then but I think she's a great actress in this show.

I'm finding that after a solid start it's just gone to far into cheesy social commentary territory. I still watch it but I find myself rolling my eyes a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I watched the first episode this morning and enjoyed it.
    Here's hoping it's gonna be good as I watch very little TV and would like to follow something entertaining.

Mandy Moore is playing a blinder - acting wise the only other thing I've seen her in is Scrubs, but would never have pegged her for a big network drama series, so she's been a delightful surprise.

She is great in A Walk to Remember (Nicholas Sparks weepie)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Watch 2004's Saved!, probably the best film Moore has been in.

As for This Is Us, quite a good show so far. I don't watch "The Big 4 (+CW)" American network shows, besides sitcoms and the superhero crap, but this fills the void left by Parenthood, for family drama.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Bargain Blake

Starts on RTE2 tonight

• Advertisement

I'm finding that after a solid start it's just gone to far into cheesy social commentary territory. I still watch it but I find myself rolling my eyes a bit
    Ha so funny -  I binged the last few episodes of it as friend had it on android box so I just went ahead and watched all ... That was so me towards the end ... Lots of FFS :) ... that saying I did enjoy and look forward to S2 !

Advertisement