Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting standards differences

Options
  • 22-09-2016 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭

Humour me a few moments if you's can,
    Do different posters be to held to higher and lower standards of posting in general ,
    Been involved in a few situations where it seems to me it happens with either other posters or mods.
    Minor infractions been issued yet seeing some obvious stuff goes unnoticed .

Just asking generally .

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Not in my opinion

In forums that attract opposing views the history of a poster and how they post given their bias can lead to greater amounts of warning and infractions which then lead to bans as opposed to a onetime poster which is different

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That was quick .

I understand that , im around a longish time so getting infractions while not intended
    can't seem to avoid them despite Best intentions .

For instance from AH -politics over the years you see pretty personal posts to petty stuff where the personal posts get a warning or a few days off where another poster can get month ban for asking a question which for whatever reason it's been deemed offensive,
    And I know we don't always seem mod actions or quite words been had ,but if a poster is say given several bans for say personal abuse in one forum then proceeds to do the same in another forum but gets multiple warning yet no actions taken but if a poster says your a dick to them a harsher action is taken .
    Probably not making sense rarely venture to these parts so not 100% on how to word it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I don't really understand your last post but with regards to different actions on the same issue for different posters, yes, this happens.

If someone with a clean slate loses the run of themselves and calls someone a dìck, they might get a thread warning or a warning. Someone else with history of personal abuse and lots of cards and bans on their account will likely face a harsher action for the same thing. In my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I assume this about the OPs post is about a warning they received from Stheno in one of the Syria threads in Politics Cafe where they were warned not to post in it again.

I'd like to know what was wrong with what he posted and how it warranted such a instruction?

I don't see what warranted such a warning?

I reported the post with the warning but got no response.

As I'm sure you're aware, mods don't respond to reported posts. If they were to it would take hours upon hours to get though them all.

If the OP has an issue with a card he can PM the mods or take it to DRP, it's highly unlikely they'll discuss it with you, again, something I would have assumed you're aware considering your time on the site.

• Advertisement

TBH the DRP process is a complete and utter crock of ****e and not fit for purpose at all, unless the purpose is to allow the mods to get their wagons in a circle and defend each other.

I reported the post because it is not obvious at all what Gatling did wrong with his post. I would expect that a on thread warning would include an actual reason for the warning. At least that's how we did it when I was a mod.

gandalf wrote: »
    TBH the DRP process is a complete and utter crock of ****e and not fit for purpose at all, unless the purpose is to allow the mods to get their wagons in a circle and defend each other.

I reported the post because it is not obvious at all what Gatling did wrong with his post. I would expect that a on thread warning would include an actual reason for the warning. At least that's how we did it when I was a mod.

The last 3 DRPs for AH were overturned or resolved between the mod and poster. The wheels must have fallen off the wagon.

I do agree with your second point, a reason should be given when a poster is thread banned, gets a warning, etc, etc.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's crap like this that really gets me wondering whether I should I really bother putting up with it all

Beasty wrote: »
    It's crap like this that really gets me wondering whether I should I really bother putting up with it all

It's the go to line, the rolleyes smiley is applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

This thread was started before the thread ban and I'm in correspondence with the op about that via pm.

If I think the op was treated unfairly I'll have no problem reversing it, have reversed my own decisions many times and got agreement between the mod and poster in other cases, no problems at all.

Threads involving anything Russian related often cause problems in politics, I'm aware of that. I'll look at it as objectively as I can as I don't really have a horse in this race. The thread was closed temporarily and that was brought up in another feedback thread, so keeping it open is the main priority.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Posts relating to an ongoing dispute discussion have been removed.

Gandalf, if you want to post feedback on dispute resolution please feel free to do so but terms like "crock of ****" and "allow mods to circle wagons" are not really helpful or constructive. It should probably be pointed out that the dispute resolution process is there to allow a mod action to be queried by a user who feels it was in error. It let both parties give their reasons for a Cmod to consider whether it was fair and/or consistent. This procedure was put in place at the request of users for oversight for mod actions based on what was considered unfair modding with no ability to appeal. Its a lot of extra work for mods and cmods and to just dismiss their efforts out of hand is completely unfair imho.

The dispute was settled when I replied to Gandalf's post and the subsequent post this morning .
    So a post that showed exactly what I was talking about gets nuked and removed.

Wasn't expecting that to happen but hey .

Gatling wrote: »
    The dispute was settled when I replied to Gandalf's post and the subsequent post this morning .
    So a post that showed exactly what I was talking about gets nuked and removed.

Wasn't expecting that to happen but hey .

from the posts you were in the process of settling the issue and the cmod was reviewing it for you. it was not settled and it has no place in feedback. If anything it should have only been handled in the Dispute resolution forum.

edit: I stand corrected. This was only a thread ban (as in user asked not to post in a thread again based on posts they have made so far) and these are not covered in the dispute resolution. The fact remains that ti was a public discussion of a matter still under discussion with the cmod involved and should not have been included in a feedback thread as it is not feedback.

My comments are valid. I speak from direct experience of the so called DRP and I stand by them.

As for my comments on the dispute they stand as well. A user was told publicly to feck off posting on the thread without any hint as to why they were to stop. From a proper moderation point of view the mod should have added WHY that user was given that instruction for all the other contributors to the thread. Stop hiding behind processes to mask bad moderating.

My comments are valid. I speak from direct experience of the so called DRP and I stand by them.

I'm not saying your comments are not valid, I am saying that you method of phrasing your comments leaves a lot to be desired and renders them too vague to be taken as anything other than sentiment and not actually useful feedback that can be applied to designing a better solution.
    As for my comments on the dispute they stand as well. A user was told publicly to feck off posting on the thread without any hint as to why they were to stop. From a proper moderation point of view the mod should have added WHY that user was given that instruction for all the other contributors to the thread.

And these were addressed , on thread by the cmod dealing with the issue. I never referenced your comments on the dispute as they were your opinion and you are allowed (even encouraged) to give your opinion.
    Stop hiding behind processes to mask bad moderating.

DRP does not hide or mask moderation, if anything it highlights it. This isn't the good ol' days back when you and I were mods. A mod is not the final word in how a forum runs anymore, there is oversight and an attempt at achieving and maintaining consistency. mod actions can be questioned by users and can be reversed or modified if someone responsible for review agrees that there is cause. Modding is no longer just a laugh, now its a task and its one that requires time and effort and attention to detail. DRP is open and allows transparency in the process. We used to handle disputes in feedback but that was where the "mods circling wagons" phrase was introduced because it regularly devolved into mod v user shouting matches and open ridicule of posters and mocking of poster opinions. You accuse me of hiding behind processes while I could accuse you of viewing the past through rose coloured glasses and conveniently forgetting how things were because you dont like the way things are now. Like it or not, even with the red-tape, the current set up is better at handling a forum the size of boards. the old way worked for a group of online friends but fell apart as soon as you couldnt walk into a boards beer and recognise 50% of the people there anymore. Maybe there are still issues but going on like Father Jack instead of actually trying to help doesn't do anything to improve the situation.

Lolth I was talking about the thread that kicked off this conversation in Politics Cafe and no it has not been updated as to why a user was publicly threatened to stay out of a thread. Now you can come out with all your wonderful Father Ted imagery but in my day if someone was publicly dressed down in a thread for all to see it was explained why in the same post as their warning/punishment.

Explaining it here (which has not been done) is not sufficient as the userbase affected by that particular moderator in that particular forum have not been educated as to why such a warning was issued.

As op I didn't open this as a DRP ,
    The whole idea was to ask if different posters were held to higher standards ,
    Which due to this one thread I believe to be true ,
    One of the issues was posters allowed several personalised posts that had noting to do with the thread now i asked a simple question and instantly got infected yet previous personal and abusive posts by other posters didn't even get that .
    It's a double standard add the fact I get a pm saying I was close to a ban yet I don't recall been abusive or uncivilised .

Exactly and no indication on the public rebuking you got on what behaviour you were being punished for. That is the crux of the issue and it has been ignored.

Exactly and no indication on the public rebuking you got on what behaviour you were being punished for. That is the crux of the issue and it has been ignored.

As long as Gatling himself knows, that's the main thing. It's none of your business to be honest.

it hasnt been ignored. It was being dealt with when you brought it up but there had not been a resolution. There has been now and the mods have been asked to update the thread.

my point was that feedback is not the place to discuss a private message discussion that is still in progress.

At no point was anything to do with Gatling's issue ignored. K-9 posted to explain what was happening less than three hours after your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Other posters got cards on that thread, 1 poster a forum ban and another a thread ban, I'm not seeing bias there at all.

We want Russian political stuff to be discussed without childish digs about Putinbots, American shills and other such nonsense thrown at the other side. We can't stop it completely but repeat offenders will get cards, thread and forum bans.

All I, and the mods can do is look it as objectively as possible. The topic is very contentious and has 2 very invested sides in it so I'm not surprised both tend to see bias in moderation!

As regards the lack of information, that was noted and will be taken account of in future. Thank you for the feedback.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    As long as Gatling himself knows, that's the main thing. It's none of your business to be honest.

FFS he was publicly warned off the thread without any indication to the rest of the posters on that thread as to WHY. I'm glad to hear it's been resolved between Gatling and the mods but my point is how are the other users going to learn what is acceptable and what isn't in the forum if the moderating is like that. Absolutely no transparency at all. If you publicly prescribe a user like that you need to make it clear why? A simple single sentence doesn't add to the workload at all.

If you guys don't see this then it's no wonder boards is on it's last legs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Godge, as you are currently serving a one month ban from the Politics Cafe, the Feedback charter states that you are not permitted to enter into any discussion regarding this forum. I have therefore removed your post and subsequent replies to it.

Advertisement