Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New wheel (s)

Options
  • 22-09-2016 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new front wheel that I can fit a dynamo and Tannus solid tyres to. Any suggestions?
    At the moment I have in mind a Mavic A319 rim housing a DH3N80 dynamo, but I'm not sure yet if the tyre will fit this rim.

Any suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Those tires come in a bunch of different sizes but assuming you have the 32 touring version, yes it will fit. I ran a setup like that (A319 and an older version of that dynamo, and Schwalbe Marathons) for years, it worked fine on 28, 32 and 35 (with or without spikes).

If you are choosing a rim and dynamo from scratch, I definitely got better mileage out of the Alexrims G2000 than the Mavic... but it's hard to tell whether that was because the rim was better, or simply because the wheel was built better.

Finally, if you're spending money and you can do discs, I can tell you this wheel blows any other dynamo wheel I've run on out of the water >> http://www.volagi.com/shop/e7-ignite-sl-dynamo/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Thanks for that. I'm not using discs and don't see myself doing so anytime soon but I'll keep that in mind for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Thanks for that. I'm not using discs and don't see myself doing so anytime soon but I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Get a dyno hub with disc mounts and build up with rim brake rim thereby future proofing wheel if you do go disc.

If you go shimano they are pretty well sealed and get up to 20k km without servicing (the one linked above will do 50k km before servicing but you havery to send back to manufacture I think). Just buy the internal bit of shimano dynamo if you shear cable when the time comes to service.

Bit of grease and €40 or so and you are good to go.

If you go shimano here is a step by step guide to servicing (and avoiding shearing cable)
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3819048/Overhauling%20Shimano%20Dynamo%20Hubs.pdf

In case you make a bo11ix of it it's part 3 you will need.

newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=101119369

Get a disk version and you are pretty future proofed

Oopps - just realized I linked to a way fancier wheel... the best one I've ridden on is actually this one >> http://www.volagi.com/shop/e7-ignite-xl-dynamo/

Can only imagine how nice the $800 one must be :D

ford2600 wrote: »
    Get a dyno hub with disc mounts and build up with rim brake rim thereby future proofing wheel if you do go disc.

If you go shimano they are pretty well sealed and get up to 20k km without servicing (the one linked above will do 50k km before servicing but you havery to send back to manufacture I think). Just buy the internal bit of shimano dynamo if you shear cable when the time comes to service.

Bit of grease and €40 or so and you are good to go.

If you go shimano here is a step by step guide to servicing (and avoiding shearing cable)
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3819048/Overhauling%20Shimano%20Dynamo%20Hubs.pdf

In case you make a bo11ix of it it's part 3 you will need.

newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=101119369

Get a disk version and you are pretty future proofed

I had the older version of these dynamos... it needed a service at about 25k and was still running fine when it got written off at 45k (by a truck)

• Advertisement
Advertisement