Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most vile TV show ever

Options
  • 22-09-2016 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

I don't watch much TV these days. I may watch TV content but often on youtube or netflix.

I did happen to flick over to RTE 1 at 7pm and I watched a half hour show and I've never seen anything so vile in my life.

It was a UK soap opera, I think based in the East end of London.

I was gripped by if from the very start because of its utter utter horridness, and it just got worse as I watched it till the end, mostly in complete disgust.

The whole show takes place is horribly closterfobic inner city run down area of east London. In this community they have a dirty horrible old pub , the 'queen vic', as in Queen Victoria, not that there was anything 'royal looking' about it.

A horribly dilapidated area mostly inhabited with lower working class people.

No shops, cept for a tawdry laundrette. A street what has a 'street market' where they sell erm I guess 'basic food and household' items. A utterly bleak area when you have to listen to the clickity clack of dilapidated old trains going by all day long. The sweetest sound you might hear their is the sound of a dirty old pigeon.

But that isn't even the half of it.

You should have seen the characters in this show.

I have never seen so many ugly horrible people in all my entire life.

They spend every waking minute of their lives arguing with each other non-stop, day after day after day.

They live in housing that doesn't look much different that what you might think a squat might look like. They have sofa's where they have to put 'throws' over them to make it look half respectable. It's like going back to the 1950's when such style might have seemed half-descent.

So I did some investigating into this show and it turns out that this show is one of England's national favourites, if not THE one.

Imagine, coming home for a hard days work, and turning on the TV to watch THAT. Oh my **cking god.

I think this show is a national embarrassment to the UK. Apparently it's produced by the BBC? It's just, well, shocking.

I'm absolutely gob-smacked that this show even exists. It's revolting. It's smelly. It's horrible. It disgusting. I'm just lost for words. What the Americans or other nationalist would think of this show, is well, don't wanna think about it.

Jesus Christ , thank God for American drama series.

Exceuse me, think I'm gonna puke.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Err.....is this a wind up or something? That programme has been on for 31 years. I know that you said that you don't watch much TV but you must have seen a bit of it sometime before.

Think the writers for it share the same handbook with all the other soap writers in Ireland and UK......someone cheats, someone gets beat up, someone dies, someone gets ill (normally cancer), there is a disaster in which more than one dies.

And also - have you come from the future where they have smellovision......"I'm absolutely gob-smacked that this show even exists. It's revolting. It's smelly. It's horrible. It disgusting. I'm just lost for words. What the Americans or other nationalist would think of this show, is well, don't wanna think about it" :D

It's Eastenders btw ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

FanadMan wrote: »
    Err.....is this a wind up or something? That programme has been on for 31 years. I know that you said that you don't watch much TV but you must have seen a bit of it sometime before.

Think the writers for it share the same handbook with all the other soap writers in Ireland and UK......someone cheats, someone gets beat up, someone dies, someone gets ill (normally cancer), there is a disaster in which more than one dies.

And also - have you come from the future where they have smellovision......"I'm absolutely gob-smacked that this show even exists. It's revolting. It's smelly. It's horrible. It disgusting. I'm just lost for words. What the Americans or other nationalist would think of this show, is well, don't wanna think about it" :D

It's Eastenders btw ;)

You could say that about any TV drama ever made. That's no reason to restrict any show to those particular topics.
    And also - have you come from the future where they have smellovision......"

It's about the impression the show leaves on you.

And another thing If I may. I opened a magazine in the doc surgery the other day and there was a double paged spread on Barbar Windsor, where there was a picture of her laying seductively on a sofa with a big cheesy grin holding a glass of champs. The headline was something along the lines of "Why I've had enough of Eastenders" but if it had been "Aliens have finally arrived" I wouldn't have been too surprised.

How anyone can regard people who look, walk and talk like that in an affectionate way is just beyond understanding for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Lol Learn-more. Where are you living? this is a an everyday occurrence in Dublin. Lol, you're funny.. :D

learn_more wrote: »
    You could say that about any TV drama ever made. That's no reason to restrict any show to those particular topics.

It's about the impression the show leaves on you.

And another thing If I may. I opened a magazine in the doc surgery the other day and there was a double paged spread on Barbar Windsor, where there was a picture of her laying seductively on a sofa with a big cheesy grin holding a glass of champs. The headline was something along the lines of "Why I've had enough of Eastenders" but if it had been "Aliens have finally arrived" I wouldn't have been too surprised.

How anyone can regard people who look, walk and talk like that in an affectionate way is just beyond understanding for me.

Don't get me wrong - I HATE THOSE F£$%^&G shows. I don't feel smelly after watching them......I feel dirty. I want to shower with bleach, vinegar and a scrubbing brush.....I want to see flesh afterwards!

They are terrible - the story, the acting, the "actors" and the tabloid mags that seem to dote on them. They are......well......bad is the only polite word I can use right now.

But in saying that, I knew right away from your OP that you meant Eastenders. There was no need for subterfuge - your third sentence spelt it out and no beating around the bush hid the fact that you knew what it was....so why didn't you just say that?

All TV series follow the same process, be they soaps, crime, drama or comedy. For my sins I've watched some soaps - my father is addicted to them so can't avoid them all the time :o

I took a 'If I'd never seen or heard of this TV show ever before until today' approach.

I don't accept that his show, because it's been running for 31 years, or that it's produced by the BBC, or that it's on prime time TV slot , makes it good in any way whatsoever.

My main point is that I think his show is a national embarrassed to the UK. And to think that some might even be proud of it !

I think it's dire beyond my capability to express but I though I'd have a stab at it anyways : )

• Advertisement

learn_more wrote: »
    I took a 'If I'd never seen or heard of this TV show ever before until today' approach.

I don't accept that his show, because it's been running for 31 years, or that it's produced by the BBC, or that it's on prime time TV slot , makes it good in any way whatsoever.

My main point is that I think his show is a national embarrassed to the UK. And to think that some might even be proud of it !

I think it's dire beyond my capability to express but I though I'd have a stab at it anyways : )

Pity we couldn't actually "stab" it........it and others might eventually go away :D

FanadMan wrote: »
    Pity we couldn't actually "stab" it........it and others might eventually go away :D

lol

Tell you what, as the BBC are currently under scrutiny as to how much they pay their top stars, and the way dramas are moving over to box sets and netfilx, and the TV license fee question, I wouldn't be surprised if Eastenders will take a hit eventually. I don't see another 31 years but a coffin.

I overheard an interesting statistic recently and that was about the percentage of people what watch TV , especially soaps. Not surprising 75% of soap viewing is done by people over 55. So it's clear that scheduling is focused on the older generations ! As time moves on that has to have an effect on the BBC's output.

For what it's worth, I actually think Coronation Street aint anywhere near as offensive as EastEnders. At least one might fancy a pint in the Rovers, but the Queen Vic ? UGGH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Most vile TV show is any one with Simon Cowell in it.

Overhyped crap that depends on tabloids to peddle shyte masquerading as musical talent to the detriment of decent talented musicians. All paid for by the parents of the obsessed teenagers spending a fortune on phone ins.

Fcuking despise it with a passion.

^^ It's not a musical talent competition. It's a SINGING competition, specifically. It's not about who can write a good song. It's not about who can play the guitar well, or the piano, or whatever. It's singing, vocal talent, nothing else.

I see lots of 'competitions' on TV. Football, Darts, Snooker, Golf. The Olympics. Baking. It would appear 'competitions' are very popular on TV.

I personally cannot stomach English permiership football on TV what seems like 24/7. But just because I don't like it I wouldn't say it's vile in itself.

Your totally within your rights to dislike xfactor. But I can't see what's so 'vile' about a singing competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Sling yer ook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Sling yer ook

Get outtta ma pub

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OP, there are a lot of shows I don't like, but I just change the channel.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement