Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY iPhone 5c screen replacememt

Options
  • 22-09-2016 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭

My iPhone 5c screen cracked yesterday. I've watched some YouTube videos and the process seems relatively straight forward. The trickiest part looks to be keeping track of all the tiny screws and being gentle with delicate cables.

I've replaced the keyboard and screen on my laptop previously and also the charging port and battery on my tablet with excellent results.
    I'm confident that if I take my time and set aside a couple of hours I can do it.

My main motivation is money. It's around E20 for a screen on ebay compared to almost E100 for a repair.

Is it a good idea to replace it myself? Have any other novices done this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

My iPhone 5c screen cracked yesterday. I've watched some YouTube videos and the process seems relatively straight forward. The trickiest part looks to be keeping track of all the tiny screws and being gentle with delicate cables.

I've replaced the keyboard and screen on my laptop previously and also the charging port and battery on my tablet with excellent results.
    I'm confident that if I take my time and set aside a couple of hours I can do it.

My main motivation is money. It's around E20 for a screen on ebay compared to almost E100 for a repair.

Is it a good idea to replace it myself? Have any other novices done this?

I can't talk for a 5c but I changed the screen on my iPhone 6 the other night and couldn't believe how easy it actually was to be honest.

From a quick look the 5c looks very similar and same procedure.

Just have the right equipment, the correct P5 5 point pentalobe screwdriver, suction cup and small Phillips screwdriver.

And a handy way of keeping track of the screws is to have a blank sheet of paper and place each one down on it and write beside it where it cam from etc. As some are different sizes etc.

The home button and camera are easy remove, just be careful and take your time.

Shouldn't have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPhone_5c

They have numerous guides and you can also order the parts from their European website (if you decide too).

Advertisement