Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid morning snack ideas?

Options
  • 22-09-2016 7:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

I start work at 8am and don't get a break until 1:30 or 2 somedays, by which time I'm absolutely starving. Any ideas for snacks I can have mid morning? Something substantial enough, but not too big?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Nuts are your best bet here I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Crackers and houmous?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Almonds and a boiled egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

Amirani wrote: »
    Nuts are your best bet here I reckon.

Are nuts filling??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Are nuts filling??

Depends how many you eat. A handful will keep you going for a couple of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Bananas.

Dried fruit.

Peperami/kabanos etc.

Babybel cheeses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

What do you have for breakfast? If you work on having a good breakfast, then a piece of fruit should be enough to tide you over until lunchtime

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

A lot depends on what you have for breakfast. If you have a light breakfast maybe consider a small sandwich or wrap (kids size)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Shenshen wrote: »
    Crackers and houmous?

Or carrot sticks & hummus,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Cake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I start work at 8am and don't get a break until 1:30 or 2 somedays, by which time I'm absolutely starving. Any ideas for snacks I can have mid morning? Something substantial enough, but not too big?

Boiled eggs. I used to have two or three in my bag and when hunger came a calling, I'd quickly peel and devour them.

Edit: And another vote for Kabanosy or Pepperoni/Pepperami.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

syklops wrote: »
    Boiled eggs. I used to have two or three in my bag and when hunger came a calling, I'd quickly peel and devour them.

Oh you dirty article :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Crackers or ryvita with nut butter and a couple of apples - that's my go-to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Flapjacks.

chuckles30 wrote: »
    What do you have for breakfast? If you work on having a good breakfast, then a piece of fruit should be enough to tide you over until lunchtime

Not much tbh, sometimes a jambon, sometimes a bowl of porridge. I do struggle to eat well, need to improve on it. Any breakfast ideas??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I usually have brown toast with peanut butter, get to work after 8, then yoghurt at 10 and lunch at 1pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Apple slices dipped in a teaspoon of peanut butter should keep ya going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Not sure what you work at or whether this is an option for you.....but I find it works out great for me. Short version of long story, I was never a breakfast person & still can't eat breakfast first thing in the morning. So I have always eaten my breakfast at coffee break time - my default was cereal. But earlier this year, I started on weight watchers and I discovered Overnight Oats & I would highly recommend it. It is far more filling than cereal & easy to take with you. Even if you don't have a set break, it is easy to eat on the go/at your desk.

Basic recipe - 30g porridge oats, 2-3 dessert spoons of low fat natural yogurt & unsweetened almond milk. Obviously if you're not on a diet, you can add any kind of yogurt and use regular milk.
    Here are some of my own favourite additions:
    - Mashed banana, handful of sultanas/raisins, tsp chia seeds & shake of cinnamon, nutmeg & mixed spice.
    - Grated apple/apple sauce,handful of sultanas/raisins, tsp chia seeds & shake of ground cloves.
    - Strawberries & or blueberries, tablespoon of dessicated coconut, drop of vanilla or lemon essence.
    - Grated carrot, handful of sultanas/raisins, tsp chia seeds & shake of cinnamon, nutmeg & mixed spice.

Add all your ingredients the night before, mix well. Check consistency in the morning and add extra milk if required. Any tupperware/plastic/glass container with a lid is good to go next day...or bowl with clingfilm if you eat before you leave the house.

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Not sure what you work at or whether this is an option for you.....but I find it works out great for me. Short version of long story, I was never a breakfast person & still can't eat breakfast first thing in the morning. So I have always eaten my breakfast at coffee break time - my default was cereal. But earlier this year, I started on weight watchers and I discovered Overnight Oats & I would highly recommend it. It is far more filling than cereal & easy to take with you. Even if you don't have a set break, it is easy to eat on the go/at your desk.

Basic recipe - 30g porridge oats, 2-3 dessert spoons of low fat natural yogurt & unsweetened almond milk. Obviously if you're not on a diet, you can add any kind of yogurt and use regular milk.
    Here are some of my own favourite additions:
    - Mashed banana, handful of sultanas/raisins, tsp chia seeds & shake of cinnamon, nutmeg & mixed spice.
    - Grated apple/apple sauce,handful of sultanas/raisins, tsp chia seeds & shake of ground cloves.
    - Strawberries & or blueberries, tablespoon of dessicated coconut, drop of vanilla or lemon essence.
    - Grated carrot, handful of sultanas/raisins, tsp chia seeds & shake of cinnamon, nutmeg & mixed spice.

Add all your ingredients the night before, mix well. Check consistency in the morning and add extra milk if required. Any tupperware/plastic/glass container with a lid is good to go next day...or bowl with clingfilm if you eat before you leave the house.

Sounds great, thanks for this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

Crackers with Crunchy peanut butter,I use kelkin OMG so hooked very filling very addictive very convenient and if you think you hate peanut butter I urge to to try it chances are you will love it

Advertisement