Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car just been stolen from Duleek area - please keep a look out

• 22-09-2016 8:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Up to 90 - went out to the drive about 20 minutes ago and the car was gone.

It's a black BMW M-Sport 520D Reg 08-D-76201. Black trim with 17' Alloys and xenon lights. No engine size designation on the back.

Stolen from the Duleek area between 11pm and 4am this morning.

Just reported to the guards.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I'd say you can kiss it goodbye at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Hi,

Up to 90 - went out to the drive about 20 minutes ago and the car was gone.

It's a black BMW M-Sport 520D Reg 08-D-76201. Black trim with 17' Alloys and xenon lights. No engine size designation on the back.

Stolen from the Duleek area between 11pm and 4am this morning.

Just reported to the guards.

Thanks.

Is there any community text alert in your area? It might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will keep an eye out. You should call Eflow, they might tell you if it went through any tolls, would give idea of where it was going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Some pictures would help too OP, we are a visual crowd here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:(:(:( Bloody thieving scum! :mad: If you have photos and a Facebook account you could put the word out on this page. . Cars do get recovered often enough.

How did the scum steal it? Did they break in and take your keys?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Were your keys taken first somehow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Many thanks for the helpful replies.

Guards just been out. I always keep my keys next to the bed, have them with me now. They were as puzzled as me as to how they got in the car as its got an immobiliser\factory alarm and isn't one of those new keyless start models that I've seen the reflector trick being done with.

I've put a message out on the local Community Alert Crime txt service.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When and where did you buy it - could it have been a previous owner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Guards just been out. I always keep my keys next to the bed, have them with me now. They were as puzzled as me as to how they got in the car as its got an immobiliser\factory alarm and isn't one of those new keyless start models that I've seen the reflector trick being done with.

There is a vulnerability in the factory alarm AND a shocking flaw in the key cloning system.
    The OBD port can be accessed without triggering the ultrasonic sensors and the key cloning procedure is not as secure as it should be.
    That is - It's possible to access the OBD port and make a new key without setting off the alarm.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/132526-hack-the-diagnostics-connector-steal-yourself-a-bmw-in-3-minutes

This is a separate issue to the the keyless go relay attack.

kbannon wrote: »
    When and where did you buy it - could it have been a previous owner?
    Unlikely - got it six years ago from a main dealer and it had UK plates at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

did they nick your keys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

philstar wrote: »
    did they nick your keys?

Thread not even one page long yet, snd you missed that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That is - It's possible to access the OBD port and make a new key without setting off the alarm.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/132526-hack-the-diagnostics-connector-steal-yourself-a-bmw-in-3-minutes

This is a separate issue to the the keyless go relay attack.
    +1. It's not just BMW that are vulnerable to the OBD hack either, but the "gap" in their ultrasonic sensors makes them less conspicuous to steal. I personally know of an Audi and a VW Golf stolen without the keys. A couple of years back I read a stat reporting that in London not far off half of all cars stolen were stolen without the owners keys.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wonder would it have been loaded on to a breakdown truck? With it not being keyless entry cloning a key to start the car would be difficult would it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Saw a post of Facebook there, another BMW 520d stolen not too far away, 07G12335

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Was your car in for any service work or a valet - ANYWHERE - say in the last 6 months?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Was your car in for any service work or a valet - ANYWHERE - say in the last 6 months?
    First thing the taxi driver said to me on the way to pick up a rental car this morning.

Yes - it was in with a main dealer about a month ago.

It wasn't a garage I'd normally use - won't say the name - but they're a well established main dealer in South Dublin that I never used before (was taking advantage of the BMW summer air-con re-gas offer).

The more and more I think about it, the more obvious it becomes that they'd need to clone the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

First thing the taxi driver said to me on the way to pick up a rental car this morning.

Yes - it was in with a main dealer about a month ago.

It wasn't a garage I'd normally use - won't say the name - but they're a well established main dealer in South Dublin that I never used before (was taking advantage of the BMW summer air-con re-gas offer).

The more and more I think about it, the more obvious it becomes that they'd need to clone the key.

Unfortunately you need just one "bad apple" in the garage, which could very well be a new hire, to set things in motion. Years ago, when I was still in Italy, a friend of mine had his Grande Punto stolen weeks after having it serviced at a well-known FIAT dealer in the zone; When he went to the Carabinieri, the first question they asked him was if he had serviced the car in that specific garage, as they had a spate of thefts linked with it and were investigating.

Not saying it's certain it was somebody in the dealership, but as you say, it's a definite possibility...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Unfortunately you need just one "bad apple" in the garage, which could very well be a new hire, to set things in motion. Years ago, when I was still in Italy, a friend of mine had his Grande Punto stolen weeks after having it serviced at a well-known FIAT dealer in the zone; When he went to the Carabinieri, the first question they asked him was if he had serviced the car in that specific garage, as they had a spate of thefts linked with it and were investigating.

Not saying it's certain it was somebody in the dealership, but as you say, it's a definite possibility...

And that possibility should be mentioned to the Gardai by the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

H3llR4iser wrote: »

But if it was happening in a main dealer they'd have access to lots of much newer and more expensive stuff. Why would they target an eight year old 520d?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

maximum12 wrote: »
    But if it was happening in a main dealer they'd have access to lots of much newer and more expensive stuff. Why would they target an eight year old 520d?
    Parts for eastern euro.
    maybe slightly older models would need more parts.

I really wish I was one of those people who took loads of pictures of their car...I never took one in the six years I had it.

Again, mine was a fairly unique model, had a sunroof, HUD, Xenons and an all black interior trim.

Here's the nearest I can find. I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between this and my own, except mine had the 'sharks fin' aerial at the back:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8058098@N07/8012908491/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

These cars are usually used for a job. May well be parked up some cul de sac and plates will be changed.

Sorry to hear op if ever get another think of placing a tracker on it and an after market alarm as they can so easily be driven off without keys.

These cars are usually used for a job.
    Well, considering mine was a 2.0L diesel, I hope it's a meals-on-wheels job they were planning.

With it not being keyless entry cloning a key to start the car would be difficult would it not?
    Read the posts above yours. It's easy enough and well known among the more clued in scum and easily repeatable for the stupid scum. Sure the dealer might be worth a second look, but it's certainly not required to have dealer access. Indeed when this first broke about this hack for the BMW's, it turned out the third party key cloner was easier to operate and faster than the ones in BMW's own dealer network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Normally they take them for a few reasons:

1. Either in one piece or broken down to parts and put in a container heading for Eastern Europe or Russia where these cars or parts make good money.
    2. Will be parked up somewhere until the heat dies down and will have fake number plates put on it and used later for criminal activity.
    3. False/cloned plates, VIN and registration documents, sold to some unsuspecting buyer in a shopping centre car park.

You could get luck though and it is parked up in a apartment complex somewhere and spotted by a regular patrol or the Gardai recover it at a later stage as part of an ongoing sting operation into organised criminal gangs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Wibbs wrote: »
    Read the posts above yours. It's easy enough and well known among the more clued in scum .
    here, just cos I live in limerick is it!!!!

Advertisement