Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion by its nature is racist...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

chillin117 wrote: »
    Who built the Roman Coliseum's and The Pyramid's ? Paid Labour ? I very much doubt it. I would imagine workers being very ''Disposable''
    No need to "imagine" when archaeology is out there. The pyramids were built by citizens, not slaves. Bones and dentition show they were fairly well nourished for the times they lived in.
    "Many times when I looked at the pyramids, I would ask myself about the workers who built them. Where were they buried? Who were the men and women behind this great enterprise? Because of these graves, we have some clues."

Contrary to earlier conjectures—and some modern guidebooks—the pyramids were not built by slaves or foreigners, says the silver-haired Hawass. "That idea of the slaves came from Herodotus," the Greek historian and explorer, Hawass continues. Herodotus visited Egypt around 450 B.C., about 2,000 years after the pyramids were constructed, and was told that 100,000 men had been forced to toil as slaves on the Great Pyramid of the pharaoh Khufu.

But Hawass's 1990 discovery of this cemetery, along with archaeologist Mark Lehner's nearby excavations of what appears to be the ancient laborers' city, confirms what Egyptologists had come to suspect: Herodotus was misinformed. Ordinary Egyptian citizens built the pyramids, some working as conscripts on a rotating basis, others as full-time employees.
    That whole story about the Egyptians taking the hebrews as slaves and The Exodus is a complete fabrication. There is no historical evidence for it whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

recedite wrote: »
    That whole story about the Egyptians taking the hebrews as slaves and The Exodus is a complete fabrication. There is no historical evidence for it whatsoever.

Quelle surprise...

;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nick Park wrote: »
    There's a very readable book about them by Rene Weis called "The Yellow Cross".

Just finished The Cathars: The Rise and Fall of the Great Heresy and have picked up a copy of Massacre At Montsegur: A History Of The Albigensian Crusade. I'd a look for The Yellow Cross but it didn't seem to be available for Kindle, hence the alternatives.

Judging from the reviews, I think you'd need to read a number of books on the subject to get a properly balanced feel for the history, but the barbaric behaviour of the papacy seems in little doubt. Makes one wonder what Christianity would be like as a religion in Catharism had survived.

Advertisement