Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi 29th Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Waterproof socks! Huzzah.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Weepsie wrote: »
    Waterproof socks! Huzzah.

17.99 sizes 3-11

They're far from perfect, but combined with merino socks, and overshoes they'll do a job. I lost a single sock last year so the other one lays alone in a drawer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Hmmmmm, those bike stands might be the solution I need in work.

Bike-Stand-B.jpg?o=D4ecUoDvbOEXM7YCaRfJrRaRVVgj&V=Hyez&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

Does anyone know if it's essential to fix that type of stand to the wall or could you just 'rest' it against it? They have a real problem in our place about drilling holes in walls or, as it is officially termed, 'affixing anything to the fabric of the building'. From the picture it only looks like a small screw at the top - the stand looks like it should be self-supporting though.

• Advertisement

I asked the same recently as I have one of those stands and I was told it should be drilled. I've toyed with using 3M command strips though as all our pictures are hung with them in the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

They're far from perfect, but combined with merino socks, and overshoes they'll do a job. I lost a single sock last year so the other one lays alone in a drawer

Merino socks,waterproof socks, overshoes and cycling shoes. You must be like Krusty the clown cycling his little bike that he done his loop de loops on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I asked the same recently as I have one of those stands and I was told it should be drilled. I've toyed with using 3M command strips though as all our pictures are hung with them in the apartment.

Actually, we have rolls of adhesive 2" velcro - that might do the trick to keep it steady, which is the purpose of the screw I presume.

Aldi really aren't cheap anymore for their cycling gear. Some of the stuff is the same as you can get online from brand names like Altura,Endura.

Anyone know what the long sleeve base layer is like. Its the last thing i really need for the winter

Aldi really aren't cheap anymore for their cycling gear. Some of the stuff is the same as you can get online from brand names like Altura,Endura.

Anyone know what the long sleeve base layer is like. Its the last thing i really need for the winter

Its okay for short cycles if it's the same one they often sell. Its like a compression top but you feel the moisture on the back i find very quickly. They had merino ones last year that were much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Its okay for short cycles if it's the same one they often sell. Its like a compression top but you feel the moisture on the bike i find very quickly. They had merino ones last year that were much better.

can get dhb merino from wiggle pretty cheap too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the older base layers from a few years back were pretty decent .the more recent ones are a sweat inducing piece of c*^p. get yourself a proper one..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Is the trainer any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Aldi really aren't cheap anymore for their cycling gear

I agree. These lights > https://www.aldi.ie/front-and-rear-led-bike-lights/p/072029062109500 are identical to those sold on Planet X for €5 and they're even less from Ali-express. I bought them last year in ALDI and have to say they're brilliant lights so when I spotted the same lights on AliExpress for less than a fiver I decided to get another few of them as spares. They're the same light so ALDI are creaming it price wise.

I don't need any of their stuff this year thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Does anyone know if it's essential to fix that type of stand to the wall or could you just 'rest' it against it? They have a real problem in our place about drilling holes in walls or, as it is officially termed, 'affixing anything to the fabric of the building'. From the picture it only looks like a small screw at the top - the stand looks like it should be self-supporting though.

Had one of these in the shed for about 2 years. Two bikes on it. Never a problem and not fixed to the wall. The base on it makes it pretty sturdy.

Saving that, I am careful when taking the bikes on and off and wouldn't be swinging out of it. It a pretty good solution if a bit of an eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I agree. These lights > https://www.aldi.ie/front-and-rear-led-bike-lights/p/072029062109500 are identical to those sold on Planet X for €5 and they're even less from Ali-express. I bought them last year in ALDI and have to say they're brilliant lights so when I spotted the same lights on AliExpress for less than a fiver I decided to get another few of them as spares. They're the same light so ALDI are creaming it price wise.

I don't need any of their stuff this year thankfully.

Have you an AliExpress link by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Has anyone any experience with the aldi shoe covers? I need a new pair of waterproof ones. The temperature thing isn't so important as I have thermal ones too.

My LBS have the yellow BBB ones on sale for €30 - would I be better to go with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Bike-Stand-B.jpg?o=D4ecUoDvbOEXM7YCaRfJrRaRVVgj&V=Hyez&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

Does anyone know if it's essential to fix that type of stand to the wall or could you just 'rest' it against it? .

I have one in my hallway for a couple of years, free standing with a bike on the top section, none on the bottom. It leans against the wall and is designed like that.

If you look closely at the picture you will see how the stand leans back about 10 inches from the "feet" meaning that it wants to fall backwards, against the wall.

I'll be getting the long winter bibs. I hope the fitting is OK, as I only have the original ones from two/three? years ago and I believe last years were a bit hit and miss "fitting" wise.

They are savage for proper winter cycling. Better than Galibier/Gore thermals IMO.
    I notice this version has zippers at the bottom instead of foot straps though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

dahat wrote: »
    Have you an AliExpress link by any chance?

Here you go AliExpress

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Any reviews on the 240 lumen light at 19.99? Seems like a decent output for 20 quid?

• Advertisement

Actually how far out from the wall does the base of the stand come? I figured it would take too much of the hallway up in apartment so didn't use it. Sits in the shed of parents unused

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I have one in my hallway for a couple of years,

are the mounts adjustable or fixed like in the pic above?

Anyone looking to by anything from Aldi, i would recommend the flash sale PlanetX are having today.
    The crab gloves are great and i ordered a new pair today along with the base layer and other bits.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/deals

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

Do you know the way there are spoiler tags for hiding the details of a race people might have saved for later playback. We need something here for bargains! My CC isn't going to cope...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Anyone looking to by anything from Aldi, i would recommend the flash sale PlanetX are having today.
    The crab gloves are great and i ordered a new pair today along with the base layer and other bits.

Grrrr.

Just ordered bin tights , overshoes , LS jersey and a pump. Credit card are dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

stecleary wrote: »
    are the mounts adjustable or fixed like in the pic above?

Adjustable.

There are holes about two inches apart all the way up each side to allow you to have the bike/s at any height/angle you like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

I got their lobster gloves last year and found them great - very comfortable and warm all through winter. Just takes a while to work out how to give appropriate finger signals to drivers...

I think these lights were a tenner each last year - worked well for me too.
    https://www.aldi.ie/front-and-rear-led-bike-lights/p/072029062109500

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just takes a while to work out how to give appropriate finger signals to drivers.

PMSL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Just takes a while to work out how to give appropriate finger signals to drivers...

Wait, did that cyclist just give me the claw?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

this is why i'm poor :o

Advertisement