Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi 29th Thursday

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just back from aldi in finglas. all the better winter jackets were gone, and a lot of other stuff too. managed to pick up a decent amount of kit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭alexinkildare

Ton of stuff in Celbridge still. Inc jackets etc

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Sitting on the bike on the turbo now! 😄 Never had one before but seems good. Fair bit of noise out of it when I have the bike in a tougher gear. I hope that's normal?!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Blackgrape

How is the fit on the performance bib tights?

Last years were unwearable

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The whole country will be decked out in the new kit tomorrow, expect the hills to be busy tomorrow with e retune taking their gear for a spin.
    Picked up some long sleeve tops and a jacket myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i picked up arm warmers gloves and waterproof socks

i was looking at the premium jacket but i dislike using black during the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭AlreadyHome

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i picked up arm warmers gloves and waterproof socks

i was looking at the premium jacket but i dislike using black during the winter

Funny that, I'm the same. Something a bit grim about black in miserable conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭secman

Picked up:
    1. Winter jacket ,red and black .
    2. bib leggings
    3.winter gloves
    4. Set of lights..14.99 ones
    5. Set of flashing armbands

€80.00

Have 3 sets of winter kits now... to cover midweek, Saturday and Sunday spins.
    On the look out for a second pair of shoes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i bought the large legwarmers - didn't see any XL ones - and they're a little bit tight around the garter. perhaps they'll loosen slightly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Got the red COB light.
    It's bright, and has lots of mounting positions, including a saddle rail bracket.
    But it doesn't have a constantly-on feature, which is not ideal for group riding.
    EDIT: Apparently it does stay on, apparently I need to read the manual, or hold buttons down longer.

The €4 red light's clasp does not look like it is up to much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

Got the red COB light.
    It's bright, and has lots of mounting positions, including a saddle rail bracket.
    But it doesn't have a constantly-on feature, which is not ideal for group riding.

As in, stays on without flashing? It does

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Got the red COB light.

The €4 red light's clasp does not look like it is up to much.

Might try to pick up the twin pack of lights at lunch to see what they're about.

It does have a constant on. Switch it on and if its flashing hold the on button until it goes off and comes on again (ie don't let go) When it comes back on again it'll be on constant. Pressing once increases the intensity (brighter) There are three brightness levels while on constant mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Sitting on the bike on the turbo now! 😄 Never had one before but seems good. Fair bit of noise out of it when I have the bike in a tougher gear. I hope that's normal?!
    Those style turbo's tend to be loud, especially at that price level. A trainer tyre might help. If you find you use it a fair bit this winter, and noise is an issue, then direct drive tend to be much quieter albeit at a cost.

Stopped off yesterday evening - wasn't much clothing left in Greystones anyway. Well loads of socks, but the "premium" stuff seemed mainly gone - didn't really check sizes as I didn't need anything (well I needed food, which was why I was there!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Need a front light for cycling on country roads and boreens at night. I'd usually do a 25-28 kmh speed, so need something to illuminate the road for potholes, roadkill, tractor muck etc. I have a couple of cheap LED flashers to warn traffic, so happy with that side of it, but they don't illuminate the road.

Would that €14.99 LED light be up to the job, or do I just get something totally different?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭AlreadyHome

i bought the large legwarmers - didn't see any XL ones - and they're a little bit tight around the garter. perhaps they'll loosen slightly for me.

Ah cycling... Probably the only group of (mostly) men who'll read a statement like this and nod sympathetically. Outside of the LGBT forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Red Kev wrote: »
    Need a front light for cycling on country roads and boreens at night. I'd usually do a 25-28 kmh speed, so need something to illuminate the road for potholes, roadkill, tractor muck etc. I have a couple of cheap LED flashers to warn traffic, so happy with that side of it, but they don't illuminate the road.

Would that €14.99 LED light be up to the job, or do I just get something totally different?

There've been a bunch of threads on cycle lights, and how you need a different kind of light for lighting ahead of you than you do for lighting yourself to be seen by drivers understandably distracted by the need to text mammy and say they'll be home, and to change the track on the CD player or radio, and to watch the big-bottomed blond(e) passing, and to GET YOU OUT OF THE WAY, and to reach the hospital to have their triplets delivered. Here's one of the threads:

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2055705708/29

I dropped into Aldi in Terenure; it was relatively late (lunch time) as I'd been waiting in for my helmet to be delivered. There was a wild feeding frenzy at the bike offers table, with people piling up orders for all the family. I got a nice merino base layer and a couple of merino caps (one of which was thrown back at me when offered because it had a peak; the beanies had all gone), and some of the gloves. The gloves are quite snug, but maybe that's just because they're new. Also got a few of those snood things for throat and hair - have one already and find it v handy. Got merino long-johns, also thrown back at me, so I'll be returning the hat and the long-johns and a rather too tight non-merino base layer today.

The merino was almost all gone by the time I arrived; pity, they were good. If anyone knows of merino beanies still on offer in any Aldi in the Rathmines circuit, do tell. (Colours on offer: washed-out grey or black.)

Red Kev wrote: »
    No, it's a decent "be seen" option, but not "a see" option. I use mine with my Cree light (which a lot don't like either because of a wide beam).

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Ger.O.Mahony

Maidhci wrote: »
    I wonder will the Galway branch price also drop to €49?

I wonder do Aldi stores price individual stock items that do not appear to move or is it done centrally, if the latter, it could be just a question of the old price tag not being removed? Will check it out if I am in there in the coming week.

I picked one up for 49.99 in the Aldi on Headford road last week, they were two left then.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

I picked one up for 49.99 in the Aldi on Headford road last week, they were two left then.

Thanks Ger, unfortunately, too late for me!! I checked yesterday and there were none left there or in the Westside branch. The one I was looking at earlier is in the Clifden branch, still priced at €79.99, as of yesterday and unlikely to move any further south, according to the store manager. Amazing how some managers reduce prices more aggressively than others. Thanks for letting me know all the same.

Might be the off season getting to me, but definitely more excited for Sunday's specials than the cycling ones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Wandered into a local Aldi on my way home today. I didn't really need anything... but I liked the look and feel of the merino socks and skull hat so I got them. I also got the Muc-Off cleaner and degreaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Those aldi "Moon lights" OEM lights are very good.

I now have 3 lights front and back of my road bike , two of the 14.99 ones across my handle bars and one high power 19.99 just under the stem.

For the back one 14.99 one under the saddle , another at the start of the rear stay and high power 19.99 down the seat tube.

Noticed lots of drivers looking at me lit up like a xmas tree coming down the Liffey quays this evening. I even felt more safe coming up to junctions with cars not pulling out in front expecting me to slow down for them.

Also on seeing some nice motorbikes with led lights on all day for the last few days , I see no reason for me to now not have mine on at all times from now on.

DominoDub wrote: »

Also on seeing some nice motorbikes with led lights on all day for the last few days , I see no reason for me to now not have mine on at all times from now on.

its generally regarded to be safer to drive with lights on during the day
    so i dont see why it wouldn't be the same for a bike

daytime running lights have been mandatory on all new cars for the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

daytime running lights have been mandatory on all new cars for the last few years.

Maybe it's one of those imaginary laws, like not using mobile phones while in control of a car?

Not all new cars have them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

got the overshoes bought size 6-8 even though my shoes are 9.5 /44 perfect
    I generally buy half a dozen lights from China at a time mainly dx.com usually cost me around a tenner shipped givenue up changing batteries.

This after buying a 25 quid catered that lasted 6 months before failing. Only buy cheap led lights now.

European Union Directive 2008/89/EC requires all passenger cars and small delivery vans first type approved on or after 7 February 2011 in the EU to come equipped with daytime running lights.[14][15][16] The mandate was extended to trucks and buses in August 2012.[17]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp

looking out the window here (i live on a busy road), it does seem to be primarily the newer cars with lights on. i'm certainly not seeing lights on, on all newish cars - but 'approved' could be key. the ford spangler mk II could be approved on the 6th of feb 2011, and go on sale a few months later, but it might only be the mkIII which then falls under the new regime several years later.

interesting to note there's concern about the power it takes to keep the lights on, and how that affects fuel consumption, based on a full 200W used by lights - that's about one quarter of a horsepower, so i'd say not exactly massive in the grand scheme of fuel efficiency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Not all new cars have them

They have them, they are not just disabled.

Advertisement