Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi 29th Thursday

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

European Union Directive 2008/89/EC requires all passenger cars and small delivery vans first type approved on or after 7 February 2011 in the EU to come equipped with daytime running lights.[14][15][16] The mandate was extended to trucks and buses in August 2012.[17]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp

looking out the window here (i live on a busy road), it does seem to be primarily the newer cars with lights on. i'm certainly not seeing lights on, on all newish cars - but 'approved' could be key. the ford spangler mk II could be approved on the 6th of feb 2011, and go on sale a few months later, but it might only be the mkIII which then falls under the new regime several years later.

Directives are just directives, they need to be written in to S.I in each country. I don't think that we have out that directive into an SI

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would have assumed that once one country wrote it in to law, it would be easier for the manufacturer to standardise the setting across all output regardless of destination country - or are cars 'flashed' with country specific settings?

i would have assumed that once one country wrote it in to law, it would be easier for the manufacturer to standardise the setting across all output regardless of destination country - or are cars 'flashed' with country specific settings?

They are flashed for country specific.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was thinking about this while out on the bike earlier - makes sense that the displays in the cars would need to be in the language of the destination market.

i was thinking about this while out on the bike earlier - makes sense that the displays in the cars would need to be in the language of the destination market.

Left hand drive , English speaking.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If the weather is nice in the morning, I'm going out on my bike. I'll probably do about 100k or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭secman

After my spin in the morning I'm off to Aldi to buy a car with daytime lights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

came here to mention what cycling related stuff I bought in Aldi and all I'm seeing is stuff about DRLs and EU directives..the level of up-tightness among some cyclists this morning is high :D

Anyway, I bought the jacket and a pair of those lobster gloves and some of that muc-off degreaser and wet lube.

used one of the long sleeved tops yesterday. it's a bit oddly proportioned. i just threw it on quickly in the shop so obviously wasn't paying enough attention. it's made for someone very barrel chested.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

Any thoughts on the lobster gloves? I had the conventional winter gloves last year but they were a nightmare to take on/off on account of the inner glove coming out each time you pulled your hand out. So I'm interested in the lobster glove but wonder if it's practical for braking and shifting gears etc... I must pop into aldi in ashbourne to see what stock they have left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Any thoughts on the lobster gloves? I had the conventional winter gloves last year but they were a nightmare to take on/off on account of the inner glove coming out each time you pulled your hand out. So I'm interested in the lobster glove but wonder if it's practical for braking and shifting gears etc... I must pop into aldi in ashbourne to see what stock they have left.
    I got the lobster gloves last year (after the same issue's with conventional gloves). No issues shifting or breaking - the only issue was opening/ unwrapping food on the go with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I got a pair of silk liners for my Sealskinz for the same issue; it hasn't been rainy enough to try them out for functionality yet, though. Real pain in the ass when you want to blow your nose and end up with a raw red icy wet hand and a half-inside-out glove.

Advertisement