Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Putting a beloved pet to sleep

• 22-09-2016 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi Everone

First time poster long time reader here. We have a beautiful 8 year old dog. Unfortunately he has had a number of health problems over the last few years. He suffers from canine epilepsy and has major fits very regularly. The normally happen at 3 am and he paces and howls for hours after. One of us will stay with him until he finally settles and goes back to bed. We have brought him to 3 different vets and tried all different types of medication and nobody can get it under control. We try and ensure that he is not exposed to stressful environments and he spends most of his day on our sofa looking into space. If we even have guests over it stresses him out and results in a fit.

Recently he has been having cluster fits that start at 3 am and he will have a number over a period of 24-48 hours. We brought him to the vet and they stated his liver was enlarged and he needed to be hopsitalised overnight as he needed fluids etc. She said it didn't look good and we brought him home to say goodbye to our children just in case as they adore him. But what do you know he was like Lazarous and when we brought him to the hospital he only needed a couple of hours on the drip and was full of life.

Since then he has gone down rapidly. Every evening he gets spaced out and walks into walls the tv the cooker and wont stop when he bangs into something he keeps banging his head off. This is very distressing for our whole family to see and for our poor dog who looks so miserable. It is like he is blind during this episodes and he can become quite anxious and has snapped once or twice. He no longer interacts with us no matter how hard we try. We have tried reducing the medication with the Vet's instructions but this results in more fits so it is a no win situation.

When we last were in with the Vet they mentioned it might be kinder to put him to sleep but we have been delaying making this decision as our children adore him. Last night he was very bad and the children were very upset and the eldest said I think its time we let him go mam he is miserable and it is not fair.

I guess I am just asking for advice on how to handle the situation. We love our dogs and they are part of the family they are in the house all the time with free access to our back garden. I know we will feel a big loss if and when he passes but our other dog will be heartbroken even though she is scared of him at the moment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

This is a very sad situation.
    If your dogs quality of life is so bad, then its time to let him go.
    Your other dog being stressed is tough, and your children being upset also.
    You have done your best for your beloved dog, its probably time now to face the fact that its the kindest thing to do, to have him put to sleep.
    Poor you, poor dog - but his quality of life should decide it for you -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I'm so sorry, but it sounds like you're right and it's time to let him go.

Ask your vet if they will come to the house to put your pup to sleep. That way, he'll not have the stress of going to the vets and will hopefully be calmer surrounded by your family and in his own home

It's very quick - the main point is getting a good vein. Once that is done, I always hold them and talk to them while the vet depresses the syringe and it's very very quick.

Such a sad time, but quality of life is so important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

My plan for my girl is really good last day, bit of ice cream, bit of chocolate (really, at that point...), have all my dog's people round to see her, and then vet's. Obviously your dog's would be different, but you get the idea. You could get the children in on it and have them help plan it. Kids usually want to have something to *do*, to help, to be involved, it really helps cope with the grief. You know your family better than I do, this is just a suggestion.

I know exactly what you mean about delaying the decision though. But that makes me determined to let her be at a good enough point that she can still have that good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mamto5

Thank you for all your replies I think we will go to the vet to make a plan tomorrow Our vet doesn't do house calls and to be honest I would not want anyone else to put him asleep as he was so good with our dog over the last 2 years. He was the only vet that made some sort of attempt to help him. We will make sure his last few days are comfortable and spoil him with all the food he loves but are bad for him and believe me there is a long list he loves all food you can't even have a cup of tea without him trying to put his nose into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

You know, it may be worth asking about the house call. Our vets won't come out to the house usually, as they say they can't diagnose without meds/equipment they have at the surgery. However, they do come out if requested to put to sleep, as they are only there for one purpose...

If it's best for the dog, they may make the exception.

All the best to you , your pup and your family. Take care

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I agree with the other posters. Our vet comes out to the house for us. It is much easier on everyone even the kids. All the best whatever you decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Mamto,

what a terrible situation. But, I agree with everyone else, it is now time. You have done everything you could.
    One thing I'd like to add: Even vets who don't do housecalls might be inclined to make an exception in this situation.Just ask.
    All the very very best. :(

A DOGS LAST WISH

Before human beings die, they write their last will and testament
    To leave their home and all they have to those they love.
    I would do such, if I could write, to a poor and desperate, lonely stray, I would
    give my happy home, my bowl, my cozy bed, my pillow, and my toys. The so loved lap, the tender stroking hands, the lovely voice, the place I had in someone' heart. The love that at last helped me find a peaceful end, held firmly in a sheltering embrace.

When I die, please don't say, "I will never have a pet again, the loss is far too much to stand." Choose a lonely, unloved dog and give him MY place. This is my inheritance. The love I leave behind is all I have to give.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

One bit of advice my missus always recommends to clients is to try and book into the vets when they are a bit quieter as it can be tough to leave the room after saying goodbye and then be greeted by a bunch of excited puppies in the waiting room, for example.

She'll do housecalls for clients that she has known for a while and knows she can trust as well, no harm in asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

When I brought my girls to be PTS last year the vets told me to make an appointment for their first slot so that I wouldn't have to wait at all. They were fantastic and even have me a blanket to wrap Ra in to take her home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Do ask about an Housecall. You said that your Vet has been very good to your dog over the last couple of years so maybe they might make an exception. I know the Vets here try and give you the last appointment of the day or see you just after the surgery closes in circumstances like your so you have time to say goodbye without feeling rushed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

As others have said most vets will do a pts at home, we've had all our dogs done at home by various different vets and they've all been far nicer than doing it at the surgery. The only thing that may stop a vet doing it at someone's house is some vets prefer a vet nurse with them to raise a vein and hold the dog, I've seen some owners get understandably very upset and can't or won't hold the dog or let go at the wrong time and with the risk of jabbing the owner their insurance won't cover accidents so you may get that response. If your dog is fine going to the vet and is used to it, then you could always request you are seen last after everyone else is done so you don't have to face a waiting room of people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I always planned with my vet for her to come to the house when the time came... but when it came to it, it just didn't happen that way, our vet just couldn't get to us when the time came.
    However, in these cases I've brought the dogs to her, but she has come out to the car and done the deed there... nice and quiet... nobody watching the tears. Now, my dogs loved the car and were completely at home in it, this wouldn't be an option really for dogs that don't travel well or feel upset in the car. But perhaps it's an option for you.

OP, I feel for you... one of the dogs I speak of above died of liver cancer. The other had epilepsy which contributed to the decision to finally let her go. So I can relate to what you've been going through, and I think everyone here can relate to how heartbreaking it is to have to make the call.
    I hope this doesn't sound too strange, but I think the lead-up to it is the very worst. Once it's done, of course there's the numbing sadness, but there is also a sense of relief that it's done, that your old pal is at peace now.
    I'm so sorry for you and your family OP. You're in that place that we all dread. I'll bet I'm not the only one reading your thread with a lump in my throat :(
    Good luck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mamto5

Thanks everyone we had a plan in place but unfortunately our dog had a very bad weekend and at the vets today it was decided it would be best for him to go today. Our kids are very upset as are we but we know it was best for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Hugs for OP :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Mamto5 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone we had a plan in place but unfortunately our dog had a very bad weekend and at the vets today it was decided it would be best for him to go today. Our kids are very upset as are we but we know it was best for him.

Sorry to hear but at least he'll not suffer any more :o
    We had to put our old boy of 11 down 2 years ago and I still get sad if I think about him for more than about 30 seconds (even though we have a new dog now!) but agreeing with what DBB said, the worst part is the build-up. Once you realise you did the kindest thing possible for your dog, it's a bit easier to come to terms with missing them :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

never an easy decision im afraid had to do it myself last week

its just the last act of love from us to them

Advertisement