Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed Pubs in Dublin City

Options
  • 22-09-2016 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I always find it a little sad when I pass an old Dublin pub that has been closed down and has remained untouched on the outside since the day it was closed. I'm sure these pubs each have had many good nights and each have their own story to tell. An example is the The Tenters on Blackpitts Rising. I was wondering do people have any nice stories of these now historical pubs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

This is the best history article I've read about a former well known pub recently. White Horse on Georges Quay which has since become an ubiquitous Starbucks. Worth a read!

https://comeheretome.com/2016/08/10/historic-dublin-pub-the-white-horse-now-a-starbucks-coffee-shop/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dunleaej

Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I believe there is a thread on this before.
    dunleaej wrote: »
    An example is the The Tenters on Blackpitts Rising.

Which will soon be demolished, once the building starts.
    ongarboy wrote: »
    This is the best history article I've read about a former well known pub recently. White Horse on Georges Quay which has since become an ubiquitous Starbucks. Worth a read!

https://comeheretome.com/2016/08/10/historic-dublin-pub-the-white-horse-now-a-starbucks-coffee-shop/

My only meeting with The White Horse was for one of it's infamous "Breakfast Club" raves at 7am on a Saturday morning! Life changing! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭curiousoranje

White Horse was soulless cack after they remodeled it during the tiger years. Believe the kitchen was shut by environmental health at some stage too.

****e seeing another Starbucks pop up, but it's not a great loss and the location next to GNIB office with loads of people hanging around all day, as well as the country busses, makes sense commercially.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dunleaej

Starbucks are destroying the city. In Rathmines there are 2 large Starbucks within 80 meters of each other. It's taking away from the traditional cafes and bars which I love.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Starbucks are destroying the city. In Rathmines there are 2 large Starbucks within 80 meters of each other. It's taking away from the traditional cafes and bars which I love.

Starbucks attracts a vacuous, airhead type of person as well as Wifi scabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dont use them then. And tell your friends and friends of friends and family not to use them either. And tell them why too.

I only use starbucks for emergency dumps now, and they are only marginally less foul than the coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭phenomenalcat

A mate of mine said that sackville lounge is closing down this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Confirmed unfortunately, not this weekend but very shortly. Weren't allowed renew the lease according to the staff, the building is part of a bigger portfolio.
    very sad, great pub :(

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

No laughing at the back, but the wife and I got engaged in the Sackville Lounge about 20 years ago - no big hoo haa on the night, done nicely and discreetly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Doop wrote: »
    Confirmed unfortunately, not this weekend but very shortly. Weren't allowed renew the lease according to the staff, the building is part of a bigger portfolio.
    very sad, great pub :(

Anything to do with the clearys development?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

The second starbucks took a premises that had house 3 or 4 failed businesses in the last few years. They couldn't make it work there, no reason SB shouldn't move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,549 ✭✭✭✭L1011

listermint wrote: »
    Anything to do with the clearys development?

Very unlikely - the same company owns Clerys and Briodys on Marlborough Street and it's not affected. Nothing that side is on the plans.

Liked the Sackville. Rare one manner left when the city is full of huge "venues" with food and crap disco bars on many floors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

That's sad about the sackville ...always liked a pint in there when up visiting Dublin..could always enjoy a quiet pint with a paper or book and always a bit of banter with the regulars.

L1011 wrote: »
    Very unlikely - the same company owns Clerys and Briodys on Marlborough Street and it's not affected. Nothing that side is on the plans.

Liked the Sackville. Rare one manner left when the city is full of huge "venues" with food and crap disco bars on many floors

Here is the link to the so called " spire portfolio" which involves the sackville premises https://photos-a.propertyimages.ie/media/8/4/8/3223848/75498e30-ffc5-4dcc-be2d-20a20c5e9c20.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Here is the link to the so called " spire portfolio" which involves the sackville premises https://photos-a.propertyimages.ie/media/8/4/8/3223848/75498e30-ffc5-4dcc-be2d-20a20c5e9c20.pdf

That suggests the Sackville Lounge lease wouldn't expire until 2022.

Sad to see it go. Great barman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Was that the place where Bertie was attacked by a guy with a crutch?

In any case it says "Breakdate - mutual" on the plan.

alastair wrote: »

States a mutual break option for February 2017

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

alastair wrote: »

Didn't like a little Jock tosspot who drank there, but aside from that quite a friendly little pub, good toasted cheese sandwiches as well.

Always odd seeing the untoasted sandwiches sitting ready in the tiny fridge to the side with the milk for the rare cup of tea.

If its not going to be a pub after whatever redevelopment occurs, some of the fittings will turn up elsewhere. There's victorian porcelain in the gents for starters. Far better if it stays in one piece in the same place, though.

• Advertisement

Was that the place where Bertie was attacked by a guy with a crutch?

In any case it says "Breakdate - mutual" on the plan.

Think that was Sean o Caseys next door . Looks like next Sunday is the last night in sackville

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I used work in Irish Life Centre and loved Life even when bizarrely it became a Cuban bar...as you do on abbey street. Then it opened a bar on the roof so you had to ring down to get drinks. I think we were only people going there!

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭septictank

L1011 wrote: »
    Always odd seeing the untoasted sandwiches sitting ready in the tiny fridge to the side with the milk for the rare cup of tea.

If its not going to be a pub after whatever redevelopment occurs, some of the fittings will turn up elsewhere. There's victorian porcelain in the gents for starters. Far better if it stays in one piece in the same place, though.

Had many the stumble going and coming from the gents in the sack, pity it's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Think that was Sean o Caseys next door . Looks like next Sunday is the last night in sackville

O'Caseys was bought by TP Smyth a few months ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Yep,its true.On the upside,the Neptune Lounge seems to be open again in the flowing tide.

Advertisement