Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance misquote - deposit paid

• 22-09-2016 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

I've been quoted by cornmarket for my car insurance. It was good value so I went ahead on the day and paid the deposit and waited for the direct debit mandate to be sent to me to fill out.

Direct debit mandate arrived and i sent it off yesterday along with my NCB cert. Ihave 2 yrs NCB in my own name and 1 yr named on my fiance's policy that doesn't overlap.

Cornmarket got in touch today to say that the quote they gave me was based on 5 yrs NCB, not the 2 in my name and 1 named.

My deposit has been paid, i mislead nobody. Am I now going to be charged extra? Where do I stand.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd say you are looking at extra premiums. Why did they quote you based on a 5 year ncb?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jenb550

I'd say you are looking at extra premiums. Why did they quote you based on a 5 year ncb?

Well I'm not totally sure. I suspect a bit of a c*ck on on their part. I said that I had three years ncb. I have two years on my own. I think the person on the phone who quoted me might have taken it up wrong. I suspect they thought I had two years on my own and three years named when it was actually not the case.

I'm yet to hear back and I'm sure the phone call was recorded so I'm sure I'll hear the exact conversation back in time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

jenb550 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been quoted by cornmarket for my car insurance. It was good value so I went ahead on the day and paid the deposit and waited for the direct debit mandate to be sent to me to fill out.

Direct debit mandate arrived and i sent it off yesterday along with my NCB cert. Ihave 2 yrs NCB in my own name and 1 yr named on my fiance's policy that doesn't overlap.

Cornmarket got in touch today to say that the quote they gave me was based on 5 yrs NCB, not the 2 in my name and 1 named.

My deposit has been paid, i mislead nobody. Am I now going to be charged extra? Where do I stand.

I was recently misquoted by liberty. Once they informed me of the misquote I had to pay the full price which was €150 dearer however after paying I then pursued the matter and as it was their fault they then refunded me the difference.

If I was you I would get a manager to listen to the call and see was it their fault or your fault that the wrong NCB was applied. If it was their fault then I would say that they made you an offer which you then accepted by paying the deposit. Hopefully at that point they will honor the misquote.

I have no idea what the legal stance is however when I pushed liberty saying that as I had accepted their offer I since turned down the other quotes from other companies and now am under an awful lot of pressure financially due to their mistake.

It will take a few phone calls or emails to get sorted though as they try and brush you of the first few times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

jenb550 wrote: »
    Hi,

They gave you a price.

The fact that they screwed up when entering the information doesn't matter, they are obliged to stand over the original quote, particularly as you accepted it and bound the cover by paying the deposit.

It was COMPLETELY their error so they should write off rhr difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The OP has advised that the recordings have yet to be reviewed. That will establish where the misunderstanding arose. If the OP was mistaken, then they have no comeback, if the insurer made the mistake and accepted the deposit BEFORE they re-quoted, they must stand over it

• Advertisement
Advertisement