Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air filtration on the cheap

Options
  • 22-09-2016 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I have my dust collection sorted for the machines I have, but want to build a cheap air filtration system along the lines of Mathias Wandel or John Heisz. Basically a cheap fan with a panel filter in a wooden frame.

Problem is getting the parts. I can get a desk fan cheap, but cannot seem to source a panel filter.

Id like to keep the cost under €100 as anything more means I might as well go buy a Record Power AC400 or similar.

Has anyone any experience of this? I am in Cork so either close or not too expensive delivery would be desirable.

Thanks Guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 skinnycrow

Maybe this is of use?

hrvfilters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=40&zenid=ff40aru9rl61ss34e2u10lbna7

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Maybe a kitchen extractor filter sheet.

Just a thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

Not exactly what I am looking for, but I did find the Vallox B300 filter set on the site you linked to. They will do nicely,

Thanks a lot! I will post the completed project if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sheriff_os

You can get those type of filters on Ebay from the UK:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/G4-Pleated-Panel-Filter-Pack-of-2-/142122687695?

You'll need to pay postage but it should be well under 100.

Savvas Papasavva did a good video on making a dust extractor\filter using the fitler listed above:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDEHHuBgTxo

Thanks Sherriff , looked promising dug a bit but they don't post internationally. :(. Bit annoying of them as initially it looks from the listing that they willl. Video looks good. I have seen one from ibuildit.ca (not allowed to link yet) that I plan to copy. I know what to search for now though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OP
    Have you read this
    http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

You also need to distinguish between HPLV and LPHV and what you are trying to achieve.
    No doubt you know that Chip collection and Dust extraction and filtration are two completely different problems

My guess is you will burn out the desk fan in no time, risking a fire.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Hi Calahonda,

Thanks for linking to to that, I appreciate the tips/

Yes I have done all of my research. Bill Pentz is a valuable resource but in my opinion he has an agenda and I distrust anyone who starts pushing his own product in the name of safety, much like the Sawstop guy. Nowhere does he give an actual verifiable source from a doctor for his claims, and he is approaching the problem as a person with a wood allergy. I don't have one.
    If you were to believe all of his writings you would need to spend thousands before getting started. I'm only a hobbyist, I can't afford a bandsaw or tablesaw yet, not to mind all that stuff.

I wear a respirator with P100 filters when using cutting tools, I have a shop vac with HEPA filters and auto start for handheld power tools with a homemade cyclone for bigger particles. I don't have a 100mm dust collection system yet as I don't have anything bigger than a router table. If I ever get something like a joiner I will get the Record power one.

What I am trying to achieve now is a system for after I have left the workshop and taken off the respirator, to keep the shop clean.

I will take your advice regarding the desk fan and use a heavy duty floor standing fan instead.

Thanks again for the help

Advertisement