Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

virgin media contract confirmation Mistake for cancellations.

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Which section did you go through to? Was it the loyalty team or some other? Did you press the option that they give you to press 1 if it relates to an email or letter you received?

Pressed 1.....straight through.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dingoxh

I received the email on 22 September, so technically my 14 day notice period expired yesterday.

I called them this morning and got someone in Limerick. I have phone,BB & TV and I told her Sky and Eir are doing great deals. She offered me 4 months at half price and a new router with an upgrade to 240mbps. I told her I thought €80 was still too high to be paying after the 4 month period was up so she then offered a permanent reduction to €70 p/m with 4 moths @€;50 pkus router and BB speed upgrade. I took that offer as it was a better deal over the year. €760 v €800 v €960 (original cost)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    I signed up to discount and new contract about two months ago with virgin... Is it possible to break contract? I'm considering going with sky for TV so might do better with a complete bundle from them
    Thanks
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Signed up to broadband 2 years ago and cancelled recently. Said they are gonna come collect the wifi box but Im having renovation done and the wifi plug power source has gone missing.

Anyone know if they will try charge me for the equipment if the plug is missing. They say 150 euro in their email. Also does anyone know what type of plug is needed for it? Not cancelled for another 2 weeks so would like to replace it to use the internet for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭torrevieja

havent got one yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

No. Only certain customers. Basically if you entered into a new contract with them as an existing customer or you got a new product as en existing customer and they never emailed you at the time with a confirmation of your new contract etc. then this was in breach of EU distance selling regulations (they were fined for this btw). This meant they had to send the emails months after they should have been sent and so if you were in the middle of a new contract as an existing customer after bargaining for 6 or 9 months half price a while back then this email confirmed that you had entered into a new 12 month contract and gave you a fresh cooling off period which meant you could leave without being subject to a cancellation fee. Anyone who got the email could either leave or ring up and bargain for another few months half price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What has to be in the email regarding your order that they were found not to be supplying? I changed package earlier this year, got a confirmation email but no mention of my new contract details such as the term or monthly fee.

It's mainly in relation to the cooling off period, as once you get the email then you have 14 days to cancel, as a lot of customers who either got new products/services or entered into new contracts didn't get this email sent to them, they technically weren't made aware of their right to cancel, among other things. This meant they were subject to a fine, and the email customers were supposed to get had to be sent out, meaning the cooling off period became active again and so customers could cancel. This led to affected customers who were locked in contracts started ringing up within the 14 day cooling off period and threatening to cancel and getting offered new deals such as 6 months half price on their packages.

There is lots of other obligations for distance selling which you can read below:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2013/si/484/made/en/print

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html

Bit more of a simplified version in the second link.

If they sent you a new email recently to cover this and it's gone past the 14 day cooling off period then you're out of luck and tied to the contract, bar paying cancellation fees.

I read that earlier and my letter at the time had none of the following
    The main characteristics of the goods or service
    The price of the goods - including all taxes

I never got the letter regarding the comreg decision though which is why I'm wondering what was supposed to be covered in the contract letter.

Well then you could try ringing them, explain this and then mention that you are going to make a complaint to these guys:

http://www.ccpc.ie/about/what-we-do

They may or may not do something for you. Maybe email them, because if you don't get through to an Irish person you'll be in for a horrendous phone call.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I may follow that route. The regulator at the time was quoted as saying this "made it difficult for the affected Virgin Media customers to recognise and see exactly what they were being charged for by the company."

I'm wondering if those who received the letters also received new contract details outlining their new billing amounts and package details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

chops018 wrote: »
    Well then you could try ringing them, explain this and then mention that you are going to make a complaint to these guys:

http://www.ccpc.ie/about/what-we-do

They may or may not do something for you. Maybe email them, because if you don't get through to an Irish person you'll be in for a horrendous phone call.

CCPC is not going to do anything, you need to contact COMREG http://www.comreg.ie/ which is the regulator for Virgin Media.

And they won't engage unless you have logged a formal complaint with Virgin Media and that has received it's final answer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

CCPC is not going to do anything, you need to contact COMREG http://www.comreg.ie/ which is the regulator for Virgin Media.

And they won't engage unless you have logged a formal complaint with Virgin Media and that has received it's final answer.

This is correct, I've had a brutal time with continuing faulty equipment and complete outages for extended periods and had to lodge a formal complaint twice with Virgin Media, both times Virgin failed to attach the complaint to my account but I rang ComReg anyhow and they took my complaint and currently acting as intermediary on my issues.
    If you are lucky enough to have the correct equipment then Virgin is class but if you have issues then good luck on their new Manila based helpdesk which is ran by proceduralised robotic responsive staff who make a balls of everything

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement