Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

virgin media contract confirmation Mistake for cancellations.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Got to love these fook-ups

Just finishing my 8th out of 9 month half price after their price increase got me out of my contract. And I had just renewed the contract for a year to get the €10 a month all you can eat everything mobile (including very fast 4G)

Then this. Because I already got the major discount the last time, they were sticking to their 4 months half price. But I did manage to get 6 months after persevering

Thank you bargain alerts and everyone in this thread, that's the guts of €300 saved in one 5 minute phone call :)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭onform

We have 120 meg broadband and Anytime Mobile home phone. My wife rang and the guy initially offered 4 months €10 off. Then when she turned that down, quite quickly half price for 4 months (€25 instead of €50).

He pretty much wouldn't budge to give the 6 months half price. The only way he would do it was to 'upgrade' us to 240 meg bb and an inferior phone pack, so we'd end up paying more after the discount period.

Repeatedly used the fear tactic of 'Well if you go to Sky it will take a month to be installed, and if you cancel today we'll disconnect you today'. My ar$e.

We are going to cancel within the 14 day window. We have plenty of other options for BB (Sky, Eir, Vodafone) and will research over the weekend.

It will give me great pleasure not to be giving any more money to this poor excuse for a company. This email is a great opportunity to be shot of them, I'd advise anyone else who received it think about doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Stiofain2006

Just called. They offered my six months. I said I was still going to leave....kept it going until she was about to pull the trigger on the termination. Then I said any chance you would do 9 months half price and she was like "sure why didn't you just say thats what you were after...I can do that for you no problem". She then threw in 2 months of Sky movies for free. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I got that email and without seeing the thread I rang up looking to see if I could a discount just for the craic.

I was just next month coming out of the negotiated 6 month (couldn't get 9 months) and they immediately offered me 4 months which I accepted I thought aha straight to the BA forums!

After reading this I just will have to go back and battle for the 9 months half price with my 14 day cool off period.

They must hate BA people like us, but their own fault really!

Would it be correct to say that people who got the email basically had no contract with them because of this feck up and they didn't honour their end of the bargain by supplying us with a written contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

To those of you who got a new broadband router included, what kind of improvement is it? Does it have a stronger signal?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Got that email also..
    I'm not sure what's best here.
    I'm out of contract in February. If I negotiate a deal now will that involve a new 18 month contract?
    Would I be better waiting until February and bargain as a new customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

KoolKid wrote: »
    Got that email also..
    I'm not sure what's best here.
    I'm out of contract in February. If I negotiate a deal now will that involve a new 18 month contract?
    Would I be better waiting until February and bargain as a new customer?

It's a new 12 month contract. You'd probably only get the same kinda deal in February as you'll get now so no time like the present I say. They might mess up again by then and we can all get more half price deals!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Wynnie12

Have to move out of the house for 3 months due to pyrite so this was the perfect opportunity to cancel.

I did say I'd stay with them if I was offered 9 months half price on a new 12 month contract. They would not agree to this so I just cancelled.

Was a win win situation for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

If I was to cancel now would I be cut off straight away or do I give 30 days notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭onform

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    If I was to cancel now would I be cut off straight away or do I give 30 days notice?

If you received the email yesterday regarding your contract, you are in a 'new' 14 day cooling off period and can cancel without the 30 day notice, more info here:

https://www.virginmedia.ie/contact/web-cancellation/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭shanec1928

When I cancelled at lunch time by the time I got home from work was cut of so I'd say it's straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I was told that if I cancelled today it would be instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

shanec1928 wrote: »
    When I cancelled at lunch time by the time I got home from work was cut of so I'd say it's straight away

That's a bit of a pain.I have TV,broadband and mobile.if its cut straight away I could be without all three until I get sorted somewhere else
    Might just get rid of TV and see will they do a deal on just bb and mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Anyone know if the loyalty Dept is open tomorrow ? I got the email on Thursday and only noticed this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Got 6 months half price this evening, had to push them a bit to get it as they were only offering 4 months. Either way its well worth the phone call. Thanks OP..

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

I signed a new contract during this period but im yet to receive the mail

Are they still in the process of circulating?

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Make sure to check your bill at the end, they may charge you for the full month!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

shanec1928 wrote:

Cancel your DD as you are paid up to date Incase virgin take another months payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭degzs

So how much is everyone paying ?

I got 6 months for € 46.75 and € 73.50 for the last 6 months. I have phone ANYTIME WORLD, BB 240MB and basic TV still on the old box didn’t move to horizon as heard bad stories.

I have a felling I could do better?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭dodzy

Anyone know if the loyalty Dept is open tomorrow ? I got the email on Thursday and only noticed this evening

Nope, you'll have to wait till 9am on monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭dodzy

degzs wrote: »
    So how much is everyone paying ?

I got 6 months for € 46.75 and € 73.50 for the last 6 months. I have phone ANYTIME WORLD, BB 240MB and basic TV still on the old box didn’t move to horizon as heard bad stories.

I have a felling I could do better?

All things being equal, the Hz box is still far superior to its predecessor, despite the few bugs. Your deal is pretty good IMO. I'm all for bargains but for 70€ or thereabouts, I'm amazed at the amount of people that feel they are not getting a good deal for the full package. Considering the BB speed, it really is the best offer out there. I'm one month out of 12mth (2 consecutive 6mth periods for €42 with 240 BB / MaxTV & anytime world). This was my first month at €84 and I got the email on Thursday so i'll bell them on Monday and hustle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

I'm on the 360mb BB and Home Phone, 6@30 and 6@60.
    In terms of service, I can't complain, its been excellent tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Only really need to push for 6 months half price cos they'll put their prices up again in February and the cancel or discount dance will begin once more. I got the email but haven't rang them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I'd kicked off the cancellation process before I got this email meaning I'll be charged 200 euro. Move house to area without VM coverage.

I've held the DD and will contact them tomorrow with a view to getting this charge removed.

Anyone in the same position and how did you get on? Seen a poster on page 1 in the same boat

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭jhansynk10

Called them up yesterday after receiving the email midweek, managed to negotiate another 9 month extension on the loyalty offer. That's half price on the top 360 meg package +phone + tv. Well worth a phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

I'd kicked off the cancellation process before I got this email meaning I'll be charged 200 euro. Move house to area without VM coverage.

I've held the DD and will contact them tomorrow with a view to getting this charge removed.

Anyone in the same position and how did you get on? Seen a poster on page 1 in the same boat

I sent the following via twitter DM "I note with interest the recent ruling against your company in regard to contracts requiring hard copy/email which wasn't provided when I took out services and I received the email apology today. I paid €200 to drop my malfunctioning virgin media TV service on 28/7/16. When will I be receiving my refund of this €200?"

offered credit against account or cheque the following day. Took the cheque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Anyone know what dates this applies to?I took out a new contract early this year with them,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

magentis wrote: »
    Anyone know what dates this applies to?I took out a new contract early this year with them,

Did you get an email last week? All those affected have done so according to the person I spoke to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I sent the following via twitter DM "I note with interest the recent ruling against your company in regard to contracts requiring hard copy/email which wasn't provided when I took out services and I received the email apology today. I paid €200 to drop my malfunctioning virgin media TV service on 28/7/16. When will I be receiving my refund of this €200?"

offered credit against account or cheque the following day. Took the cheque

Fair play and thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

magentis wrote: »

November 2015 to April 2016 is the period that Comreg has identified.

If you were one of the 26046 customers that is effected, you should have received an e-mail by now.

If you did sign up during that period and did not get the required documentation you might want to ask them about it.

Advertisement