Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

virgin media contract confirmation Mistake for cancellations.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Cyrus wrote: »
    they are obviously told to go with that first i got all that guff as well

dont panic :pac:

So does this work?

Step 1 VM put gun to the head of the customer and say "jump and I put your broadband in 20 minutes time".
    Step 2 say "grand, you can cut me off so".
    Step 3 VM say "Ah now, I will give you a discount so".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Zauka wrote: »
    Exactly the same happened to me. Girl told me they are reading all boards entries and how I want to proceed. I told her, want to cancel my contract or get a discount. She said, 20 minutes and they disconnect my internet connection. I said "wait a moment, can i schedule cancellation on monday or tuesday". she says "no, since this moment 20 minutes". Also, just to mention, she did not offer any penny as discount.

Tell her that you want cancellation with effect from x date. If she says no then ask for a supervisor

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Prunty

Had a long enough phone call, was offered 45 for 4 months and 70 thereafter - with improved internet (240), new modem (which I don't need) and a horizon box (I have the old crappy box) - my phone package however no longer exists and the offered package is not as good. Total of 740 for the year.

Asked for 6 months at 45 but was told it isn't possible because of my last few offers. I said that new customers are being offered the same package for 660, why couldn't I just cancel and open a new account? Was informed if I cancelled I couldn't avail of a new customer offer for 3 months. Also informed, that a new account from the same address would be investigated by the fraud team. Have asked for a manager call back.

Anyone any experience of opening a new account at the same address? They seem to be playing ball with offers in fairness but existing customers arent being looked after as well as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

So much for loyalty to existing and long term customers. Just off phone and all the rude guy could offer me was a saving of a whole e10. I've got everything off them. Phone.max TV.240 broadband and 1 multiroom. If I were to take up his offer today with a 12 month contract I'd only be better off by e10 from my current contract. Which has 3 months left on a 9 month half price offer.Then back to normal price of e104. Expires in march.If I was to let that run then from now to next September it would cost me e1100. With the guys "offer" it works out at e1090. Wouldn't budge when I mentioned sky's offer nor when I said is that the best you can do.I'll be shopping elsewhere in the new year come march.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭mjp

Never received the mail and in contract until next Feb with half price until November.
    Rang them today pretending to have received mail saying I wished to cancel. Said that they had no record f sending me mail and disputing that they sent mail. They were insistent that I would have to pay €200 cancellation fee if cancelled. Spoke to loyalty dept then but they had same views.
    Was worth a chance but no fooling them by looks of it.

hadepsx wrote: »
    So much for loyalty to existing and long term customers. Just off phone and all the rude guy could offer me was a saving of a whole e10. I've got everything off them. Phone.max TV.240 broadband and 1 multiroom. If I were to take up his offer today with a 12 month contract I'd only be better off by e10 from my current contract. Which has 3 months left on a 9 month half price offer.Then back to normal price of e104. Expires in march.If I was to let that run then from now to next September it would cost me e1100. With the guys "offer" it works out at e1090. Wouldn't budge when I mentioned sky's offer nor when I said is that the best you can do.I'll be shopping elsewhere in the new year come march.
    So cancel and take sky's deal. Then in 12 months get UPC broadband and keep sky tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

ted1 wrote: »
    So cancel and take sky's deal. Then in 12 months get UPC broadband and keep sky tv

True.but I'm worried about the length of time it will take to get it installed. It was mentioned to me in another thread that it can take upto 4 weeks. Even a week in my house without all the bb and tv would be like hell as the kids and d boss will go crazy. I wouldn't mind if I was here on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Naasayer

"Was informed if I cancelled I couldn't avail of a new customer offer for 3 months. Also informed, that a new account from the same address would be investigated by the fraud team. Have asked for a manager call back."

"Anyone any experience of opening a new account at the same address? They seem to be playing ball with offers in fairness but existing customers arent being looked after as well as new."

Be careful of this!! It looks to me (from what I have seen here and on ComReg website, that the email VM sent to customers is the Contract you should have got when you first set up your account with VM. They have been fined because they didn't give you a contract! Once you receive your contract (in this case, I think it is the email you received), you have 14 days "cooling off" to decide whether you want to take up the contract. So, you are not CANCELLING" you are just not taking up the offer of a contract. Therefore, you can tell them that you have looked over the contract and are utilising your consumer rights to not enter into the contract (change your mind). In that situation, you can then ring them as a new customer. They may maintain that you can't do that, but I don't see how they would have a leg to stand on with it. Just more scare tactics on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

hi , I received the email too.. I want out of upc straight away but my contract isn't up til feb, until this email arrives to me...

I want to keep their bb though, can anyone help me with whats the best way to do this.. can I cancel my tv and multi room box without penalty, but keep my bb or even get 360 mb {I'm on 240}. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Rang today and had to drag a deal out of them.
    Got offered €5 off for 12 months, then €10 off for 6 months, then half price for 4 months, €5 off for 4 months and full price for 4.
    Eventually after nearly an hour :eek:, got a final offer of half price 6 months and full price for the other 6.
    No way was there going to be a 9 months half price offer.
    No TV, just broadband and phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Think VM panicked to news and prepared in advance but given week passed and most people wouldnt give much thought to email unless they were switching thus they are looking at minimal loses in users and pulling out offers.

anyway if brave or really unhappy best to go with headshot attempt either decent deal or walk,weeks period notice to cancellation and ask for confirmation email.

Since was looking at worse scenario you cancel,use someone else name you live with and you still get few months discount even if not wanting to switch to another isp.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

I am thinking of downgrading my 240Mbps BB, TV and Phone contract to BB only....

Does anyone know if its possible to use a Sky Q box (@€;20 PM - offer finishes tomorrow) with a Virgin Broadband connection?

Or does the Sky Q box need a satellite dish?

hadepsx wrote: »
    True.but I'm worried about the length of time it will take to get it installed. It was mentioned to me in another thread that it can take upto 4 weeks. Even a week in my house without all the bb and tv would be like hell as the kids and d boss will go crazy. I wouldn't mind if I was here on my own.

They have a freedom broadband offering which is only a 30 day contract you could take that for a month

• Registered Users Posts: 28 missrosetaylor

Know someone who worked for VM previously - agents are full aware of customers trying to pull fast ones. Also are limited in the offers they can apply. QA will pull them on giving out too many top tier offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Yeah I only got six months in the spring when others on here got 9 and same again now. One of the key things seems to be too get in early!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

athtrasna wrote: »
    Yeah I only got six months in the spring when others on here got 9 and same again now. One of the key things seems to be too get in early!

My BB contract was up in feb 2017. Didn't push for 9mths but got the 6mths half price after asking for improvement on initial 4mth offer in a 4 minute call to a Dublin girl. Combined with my 200€ refund of prior cancellation charge it's been a good comreg ruling for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I rang them and talked to a very competent and nice fella from Limerick who knew exactly what he was talking about. Got offered the new modem and half price for 4 months, which I think is fair enough. So after the 4 months I'll be paying 5 euro more per month than currently so it works out at slightly less over the next 12 months for me.

Genuinely think if the guy on the phone wasn't so decent I would have cancelled and went to Sky 35 euro or Vodafone for 40 or Eir which works out at about a little more than that accounting for the 6 month discount over the contract period but having free BT and Eir Sport thrown in appealed to me too with them.

The last time I rang UPC/Virgin a while back I got through to Manilla and said "hi, my service is down... ect" and the operator said okay, can I tell you about our exciting triple bundle offers we are doing currently, if you upgrade with us we can give blah blah blah and rattled off a prepared speech for about a minute, I said I rang about my service being down and I would like to sort that out first please before anything else, and she started going on about my internet usage data and how I could get faster speeds on a different package. If I was an angry person I would have got angry . :D
    Then after a brief third attempt to up sell me a "deal", I was more curt and I was finally passed through to technical support to a guy with really hard to understand English. I asked him if he could reboot my modem from his end and that seemed to do the trick. If it had been a harder issue to solve I don't know what would have happened. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Just got 360Mb Mobile World + Horizon Max TV for €47.50 6 months & then €95 for the other 6 months. Was paying €38 for sky telly & €49.95 for 240mb broadband, so I'm saving about €200 for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭dodzy

Oral Slang wrote: »
    Just got 360Mb Mobile World + Horizon Max TV for €47.50 6 months & then €95 for the other 6 months. Was paying €38 for sky telly & €49.95 for 240mb broadband, so I'm saving about €200 for 12 months.

It's a great package, particularly if you have friends and family on the other side of the earth. The new hub is the business. Getting in the region of 170mb download on iPhone and iPad in the upstairs bedrooms. Superb stuff. I did split the 2.4/5ghz to show 2 different wifi names though as they are combined by default . The 2.4 is for the her indoors and the kids. The 5ghz is all for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Virgin Media are clearly redirecting all calls from the 20k customers effected to their Irish call centre for the 14 day period.

I rang Virgin Media and removed TV from the package.

Got 240 MB (up from 30 MB) broadband for 25 EUR for 4 months, 45 EUR for 2 months and 50 EUR for 6 months. 40.88 EUR per month on average versus 55 EUR per month previously. And no more paying for TV that I don't use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I received a physical letter in the post today. I'm on 9 months half price since January and it will end on the 28th of October. Will call them when I have time and I will not accept anything less than 9 months.

I received a physical letter in the post today. I'm on 9 months half price since January and it will end on the 28th of October. Will call them when I have time and I will not accept anything less than 9 months.
    Yeah, you tell em...............:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Have 120mg broadband and phone for e45 a month. Got offered e10 off for 6 months. Then got offered e25 off for 4 months and e10 off for 2 months with 6 months at full price. Was pushing for 6 months half price but was told as I got it already in the last 3 years i couldn't get it again. Not sure what to do now.

Doodoo wrote: »
    Have 120mg broadband and phone for e45 a month. Got offered e10 off for 6 months. Then got offered e25 off for 4 months and e10 off for 2 months with 6 months at full price. Was pushing for 6 months half price but was told as I got it already in the last 3 years i couldn't get it again. Not sure what to do now.

People around here are losing it......bigtime. What other service even comes close ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

dodzy wrote: »
    Yeah, you tell em...............:rolleyes:

I'll defo be getting a better deal that the shyte one you got, 20 euro off for 4 months, jaysus why did ya bother ringing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

My contract expired this month snad re-signed for a deal I'm happy with.

240mb BB and phone for €25 for four months €45 for two months then €50 for the remainder. I was paying €45 a month so I've kept my bill relatively on par. Also got rid of Horizon which was still in the wrapper when they first gave it to me.

No offer on my mobile package, have two sims. Agent outlined as we had already received an offer last year we were not ablet o avail of another, total nonsense, but I struggle to convey logic to the guys in the foreign office.

My main package was dealt with in an Irish office and while the guy stood firm at the start, he accommodated me in the end and I was happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

have to cancel my Sky now. When is the best time to ring them - 20+ minutes on hold is impossible for me at the min, or does anyone know what email address I can use? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Good stuff. I am currently on 9 months half price which ends in november. Then have 3 more months full price. Might give them a ring and see if I can get another few months half price. I assume it ties you back into a 12 month contract?

How did you get on with them? I'm in the same situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    How did you get on with them? I'm in the same situation.

I rang them last week. I was offered €45 for 4 months and €70 for 7 months. I didnt really push that hard and was planning on calling back. However over 12months its €670 and to cancel and sign up as a new member it would be €660 so not much bargaining power there. They also offered the new virgin media hub. I need to ring again sometime this week.

Advertisement