Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European car free day 2016

Options
  • 22-09-2016 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

Did you see anything on your cycle today?

There were balloons on the Coke Zero bike stands in Limerick city and at one stand they had free refreshments for cyclists, also there appeared to be goodie bags on each of the Coke Zero bikes for users.

I don't think people in Ireland are too pushed about changing from using cars or looking for alternatives.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was out an hour earlier than normal and traffic was bad enough then. Any prediction of rain and people jump in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

yeah i found traffic a good bit heavier than usual today!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe people thought it was the european free car day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I saw the Coke Zero crew blocking the cycle track on North Wall quay with boxes of crap. Also parked in the bus lane at traffic lights after crossing the road on a solid white line. Does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

I saw the Coke Zero crew blocking the cycle track on North Wall quay with boxes of crap. Also parked in the bus lane at traffic lights after crossing the road on a solid white line. Does that count?

Tut tut...it was for a good cause though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Roadhawk wrote: »
    Tut tut...it was for a good cause though.

Sure at 8.20am they missed many of the bicycle commuters such as myself. They'd have been better hiring a few billboards in the weeks up to it to highlight car free day.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I saw some balloons as I cycled past the Dublin Bike stand in Merrion Sq. Didn't know what it was until I went past. Seemed to be loads more cars out this morning though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

English reg car driving around with a European Car Free day balloon flying from it on Kevin Street earlier:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That was today?? Seriously??

Fack me.:rolleyes:

I was on me bike as usual. Traffic was as heavy as usual.

Go Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Maybe motorists thought they could use their cars for free today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

This was Dublin's contribution to European Car Free Day. You really would despair sometimes about this city's interest in sustainable transport.

"Dublin Cycle Hub at Wolfe Tone Square, from 3:00pm to 7:00pm 22nd September:

‘Public Transport through the Ages’ free family event open to all on Wolfe Tone Square, with an old Dublin street tram and old green double decker bus from the Dublin Transport Museum on display in the space, manned by a Conductor
    There will face painting, music and a number of fun activities for everyone to enjoy on the day.
    Coca Cola Zero pop-up ‘cycle café’
    Tea, coffee and refreshments are available in the resident Tram Café on the square."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

fat bloke wrote: »
    That was today?? Seriously??

Fack me.:rolleyes:

I was on me bike as usual. Traffic was as heavy as usual.

Go Europe.

I actually thought traffic was heavier than usual, not the heaviest this month but considering the bus strike was not on, it looked pretty bad, a sentiment shared by my driving work colleagues.

Advertisement