Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger Precision Rifle

Options
  • 22-09-2016 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Ok, I've seen these for sale here, but,

I thought that AR style rifles where illegal, and I know for definite that folding stock rifles are for sure.

So how come dealers are selling this which is both. Do you need a restricted licence to buy one of these in .308 because of the style and folding stock, or are folding stock a complete no no.

http://www.ruger.com/products/precisionRifle/models.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I thought that AR style rifles where illegal,
    Nope. But that's not one anyway.
    and I know for definite that folding stock rifles are for sure.
    Nope, never have been. They're not even restricted (because every single olympic rifle would have been classes as restricted if they'd done that at the time).

You *might* have a problem if your local Super said "that looks like an assault rifle to me therefore it is one under the act and therefore requires a restricted licence" (which is something we've been worried about for a while but haven't yet seen in the wild); but other than that they look like you could licence them on an unrestricted licence readily enough. They're basically just a bolt-action .308 with a tarted up bunch of plastic strapped to the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

Cool, a RFD told me specifically that folding stock where 100% illegal in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

He was 100% wrong and so far as I know, that has never been the case in Ireland.
    A shotgun with a folding stock does need a restricted licence, but even then, that's not illegal, it's just that you apply to a different person for the licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

PSXDupe wrote: »
    Cool, a RFD told me specifically that folding stock where 100% illegal in Ireland.

I've learned one thing over the years here. RFD's generally know very little about legal issues here & I personally will not accept their advise on anything shooting related.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Gorman700

I had no issue licensing one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement