Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virginia - " a marvel crammed into a neat two-hour running time"

Options
  • 22-09-2016 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

Just pre-ordered this on the PSN (Link) for €9 after reading some positive reviews on the neogaf thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282604) .

I've enjoyed my last few "walking simulators" like Rapture and Firewatch so this could be a nice way to spend a few hours.

From AV Club:
    “Lynchian” is a loaded term. In the right hands, it implies a deeper meaning behind a series of surreal images and events, an understanding that peeks from behind cryptic dream sequences and improbable happenings. In the wrong ones, it implies little more than a creative team that’s watched far too much Twin Peaks. Virginia lands on the better side of that divide. I won’t claim to understand the symbolism behind every moment and sight, but that hasn’t stopped the game from convincing me that said meanings do exist and lingering on them long after its short run time has come and gone.

It's also available on Steam and Xbox.

Comments

Next on my list to play, picked up Dear Esther yesterday, no sign of Firewatch on the EU Xbox Store yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I also picked it up today. I quite enjoy these 2-3 hour 'experiences'. My gaming tastes are increasingly moving in that direction.

The PS4 version of Dear Esther seems to be getting a rough reception in some quarters. I don't want to read any of the reviews because I know nothing about the game. But what's the issue? Is it a poor port or have people taken issue with the core game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Been looking forward to it for a while, will sit down to play through it tonight. One of the co-directors is based in Dublin too.

I've heard a few comparisons to Thirty Flights of Loving, which for my money is still the boldest piece of video game storytelling of recent times (although the lovely follow-up Quadrilateral Cowboy needs more attention than it's gotten too), so that has my interest very much piqued.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    The PS4 version of Dear Esther seems to be getting a rough reception in some quarters. I don't want to read any of the reviews because I know nothing about the game. But what's the issue? Is it a poor port or have people taken issue with the core game?

Can only speak about the Xbox version but I can't see any issues with the port. So probably the core game. These games ..... I hate calling them games because many aren't games at all really in the traditional sense they are more interactive stores or not even interactive so much as guiding a character around and nothing more and if you go in expecting a game you end up disappointed or feeling cheat out of pressing buttons or something.

• Advertisement

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I also picked it up today. I quite enjoy these 2-3 hour 'experiences'. My gaming tastes are increasingly moving in that direction.

For me they are they equivalent of a movie which I rarely have the attention span or interest in these days, and are something we can sit here and enjoy in an evening as a couple.

For me they are they equivalent of a movie which I rarely have the attention span or interest in these days, and are something we can sit here and enjoy in an evening as a couple.

I have no problem calling them 'games' as I know how and why they fit into the medium.

Incidentally, I think it's a bit rich for publications like Destructoid to question if these are games at all, while simultaneously pushing for videogames to be recognised as an art-form. It works both ways. If we set fixed parameters for what is and isn't a game then we're just another set of dinosaurs protecting a sacred club. Art evolved to include games (or perhaps it's the other way around) and games are now evolving to include these new types of experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Just finished it there. Not sure what was going on there but I already want to play it though again.
    The score is unbelievable, reminded me of some of the end of level music from Everybody's Gone To The Rapture.

Just finished it there. Not sure what was going on there but I already want to play it though again.
    The score is unbelievable, reminded me of some of the end of level music from Everybody's Gone To The Rapture.

Only thing stopping me playing it now is a bloody system update on Xbox /shakes fist at xbox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well those Thirty Flights of Loving comparisons were right - indeed, the game even gets a shout out in the credits! This now becomes the second in the list of truly, legitimately cinematic games - embracing the language of editing and cinematography to deliver something that feels startling, bold and most of all effective.

If the word cinema scares you off, then you probably shouldn't come near this - the aspect ratio is 2.35:1 and on PC at least the game recommends 30 FPS (you can change it, but a developer note encourages you not to). But unlike other games that have used that excuse, this generally feels like an interactive film. The use of smash cuts and traditions, for example, means the developers can actually 'compose' shots and scenes, so therefore the widescreen approach really does have the capacity to deliver considered compositions. The game also has a clear pace, and therefore can hit the sort of effective moments other games can't.

The story itself is simple in some respects, ambiguous in others, but above all delivered with confidence. The decision to exclude dialogue entirely works very well, a story mostly told through images and a lovely, lovely soundscape. You're given just enough room to explore that you can find environmental details that build on character, place and mood, and the the first person perspective is utilised smartly to ensure this is a uniquely interactive experience rather than a passive one (a tour de force sequence near the ends plays with the idea of first person in a particularly surprising and meaningful way).

There's one or two little things that annoyed me - the handful of short 'reminder flashbacks' damage pacing temporarily, although I reckon that may have been a small concession to accessibility. There's also a few story decisions that maybe aren't as powerful as others. But this is a beautiful and exhilarating experience overall, so much more effective and articulate in telling its interactive story than even the vast majority of games with generally acclaimed storytelling. It's definitely an essential play for anybody with an interest in gaming language and narrative, and hopefully the latest in an as yet short but exciting line of games that make 'cinematic games' a cause for celebration rather than mockery.

• Advertisement

Well those Thirty Flights of Loving comparisons were right - indeed, the game even gets a shout out in the credits!

The Steam blurb for Thirty Flights of Loving says it's a sequel to Gravity Bone. Do I need to have played the latter title first? I see that it's available for free from their site but I'm on Mac and it's Windows only. There's a few Let's Plays on YouTube but all of them come with irritating commentary.

Edit: Not to worry, I just purchased it and Gravity Bone is included. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'd be tempted to grab it, definitely getting a Twin Peaks vibe from what I've seen of it so far, and it's looking very, very interesting indeed.

Links234 wrote: »
    I'd be tempted to grab it, definitely getting a Twin Peaks vibe from what I've seen of it so far, and it's looking very, very interesting indeed.

I read somewhere it deserves it's 'Lynchian' tag

Finally got around to playing this through, it knocked me for six. It's absolutely sublime. The lack of dialogue and use of music is excellent and they jarring cuts really mess with you, more so than if you were simply watch and didn't have a controller in your hand.the movie aspect ratio all worked.

One of the most unique things I've "played" for a long time. You really feel like you are just along for the ride but thats actually a massive positive.

Even the achievements and titles and descriptions left me thinking wtf.

Loved the nods to things like twin peaks and xfiles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Found this to be migraine inducing. Lasted about thirty minutes and just had to turn it off. Wasn't keen on what I played. Ended up doing the directories commentary in firewatch instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Very conflicting opinions above! Hoping to give it a go tonight.

Advertisement