Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prices or recommendations for moving a window.

Options
  • 22-09-2016 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all, hope this is in the right place.

My wife and I are expecting for January and want to get this job out of the way asap.
    What we want is to move a window from the gable end of the house to the adjacent wall in the same room.
    The window is around 145cm wide by 125cm high. The work would involve removing the window from the cavity wall and cutting
    into the other wall to put the same window in place. The hole where the window was removed is to be cut down to floor level
    and patched up so we can get the door guys to fit double doors.
    Obviously we want the new window location to match from the outside with concrete sill and surrounds in a pebbledash wall.
    Hard to describe but hopefully you get the idea.

So, what kind of price range should cover this?
    And also,if anybody had similar work done and can recommend somebody in the Cork city area, I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

~€3k for 2g double & window
    2 men for week 2k
    +500 skip, insurances & materials

~€5k

• Registered Users Posts: 27 conorkeating

BryanF wrote: »
    ~€3k for 2g double & window
    2 men for week 2k
    +500 skip, insurances & materials

~€5k

Thanks for the reply Bryan.
    But I've got to admit that I'm staggered by the estimate. I think you've misunderstood the work involved.
    The window is being reused so no new materials there. It only involves cutting the opening in a wall (probably with a consaw), fitting the window, cutting the hole left by removing the window from old position down to the ground with a consaw again and then fixing up a bit of plastering etc. Definitely not a weeks work for 2 people. I had a quote for 1,500 a few while back but he's unavailable now so I was expecting closer to that range!
    I'm sure that will clear up our misunderstanding : )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 mamalawlor

Jaysus that's an extortionate quote tgat job is 2 k max done and dusted inside 4 days come on lads its not 2004

Thanks for the reply Bryan.
    But I've got to admit that I'm staggered by the estimate. I think you've misunderstood the work involved.
    The window is being reused so no new materials there. It only involves cutting the opening in a wall (probably with a consaw), fitting the window, cutting the hole left by removing the window from old position down to the ground with a consaw again and then fixing up a bit of plastering etc. Definitely not a weeks work for 2 people. I had a quote for 1,500 a few while back but he's unavailable now so I was expecting closer to that range!
    I'm sure that will clear up our misunderstanding : )
    New double door?
    How old are the Windows ? Id just replace rather than relocate if they are more 10years old.
    Have you factored in making good: threshold, steps, plastering reveals,matching skirting?

Edit: and paying vat

Edit: if the window gets broken during removal, who's paying for that?

mamalawlor wrote: »
    Jaysus that's an extortionate quote tgat job is 2 k max done and dusted inside 4 days come on lads its not 2004

Pricing 1.4wm2k overall average double glazing currently for double door & widow of that size: average spread of reputable companies excluding fitting = ~ 3k ( not passive standard stuff by any means)

Average Labour rates in cork city 25€ per hour ( upto 40 in bigger jobs where company has overheads) =200 per day X 4 days X 2men + vat = ~2k

1ton Skip bag is 100€ + disposal 100€ + insurance and materials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

Bryan, I think they are pricing the new glazing seperately.

Would it really take 4 days for two guys to cut a hole in the wall and put in a lintel?
    I know that it only takes a couple of hours at most to remove and install a window.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi all, hope this is in the right place.

My wife and I are expecting for January and want to get this job out of the way asap.
    What we want is to move a window from the gable end of the house to the adjacent wall in the same room.
    The window is around 145cm wide by 125cm high. The work would involve removing the window from the cavity wall and cutting
    into the other wall to put the same window in place. The hole where the window was removed is to be cut down to floor level
    and patched up so we can get the door guys to fit double doors.
    Obviously we want the new window location to match from the outside with concrete sill and surrounds in a pebbledash wall.
    Hard to describe but hopefully you get the idea.

So, what kind of price range should cover this?
    And also,if anybody had similar work done and can recommend somebody in the Cork city area, I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers!

Replacing a window with a door the same width or smaller is the cheapest option as the existing lentil will do . To put the new window in will cost more because you neeed to out in a lentil .

Expect 1400 for the door , 800 fir the window and 1000 labour

I just realised a key piece of information which I never stated (oops). The opening where the window is now is between the living room and conservatory, so when we take out the window and cut down the wall it will be simple internal double doors.
    I think that's why the prices were so much higher than I expected. My bad.

Advertisement