Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car to The Ring for €1500

• 22-09-2016 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭

So going to nurburgring for a weekend on 4th November and decided I dont want to put the mileage and general wear and tear on my own car so looking to buy a track/road car for the job...

It's costs €1100 to rent a Twingo for 12 laps and petrol over 2 days so decided I would just go buy something to get me over for about €1500... also have European AA cover so it if breaks I can get home..

So looking for something with about 200bhp really for €1500... all I'm looking at at the mo is 1.8T GTI's loads of 150hp ones and get about 180 with a remap..

Any other ideas for that money?? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Toyota Celica Gen 6 beams(197bhp) or Gen 7 (190bhp) can be bought for 1500....

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

I'm thinking something that would also be comfortable to get there and should be able to get you around the ring while putting a smile on your face, something like this maybe?

Or are you looking at something "really" sporty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Toyota Celica Gen 6 beams(197bhp) or Gen 7 (190bhp) can be bought for 1500....

Getting harder to get a red top beams for
    1500 still nothing wrong with a non beams 3sge great engines they are super reliable and perform consistently.

Gen7's are decent too but you need to be aware of what to look out for on the 2zzge (lift engagement, lift bolts, coolant circulation and head gasket are the main ones)

Another one to consider would be a h22 prelude generally very cheap and again very reliable.
    Bhp varies from 150/160ish up to 200 depending on engine code.

Some cheap ish accord type r's and sir-t to be found as well but not as cheap as celica's or preludes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭oo7tk

Great shout on the Celica there are a good few out there for decent money, defo a contender...

Yea defo not wanting something comfy, want something sporty but the bit of comfort would be good...

Leaving home a c63 so the more power the better but I like the Celica a lot... are they realible?? Sure they are being a jap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »

Pretty unreliable though and temperamental especially sh1te like the second turbo not coming on boost.
    Complex things to work on too.

For piece of mind I'd be recommending op stays n/a €1500 turbo sporty cars are a minefield

Holy crap that's a lot of car for €1500, 260 bhp!!! Would be the perfect motor also for the trip also if it was reliable..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

oo7tk wrote: »
    Great shout on the Celica there are a good few out there for decent money, defo a contender...

Yea defo not wanting something comfy, want something sporty but the bit of comfort would be good...

Leaving home a c63 so the more power the better but I like the Celica a lot... are they realible?? Sure they are being a jap
    In this price range, you will have to carry out a thorough inspection no matter you buy in fairness, a lot of abused "sport" cars out there.

What about a 'warm' hatch, something like this? Or this? (I know, one lost the logbook rolleyes.png and the other doesn't know how to take pictures...) but in fairness, it's not like you're gonna keep it afterwards and both should be good fun to trash around, you won't have the extra thrills of RWD you'll have from the beamer though...

This should be good fun to trash around as well, had a rental of it back in the days and yes it looks like an Astra from the same era but god it's fun in the corners wink.png, might be able to source a more powerful one elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Whatever you buy, make sure it's mechanically perfect before bringing it on the ring. If you dump coolant or oil you're ****ed if anyone crashes as a result

I like the idea of the celica, plenty of them about in that price range so picking up a decent one shouldn't be too challenging.

I'm quite jealous, definitely the highlight of the year going there

• Advertisement

Yea I want something sporty really, my mates are all buying Clio 172, 182 and 197's but I don't have the budget really so want something to keep up with them on the way over too..

The Celica is defo a runner, would love the thought of the Legacy but yea the Twin Turbo would be a worry alright...

Yea my mate is a mechanic the car will be inspected...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TheCockpitGuy

Other costs to factor in:

Ferry from Dublin to Holyhead
    Ferry from Dover to Calais

Fuel across UK and across Europe

Tolls

Extra days travelling with meals etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Other costs to factor in:

Ferry from Dublin to Holyhead
    Ferry from Dover to Calais

Fuel across UK and across Europe

Tolls

Extra days travelling with meals etc.

All this is booked already, I was going to do it in my C63 so I'll save a few hundred on fuel at least... Staying in sebine Schmitz hotel... all I need now is the car...

Like I have a c63 AMG Coupe with 30k miles.. I would end up putting 4K miles on it and €500 for tyres ans whatever on fuel and pads it would actually work out about the same to be honest...

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    BTW if you bin it on the ring it starts to get very very expensive. You can end up paying thousands to repair the track and for other costs. So dont try to be a hero!

I agree, drive like your on a road not on a track ☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

EK9 or DC2 :)

Nm_Zl_MDRh_Mjgz_NTQ1_Nzdk_ZDA1_Yj_Rl_Mjg1_Zm_E3_Nj_Zm_Zm_GLNzm_W.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-carina-gti/13324528

A celica underneath with a carina body :cool:
    And you get to pretend you're a touring car driver from the 90's :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

OP did the Twingo price include the cost of the laps? Last time i was there it was 27 a lap so thats €324.

Id strongly recommend renting one off need4ring or one of those lads. The cars are actually setup for it.

Oh and as the lads above said, dont be a hero, its fecking awesome to drive but equally terrifying. im wondering if you are doing the 12 laps in one day? Because if you are you'll be absolutely knackered!

Hope i dont get in trouble for this but here is the link to the guys i used. http://www.needforring.com/index.php/cars/car-rent

Tefral wrote: »
    OP did the Twingo price include the cost of the laps? Last time i was there it was 27 a lap so thats €324.

Id strongly recommend renting one off need4ring or one of those lads. The cars are actually setup for it.

Oh and as the lads above said, dont be a hero, its fecking awesome to drive but equally terrifying. im wondering if you are doing the 12 laps in one day? Because if you are you'll be absolutely knackered!

It's it's €29 a lap I think and €200 for 6 laps and then petrol also and that would be for 2 days so looking about €1k

How can I tell the difference between a normal Celica and a beams engine???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

It's it's €29 a lap I think and €200 for 6 laps and then petrol also and that would be for 2 days so looking about €1k

Its a grand for a megane RS off these lads, all inclusive price. http://www.needforring.com/index.php/cars/car-rent

But you can go cheaper and get the Fiesta ST and pay half that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Surely someone has a 2.5 V6 Alfa 156 lying around somewhere.....

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1998-mercedes-c230-compressor-sport/12123002

not sure about reliability but supposedly more robust than the clk230 komp
    200bhp lots of torque good handling car and it's in keeping with your choice of mercs ;)

Surely someone has a 2.5 V6 Alfa 156 lying around somewhere.....

Rare as rocking horse teeth these days. If one was for sale tomorrow for under 2K I'd go out and buy one. Fantastic cars but I'd prefer a 1.8ts for the ring. You can properly attack the bends with the ts, the v6 is just to heavy up front

My girlfriend says I'm mad to buy another car and offered me her 2004 John Cooper Works as long as I put 6 pot brakes on it 😳

How could I refuse and will end up costing around the same anyway for 6 pots...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Have you checked the ring os open in november ??? its shuts its gates at some stage once the snow and ice set in, whats your regular car ??? i cant see how there sence in buying a car just for the trip over ?? the 1500 will soon turn to 2500 once you tax, tyres, service it ready for the trip, no car for 1500 will be maintained suffuicneyl to just head of ffor the boat in. Wear and tear should be mininal for the trip, maye be 2000Km and track time. Unless you planning on crashing or braking down on track then the 1500 E will be the least of your worried,
    dont forget to budget the ring tick as its about 30E per lap also

Back to topic Mx-5 , cheap & you done need anyhting more powerful on track unless your very well experienced.

My girlfriend says I'm mad to buy another car and offered me her 2004 John Cooper Works as long as I put 6 pot brakes on it 😳

How could I refuse and will end up costing around the same anyway for 6 pots...

Wife her :pac:

Notch000 wrote: »
    Have you checked the ring os open in november ??? its shuts its gates at some stage once the snow and ice set in, whats your regular car ??? i cant see how there sence in buying a car just for the trip over ?? the 1500 will soon turn to 2500 once you tax, tyres, service it ready for the trip, no car for 1500 will be maintained suffuicneyl to just head of ffor the boat in. Wear and tear should be mininal for the trip, maye be 2000Km and track time. Unless you planning on crashing or braking down on track then the 1500 E will be the least of your worried,
    dont forget to budget the ring tick as its about 30E per lap also

Back to topic Mx-5 , cheap & you done need anyhting more powerful on track unless your very well experienced.

Is it open and it's all booked up just don't want to bro g my daily which is a 2012 c63 AMG as I do t want to put the mileage on it...

Well hopefully now I'll have a JCW mini for the job ☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

sorry missed the AMG bit above, perfect valid reason to buy a banger for trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I know you're sorted op but if you change your mind the MG ZS posted on the previous page is full of WIN as a track day car

• Advertisement

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/649053/mini/k-sport-front-big-brake-kit/bm23-1-330x32.html

Just bought these for the JCW, should make it stop alright 😊...

Also got a short shift kit and a new air con condenser ordered... All I'll need then is 2 sticky front tyres and I'm track ready..

Advertisement