Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about broke equipment

Options
  • 22-09-2016 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

I bought a kitchen appliance for my small cafe 14 months ago and it is now broken. Seller is claiming no responsibility as it's outside 12 months. I know if I had bought this personally I would have a reasonable expectation for the equipment to last beyond 12 months. The item is the "heavy duty" model and is not used excessively. But as I bought it for my business are my rights different? I'm a sole trader if that makes any difference.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You'd get longer than 12 months out of a pro kitchen equipment, check with the manufacturer and you may have a better warranty than 12 months with the vendor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Well, as a sole trader you are not a company so this might be an angle?

qwertz wrote: »
    Well, as a sole trader you are not a company so this might be an angle?

nope shouldn't make any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

duploelabs wrote: »
    You'd get longer than 12 months out of a pro kitchen equipment, check with the manufacturer and you may have a better warranty than 12 months with the vendor

Thanks for that. Both the vendor and manufacturer say 12 months is the limit but from what I've read if it was for personal use I'd be covered under Sale of Goods Act as 14 months is not a reasonable length of time for it to work.

What I'm wondering is if the rules are different when buying for commercial use? Not the manufacturers rules as they are superseded by the legislation in relation to personal use anyway.

littlejp wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Both the vendor and manufacturer say 12 months is the limit but from what I've read if it was for personal use I'd be covered under Sale of Goods Act as 14 months is not a reasonable length of time for it to work.

What I'm wondering is if the rules are different when buying for commercial use? Not the manufacturers rules as they are superseded by the legislation in relation to personal use anyway.

A warranty is a warranty, irregardless of for what purpose you buy it. I've seen chefs in kitchens hammer equipment and then wonder why it breaks, one case being a robocoup soup gun (they're massive two handed yokes) being whacked off the side of the saucepan and then the chock bearings would fail every 2 months or so. I've had exactly the same machine, use it 7 days a week and for the past 6 years and the bearings have only failed once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You do not benefit from the protection of the Sale of Goods Act or the unfair terms in contracts provisions.

Commercial equipment is a whole different world from consumer equipment. If you want a guarantee of 24 months, you need to negotiate that with the vendor.

Advertisement