Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penneys Patrick Street Revamp

Options
  • 22-09-2016 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Forgive me if there is already a thread on this but I couldn't find one.

Does anybody know what the latest is with Penney's plans for their St. Patrick's Street block is? I had heard a planning application was due to be submitted in early 2016 but that has clearly not happened.

Any particular reason for the delay? I wonder (pure speculation on my part) whether they would temporarily move to The Capitol while their own store was being renovated?

More details:
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/penneys-big-plans-for-patricks-street/563603/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I doubt the backers behind the Capitol would allow their trophy development be occupied by a temporary tenant. I'd say they'll be pitching to the likes of Zara, Forever 21 or other big name international retailers that do not yet have a presence in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I'll say it will be done in stages without closing or moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Walked through Cook Street today. It's looking a bit run-down and vacant as a result of Penneys buying up all their side of that street in advance of this development. It's a shame it hasn't moved more quickly.
    I still wouldn't be surprised if we saw them move to The Capitol temporarily. It wouldn't look great for JCD but they may make them an offer they can't refuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I have a feeling that Penney's might make a planning application soon-ish. It went very quiet for a while; perhaps they were doing some site assembly, addressing title issues, and/or were busy expanding elsewhere - in Europe and USA. Cook street does look quiet as does that section on OP Street between Penney's and Cook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Walked through Cook Street today. It's looking a bit run-down and vacant as a result of Penneys buying up all their side of that street in advance of this development. It's a shame it hasn't moved more quickly.
    I still wouldn't be surprised if we saw them move to The Capitol temporarily. It wouldn't look great for JCD but they may make them an offer they can't refuse!

JCD are expected to unveil their anchor tenants in just a few weeks according to d'Echo and the Examiner.
    Sports and fashion outlets to take the bottom floor, office space above.
    Penneys moving in there is a non-runner I'd say.
    There was talk that they'd go into Mothercare, but with that Danish crowd opening in November, that's out of the way too.
    What's that one down next to Three and Easons? A-Wear? That's usually empty save for a seasonal shop so that might be an option for them, and there's the soon-to-be-developed trio of buildings next to Golden Discs that used to have Gloria Jeans in it too. Might be a bit narrow even with all three units involved, though. Plus, some major work would need to be done to make it ready for even temporary use.

• Advertisement

That's interesting.
    Permission has just been granted this week to merge the former A Wear store with the Champion Sports shop behind in the Savoy Centre. This is all for a new JD sports outlet.
    Either way, I think it would take a far bigger space to house Penney's, even on a temporary basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

That's interesting.
    Permission has just been granted this week to merge the former A Wear store with the Champion Sports shop behind in the Savoy Centre. This is all for a new JD sports outlet.
    Either way, I think it would take a far bigger space to house Penney's, even on a temporary basis.

I hadn't heard that. Guess that's another one off the list, then.

Realistically, there aren't many big sites left in the city centre so - certainly few that Penney's would be happy to take, even temporarily.

The Echo's 2015 report on the development (http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/penneys-big-plans-for-patricks-street/563603/) said the store will close for up to two years to accommodate development...

Where else can they go?

Savoy night club?

All jokes aside they have factored in closure for two years so a temp location mightn't be on the agenda for them at all.

I hadn't heard that. Guess that's another one off the list, then.

It will be good to see the A Wear store coming back into use. They were refused permission for a frankly awful new shopfront but the merger of the two spaces is following an ongoing trend on the street.
    Where else can they go?

You're right about the space issue. Which is why I say it's either the new Capitol OR they stay where they are and tough it out through the building work. I can't see them wanting to leave the city centre completely for two years!

Augeo wrote: »
    Savoy night club?

All jokes aside they have factored in closure for two years so a temp location mightn't be on the agenda for them at all.

The downstairs 'Champion Sports' unit is the one that is merging with A-wear. Don't know what's happening the nightclub. Is it even open any more?

• Advertisement

........... Is it even open any more?

Nope, that's why I mentioned it ..... not overly suitable though. Could get a womens & kids wear set-up in there though I reckon.

"It's Ireland's largest lingerie section Ted" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Zooouma

Heard awhile back merchants quay is being sold. Looks like it's true seeing as upstairs is dead in there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Zooouma wrote: »
    Heard awhile back merchants quay is being sold. Looks like it's true seeing as upstairs is dead in there

I really wouldn't mind seeing that monstrosity leveled.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

There's a new restaurant/cafe opening in merchants quay - saw it on their Facebook page today - I think it's called The Pantry. Isn't there a place with the same name elsewhere in the city?

The whole merchants quay centre is up for sale was on examiner on Thursday there is a shop in Blackpool was known as the pantry for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

There is no way Penneys would close down for two years. It's likely that they would try to keep a section of the shop open and work around the builders.

I'd say they will work on the Jack and Jones building and the others and trade where they are and move in and then work on the existing building.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bleakforest

God it's quite the eyesore remember all the shops along the quay before it was built.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Penneys have always worked around store refits. As mentioned above, they'll section off parts of the store and work on it bit by bit. I'be seen this happen in O'Connell Street and Crescent SC in Limerick and again in Mary Street and O'Connell Street in Dublin.

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    The whole merchants quay centre is up for sale was on examiner on Thursday there is a shop in Blackpool was known as the pantry for years.

11.25% yield, impressive.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/merchants-quay-shopping-centre-expected-to-sell-for-12-5m-1.2805982

Seems to be quite a viable centre to be fair.

I presume this project has been completely shelved now? That's an entire city centre block lying half empty.

I doubt that will definitely happen I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

still hapening.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

still hapening.

Any timescale or likelihood of when it's happening?

overmantle wrote: »
    Any timescale or likelihood of when it's happening?

Today's Examiner says that planning will finally be submitted for this redevelopment in the next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

I hope it goes ahead but it will be sad to lose Jack & Jones and the store below it, even Tiger. Hopefully the first two will relocate to the new building opposite where Gloria Jeans was.

Anymore on Merchant's Quay? I hope the side redevelopment starts soon, it looks really good. I hope not much else changes in there though (unless they want to maybe open up the Quay side a bit more). I love the upstairs O' Brien's and The Pantry. Hopefully something moves in to that empty lot where I think Golden Discs were

Today's Examiner says that planning will finally be submitted for this redevelopment in the next month.

Looks like we'll be waiting a little longer for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Drove by earlier, all the neighbouring shops are still in place.

Nothing will happen this side of christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

That's a pity; My understanding was that they had made progress on acquisitions and have been progressed with a planning application.

Advertisement